4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power tailgate lock install

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:10 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finished and it works well. Worst part of the whole job was running the wires from the back to the front. Washing the underside would have been a good idea, too much sand falling in my face.

The directions for how to splice the wires in are wrong in a couple ways, and a dumb way to do it. In order to use the shrink wrap you have to cut the 2 wires in half - better off stripping some insulation in the middle and crimping or soldering to that.

2nd off, the directions say that the tailgate harness wires are W/P and BLK/DB - Nope, they are red and black. Use the red where it says W/P and Black where it says BLK/DB.

The connectors are not labeled with numbers on the contacts and there is no "Brown" part on the plug as the directions say. At least the wires are documented correctly Tan/Light Blue and Tan/Dark blue. It's pretty hard to tell the difference in the stripe.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:29 PM
topgun
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent pictures and info! Since you used the shrink tube, I assume you cut your wires? My Powersteps will be here tomorrow and they use a Posi Tap Connector. I'm sure they could be used to do this also if someone didn't want to cut their wiring.

Been considering this mod myself. My only issue is that I'd have to pull the bedrug off the tailgate. It's velcro but very hard to pull apart.

Last edited by topgun; 07-02-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by topgun
Excellent pictures and info! Since you used the shrink tube, I assume you cut your wires? My Powersteps will be here tomorrow and they use a Posi Tap Connector. I'm sure they could be used to do this also if someone didn't want to cut their wiring.

Been considering this mod myself. My only issue is that I'd have to pull the bedrug off the tailgate. It's velcro but very hard to pull apart.
I did cut them, and wish I hadn't after I did it.

I'm not a fan of connectors like posi-taps and wire taps. You run the risk that it will cut strands of the wire.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 PM
stealthgoat
Professional

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Finished and it works well. Worst part of the whole job was running the wires from the back to the front. Washing the underside would have been a good idea, too much sand falling in my face.

The directions for how to splice the wires in are wrong in a couple ways, and a dumb way to do it. In order to use the shrink wrap you have to cut the 2 wires in half - better off stripping some insulation in the middle and crimping or soldering to that.

2nd off, the directions say that the tailgate harness wires are W/P and BLK/DB - Nope, they are red and black. Use the red where it says W/P and Black where it says BLK/DB.

The connectors are not labeled with numbers on the contacts and there is no "Brown" part on the plug as the directions say. At least the wires are documented correctly Tan/Light Blue and Tan/Dark blue. It's pretty hard to tell the difference in the stripe.

Thanks for the great write up and photos. I have mine sitting here on my desk waiting to be put on. Might be a good weekend to tackle this project.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Ironsides
Professional

I just installed the power tailgate lock. Total time to install the kit was about 3 hours. I'm happy with how it works.

I cut the wires too, like the kit said. But wiring is part of my day job, so I'm not worried about the solder joint, it's solid.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by Ironsides
I just installed the power tailgate lock. Total time to install the kit was about 3 hours. I'm happy with how it works.

I cut the wires too, like the kit said. But wiring is part of my day job, so I'm not worried about the solder joint, it's solid.
Is that the way that Dodge has you wire their lock,cuz that is way more than the PE one, in fact it is 89.99 right now. http://www.truckaccessorizer.com/sto..._powergate.htm

Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by 72combo
Is that the way that Dodge has you wire their lock,cuz that is way more than the PE one, in fact it is 89.99 right now. http://www.truckaccessorizer.com/sto..._powergate.htm
Not exactly way more. The dodge kit costs $109

Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

I had to dredge this old thread up to say thanks to oldjeep for the write-up. I installed the Mopar power lock kit this weekend (now down to $82 on-line) and was very glad to find that oldjeep had encountered the wire color problem and documented the correct colors. I just love it when instructions differ from the actual kits.

Overall the installation was pretty easy. Running the wiring into the engine compartment wasn't as bad as I figured it would be but, yes, having a clean truck and some safety glasses helps keep you happy! :-)

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by BigBlueEdge; 09-13-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Not exactly way more. The dodge kit costs $109
I meant more work

Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by 72combo