4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power tailgate lock install

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:02 AM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More work soldering, taking apart the TIPM. Only wiring I had was pop two wires in thru the big boot and hook them up to two t taps, which i wish I would have looked harder because the clutch cable hole cover is a great place to drill thru plastic to run wires, I ran the wires for my front and rear cameras just the other day. Anyway to each his own, I am happy so far with the PE lock, it hasn't given us any trouble.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 72combo
More work soldering, taking apart the TIPM. Only wiring I had was pop two wires in thru the big boot and hook them up to two t taps, which i wish I would have looked harder because the clutch cable hole cover is a great place to drill thru plastic to run wires, I ran the wires for my front and rear cameras just the other day. Anyway to each his own, I am happy so far with the PE lock, it hasn't given us any trouble.
I wouldn't call 'taking apart the TIPM' work. You pop it out of the clips and flip it over, then unplug the connector.

Where did you run the two wires to for your kit? Wasn't it the same spot under the hood?

Rob

Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 AM
72combo
Champion

No they have their own relays and stuff so they connect to the battery, ground and then spliced into 2 wires with t-taps (I went thru the boot that the 2 wires I need were in then silcones it up with black RTV, the front door lock and unlock wires. It was not a major undertaking. Now that I found the clutch hole cover lotsa room for wires to come into the cab.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 PM
oldjeep
Champion

t-taps? Are those the things you crimp through the wire?

In any event the soldering was optional - kit comes with crush sleeves. I used to do industrial controls and given the choice I solder everything rather than crimping.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 PM
ran jr
Veteran

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
now down to $82 on-line
Where can I find this for $82? I'd like to tackle this.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:21 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ran jr
I looked at that link and they still got it.

http://www.truckaccessorizer.com/sto..._powergate.htm

Last edited by dakota_raven; 09-15-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 PM
72combo
Champion

Well if you are one of the unlucky ones like I am and do not have a locking handle, I would have to buy a handle, some rods, the power lock and wiring kit. You are not getting that for 89 bucks. That was all I had on my mind and I could have connected by stripping and soldering and using shrink tubing or whatever it's called and well if my t taps fail me that is what I shall do but, This does not prevent me from ever doing this oem style. I might if this fails me somehow other that just the ttaps. I tried to get alocking handle put on for free when we where there at the dealer, my uncle buys a truck thru my employee purchase plan this is what he gave him a 2 year old SRT Crossfire and a 2006 Dodge pickup with 50000 km. He got a short box single cable, loaded up good. sport. Even trade with a 3000 dollar tonneau...Ihave never seen one for that price I guess my uncle believes him whatever, but they are parked side by side and I said I wanted one he said no that is why I decided I was gonna look after market. Why give Chrysler the money if I can do it myself and someone else is giving it for less. The wiring alone you get with the pace edwards, with 2 relays and its all protected, nice setup. I would buy it again. PopLock has one now too.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by oldjeep
t-taps? Are those the things you crimp through the wire?

In any event the soldering was optional - kit comes with crush sleeves. I used to do industrial controls and given the choice I solder everything rather than crimping.
I am with you on the soldering and doing it properly but there at the time I just wanted a locked tailgate, there was word of tailgate theft especially new ones.At the time the dealers did not even realize there were some with and some without so it was so easy to take out 2 nuts put in the lock nuts back on and bingo installed now run the wire under truck and because there is extra wire I ran the relays There are people that wander at night and don't break into your car but check for locked doors and windows open so they can get your cds, phones, ipods spare change. leave nothing in view, not even a car charger-means possibility of a phone of ipod or mp3 player, nav system make sure if you are just hiding it in the glove box get rid of the circles on the windshield or wherever if you use suction cup. People are bold these days.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:23 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ran jr
Here's the Mopar OEM accessory:

http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/...product=328804

Rob

Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 PM
72combo
Champion

I don't have the lock on my handle.....early build 09. So what good would that do me?

Quick Reply: Power tailgate lock install