4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote Start & AC

Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 AM
John Valdes
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: The second dealership just called this morning and told me the same thing the first one did. The AC will not come on (even if left on) during remote start, and there is no fix at this time. Both dealerships are sympathetic to this situation and both have told me this is the first they have heard of the problem. Both went back to engineering for this conclusion.
I still think this is a problem and they just do not know what to do. I will try the defrost and see. I have tried everything else I know.
I would say to anyone thinking of a new purchase to test this before signing off on the vehicle.

For those who do not have this problem: Do you have manual controls? (I do).
Do you have an SLT? (I do)
09, SLT, Crew. 5.7 liter Hemi.

Maybe one of our resident experts can come up with a fix. Like I told the dealer. I would pay for the fix, which they say there is none.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Hop
Professional

You need to scroll thru the evic and see if it's set to on.
This is out of the manual page 29.
Remote Start Comfort Systems — If Equipped
When remote start is activated, the heated steering
wheel, and driver heated seat features will automatically
turn on in cold weather. In warm weather, the driver
vented seat feature will automatically turn on when the
remote start is activated. These features will stay on
through the duration of remote start or until the ignition
switch is turned to the ON/RUN position.
The Remote Start Comfort System can be activated and
deactivated through the Electronic Vehicle Information
Center (EVIC). For more information on Remote Start Comfort System operation refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) — Customer-Programmable
Features (SETUP)” in section 4.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

Thanks Hop, I will check on this when my wife gets home with the truck.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 AM
John Valdes
Veteran

Update 2: Checked Hops advice and my truck has no EVIC user setting for comfort control. However, I left the AC on again and exited the truck. Locked it and then restarted with remote. The indicator lights on the AC ***** were not on, but it was pumping out very cold air. I think it actually is on, just no indicator lights. It was cool this AM so I will check it when it gets hotter today.

Note: When remote starting I can hear the compressor engage? I think it's the compressor? I also hear the compressor cooling fan? I do not know if I have a compressor fan, but it sure sounds like it? I will check this too. I hope I am correct on these statements. Nothing worse than getting into a 120 degree truck.
Thanks everyone.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 AM
topgun
Captain

The EVIC comfort control setting is for the steering wheel and seats only. I have the auto climate control and do not have the EVIC option. Then again, I don't have the special seats.

I'm sure there is a simple explanation as this should work. Hope you get it figured out. But can't understand why the light would not be on if hte AC is on.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
buckarcher
Veteran

Based on the information the dealer gave you then mine is disfunctional. Because it does work or in they're eyes dosen't work. This is not the first time dodge has done something like this. Because they have to fix so many or don't know what's wrong they say that it is normal. I got the following example from ReadyLift's Web page.

"Due to a design issue with Dodge Ram front differential and suspension, some owners may experience a vibration in the front end when in 4x4 mode, or a violent shaking vibration of the front wheels when going over a bump at speed. These two symptoms are often called a "death wobble", but actually appear to be two different problems with the Ram truck.

The 4HI mode vibration is a vibration or shudder that occurs when accelerating in 4x4 high mode. This affects Dodge Ram 1500 non mega cabs; Dodge couldn't discover why their stock trucks would do this for some customers. The solution for Dodge was to state that there is no problem and that all of the new Rams will shudder or shake when in 4x4 high. This symptom appears isolated to 2006-2008 1500 non-Mega Cab model trucks and when in 4-hi mode." ReadyLift

Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 AM
John Valdes
Veteran

Originally Posted by topgun
The EVIC comfort control setting is for the steering wheel and seats only. I have the auto climate control and do not have the EVIC option. Then again, I don't have the special seats.

I'm sure there is a simple explanation as this should work. Hope you get it figured out. But can't understand why the light would not be on if hte AC is on.
First Thanks. I am not certain it is actually on yet. But the air does feel cool. I do not have the temp controlled seats either. Just the standard 3 button control. I tried to open the hood to feel the AC lines, but in remote start if you open the hood the truck shuts off.
The dealer got a truck off the lot like mine and the AC indicator lights would not come on for them either. I am hoping it (AC) is actually on, but have serious doubts. Two dealerships with no answers. I will post later when it heats up outside and see if it is working or not.........John

Old 07-01-2009, 11:35 AM
John Valdes
Veteran

I am going to remove the negative battery cable and reset the EVIC. Maybe I can get lucky?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

Update 3: It's official. The AC does work without the AC indicator lights on. I remote started it, and waited 5 minutes. Cool as a cucumber in the cab. No indicator lights on though. I feel so much better now. It WORKS. Confused but happy. I will contact both dealers now and let them know how THEIR truck operates.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 PM
cpelton
Veteran

yup, mine works the same. When its cold it automatically cranks the heat on defrost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start & AC