4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 F150 SVT Lightning meets Mr. Hemi!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:50 PM
RGVram99
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 F150 SVT Lightning meets Mr. Hemi!!

I was going home late at night on the express way with my windows down, when I here the whine of a supercharged truck pull up next to me. It was an 04 SVT lightning and he wanted to race. I had a crappy day so I said what the heck lets have some fun. From 65 mph roll, we both hit the gas. I was shocked, my 09 CC 2 wheel drive w/ 3:23 gears pulled ahead of him by 3 truck lenghs until I hit my governer hard at 107. He caught up and we hit it again with the same result, my Ram pulled him by two to three trucks. We exited the expressway and slowed down on the feeder road for a 30 mph roll, this time his truck pulled me by two lenghts. We waved off and called it a night. I later found out that the Ford Lightning has 380 HP and 450 ft/lbs of torque, not to mention his rcsb has a much lighter foot print than my CC. The top end on our trucks is impressive. I can't wait to work on improving the 0 to 60 times with some lower gears and maybe a power programmer. Right now all I have is a K&N drop in and magnaflow muffler.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM
jdustu
Veteran

Originally Posted by RGVram99
I was going home late at night on the express way with my windows down, when I here the whine of a supercharged truck pull up next to me. It was an 04 SVT lightning and he wanted to race. I had a crappy day so I said what the heck lets have some fun. From 65 mph roll, we both hit the gas. I was shocked, my 09 CC 2 wheel drive w/ 3:23 gears pulled ahead of him by 3 truck lenghs until I hit my governer hard at 107. He caught up and we hit it again with the same result, my Ram pulled him by two to three trucks. We exited the expressway and slowed down on the feeder road for a 30 mph roll, this time his truck pulled me by two lenghts. We waved off and called it a night. I later found out that the Ford Lightning has 380 HP and 450 ft/lbs of torque, not to mention his rcsb has a much lighter foot print than my CC. The top end on our trucks is impressive. I can't wait to work on improving the 0 to 60 times with some lower gears and maybe a power programmer. Right now all I have is a K&N drop in and magnaflow muffler.

That 380 is pretty conservative too(that was right after the Cobra hp number fiasco). My buddy has a basically stock '04, and it dynoed over 360 to the wheels!

I ran(actually another friend drove) my R/T against his truck at the track, and I was expecting him to walk away(he normally runs mid 13s). They were tight the entire way, he ended up getting the R/T by 2 tenths.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:21 PM
ran jr
Veteran

Having owned a 2000 Lightning and running it at the track regularly, I have to say there was something wrong with that '04 you "raced". Mine with the stock 3.55 rear end would run 13 flat in the quarter at 105 mph with only a 4lb lower pully, I haven't seen a stock or slightly modified Hemi truck come close to that. I know my buddy with an '02 Camaro SS couldn't run with it until the 1000 ft mark.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ran jr
Having owned a 2000 Lightning and running it at the track regularly, I have to say there was something wrong with that '04 you "raced". Mine with the stock 3.55 rear end would run 13 flat in the quarter at 105 mph with only a 4lb lower pully, I haven't seen a stock or slightly modified Hemi truck come close to that. I know my buddy with an '02 Camaro SS couldn't run with it until the 1000 ft mark.
4 lbs as in 4 more punds of boost? That will make quite a difference in HP.

Quarter times don't count when comparing 30 mph and 60 mph roll race times. Traction is usually not an issue and the physics of the races are different.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4lbs is alot more horsepower. Generally every pound of boost equals 15 horses so that alone is adding 60 more horses.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:58 PM
ran jr
Veteran

4lbs doesn't add much HP mostly torque, I was running that without an aftermarket tune. As far as traction, at 55 I could stomp down on it and it would hit second and leave two good black marks. It would then chirp it going into third.

My Sport has 3.55s in it any my wife's Caravan can pull half a length on me from a dead start. I've owned both trucks and this one is not in the same category as the Lightning.

My point to the original poster was that something was either wrong with the Lightning or the driver didn't know he was racing.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
ran jr
Veteran

Originally Posted by Blown287
4lbs is alot more horsepower. Generally every pound of boost equals 15 horses so that alone is adding 60 more horses.
Not sure what motor/super charger combination nets that but the very inefficent eaton roots system on the lightning won't. See this link for actual dyno results where they only saw a gain of 15hp with a 4lb lower.

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/.../dyno_data.htm

Last edited by ran jr; 07-07-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ran jr
4lbs doesn't add much HP mostly torque, I was running that without an aftermarket tune. As far as traction, at 55 I could stomp down on it and it would hit second and leave two good black marks. It would then chirp it going into third.

My Sport has 3.55s in it any my wife's Caravan can pull half a length on me from a dead start. I've owned both trucks and this one is not in the same category as the Lightning.

My point to the original poster was that something was either wrong with the Lightning or the driver didn't know he was racing.
My point to you is that racing from 30, 60, etc is completely different than racing the quarter mile.

Proof. Talk to any Mustang owner, with a decent amount done to the motor, who got smoked in a race that started at 60 against a stock SRT-4 Neon. Put those two cars in the quarter though and the SRT-4 doesn't have a chance.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Lightning.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All superchargers net approx. 15hp to the crank per psi of boost. You can get more depending on if you can cool the load or not.

From Kenne Belle.

"Note that 1psi boost is approx. 11-13 RWHP"
http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...ulleyRatio.pdf

Last edited by Blown287; 07-07-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
ran jr
Veteran

Originally Posted by sarguy01
My point to you is that racing from 30, 60, etc is completely different than racing the quarter mile.

Proof. Talk to any Mustang owner, with a decent amount done to the motor, who got smoked in a race that started at 60 against a stock SRT-4 Neon. Put those two cars in the quarter though and the SRT-4 doesn't have a chance.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Lightning.
You're right how could I argue with that rock solid proof, only there's one problem with it. You're comparing a high horsepower low torque four cylinder against a mid horsepower high torque eight cylinder. We're comparing trucks, both mid/high horsepower high torque. Of course the eight cylinder will own the four cylinder off the line, that is all of them but the neutered Hemi.

Quick Reply: 04 F150 SVT Lightning meets Mr. Hemi!!