4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

For those who's key fob stops working....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
kylecpcs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is not a problem with the fobs

The problem is not with the FOBs, it's not dirt or pocket lint inside them, it's not weak batteries. It's something with the electronics in the truck.

Mine did this on the way home from the dealership the day I bought it, which was back in early 2009 just a few weeks after the new body style hit the show room floor. The truck had less than 5 miles on it.

I have added an after market Clifford alarm with the 2 mile range LCD transmitter...doesn't fix it.

When it happens, the door locks INSIDE THE TRUCK DON'T WORK EITHER! You can literally pound on the door locks inside the truck, on any door, for 10 minutes and it will do nothing...then all of a sudden, they'll work.

The dealerships have no idea how to fix it...none of them.

Bottom line, everyone...stop blaming the FOBs, and don't count on ever getting a fix.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Cal'sFirstRam
Amateur

Correct, I've even taken video of it with the camera in my phone. I've had it happen once or twice exiting the truck after I've parked. Reach over to lock the doors from the door button first and nothing happens...it seems that every time it's happened to me it's not a matter of hitting the door button over and over till it works, but after you try it and it doesn't work...wait a few seconds..then it works from the remote or the door. We have three 2009 rams at my place of work and all do the same.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 AM
qicvick
Professional

Mine is an 09, I actually bought a new fob about a year ago, it doesn't work either, it will about half the time but I'm afraid to use it... Here is the kicker.. My wife's fob works perfect!! Never once has it failed!!! Still has the same battery in it! Never been apart! Both of mine had new batteries put in, taken apart many times and cleaned, I never use mine now except if my wife is with me, I know hers will work and chances are mine won't. In my case I believe it is the fob.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 AM
tadst34
Rookie

If everyone would take a few minuets and call dodge and make a complaint to the recall department. It takes less time than writing a post on this site about your locks ( not just fob).

I even got the phone number for you

1 (800) 423-6343
1800 4 a dodge.

They will even assign a case manager
Please call so they do something.

Last edited by tadst34; 08-25-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Smoothbassman
Professional

I just gave up on it. It's so infrequent on my 2009 that I just deal with it. There's been so many infrequent things that have happened to this truck. I'm going to sell mine and get the new 2013 when it comes out. Bye bye to old problems and welcome in new ones!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Dusty48
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qicvick
Mine is an 09, I actually bought a new fob about a year ago, it doesn't work either, it will about half the time but I'm afraid to use it... Here is the kicker.. My wife's fob works perfect!! Never once has it failed!!! Still has the same battery in it! Never been apart! Both of mine had new batteries put in, taken apart many times and cleaned, I never use mine now except if my wife is with me, I know hers will work and chances are mine won't. In my case I believe it is the fob.
In my case the Unlock feature became intermittently inoperative. Sometimes by pressing very hard on the button it would work. Then the Lock button started to act the same way. The second Fob I received with the truck worked perfectly. After cleaning as I earlier described the Fob has always returned to normal. So in my case it is the Fob.

Dusty

Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 PM
qicvick
Professional

If the fob fails, is there a way to open door without setting the alarm off? I don't even lock my truck at work anymore, sitting the alarm off 3 or 4 times a week is embarrassing!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 PM
kpevin
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both my old 2010 ram and my wife's old 2010 Jeep Conmmander had problems unlocking with the fobs many times. Sometimes my wife couldnt unlock it and went through the alarm going off and she wasnt happy about that at all. I had the update done on my Ram but it didnt help much, wife's had the both fobs and the receiver changed under warranty and just gave up on it getting fixed.

My 2012 Ram and wife's 2012 Grand Cherokee have had zero remote issues so they fixed something, they should fix them all, its pretty frustrating when you cant unlock your truck with the remote and then the alarm goes off when you use the key..

Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Smoothbassman
Professional

My brother in laws Commander does the same thing as my ram. Think dodge got there hands on some faulty control modules. Since it would cost them millions to fix it across their product lines, and it las not safety related, we will never see a recall to get them repaired, so we all just have to live with it.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
roulduke
Default Trying not to set off my alarm...again

On my 2005 Magnum R/T, if the fob does not unlock the door, I use the key to unlock the driver's side, then remove the key and hit the unlock button on the fob. For some reason, this usually works. Sometimes, all the locks will unlock. Other times, only the driver's side door makes an internal sound which, apparently, silences the alarm. Then I can open the door.
It is a ridiculous routine, but that alarm is ear shattering. Sounds like there is no fix for this thing.

Quick Reply: For those who's key fob stops working....