4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sound system complete finally & Some other mods. Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Ryan Albert
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha it is a mag light, not mounted though. I was just using it.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats an ill tuck guy!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM
08DodgeTRX
Professional

Originally Posted by Ryan Albert
I don't think there is a enough room for an amp back there.
I know I'm bringing back an old thread but....

Isn't the 2009+ cab the same as the 2006-2008 cab?

To me it looks like it is.

Why, b/c I had an amp on the back wall of my 2008, it fit just fine as long as you left out that crap foam board insulator and since you matted the back wall I would think it would work for you.

That is what I am hoping to do again in my new truck.

Another question is the noise insulation as good as you hoped?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 PM
roberttheall
Professional

Originally Posted by Ryan Albert
You guys may have remembered I was working on a sound system for my truck. Well I have just been waiting one of the subs to come in, and now I got it, put in in and its complete. The sound system consists of;
  • Kenwood KFC-1662S 3-way speakers front & rear doors
  • (2) Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1200F mount subs
  • Musicmoose Audio custom enclosure
  • Mygig OEM Stereo w/ PAC adapter
  • Kenwood KAC-9104D mono amp
  • 2 guage wiring
  • All doors, rear wall, and under rear seat FATMATTED (like dynamat)

The install was pretty simple, the hardest part was getting the doors and the rear wall covered with the fat mat. This was the most time consuming. The speakers as well as the sub box dropped right in no problems. The amp was a pretty easy to install since its right under the front seat, so the wires were not run very far. SOUNDS AWESOME, well worth it.

In addition to the system I also installed a Recon Extreme tailgate LED bar, and also an interior LED kit off of Ebay. The tailgate bar was simple enough, the easiest thing to do is to wire directly into the back of the towing harness. The interior kit was straight forward and decent quality for its price. Accomplishes what I wanted; lights up the foot wells.

Next I wanted to black out my headlights. Honestly it is almost worth it to send them off for 200 bucks. What I did was bake on 200 degrees for 15 minutes, took them out, picked at the glue, put them back in for 15 minutes and so on. I repeated this cycle probably a dozen times with each headlight until it finally popped apart. I then sanded it with a fine grit sanding block (pretty much taking off the chrome finish), I then paint them with low gloss engine paint. I went back to the store and got a can of semi gloss engine paint and this looked much better on my truck so I paint right over the low gloss with this. I then bought RTV gasket maker, and filled the connecting point with this, and put the lenses back on and clamped them down. Let it dry and then I used more silicone RTV gasket maker to fill the cracks and pretty much just put a back up layer on each headlight. Finally that was done.

While the headlights were out I decided to upgrade the lighting to HID's. I bought a kit off of Twiggy. All I wanted was low beams, because thats plenty I bought the 6000k kit. I got 6000k fake HIDs for the fogs and high beams just so it looks decent. The fogs actually throw a good amount of light out though, I was impressed with my $5 Ebay bulbs. Anyway the HIDs are plug and play, with this particular kit you have to drill a hold in the headlight cap for the wires, no biggie it comes with the grommet to make it water tight. You can see the ballast in the picture, I just found a safe place and zipped them.

Below I have posted pictures for your enjoyment, and hopefully this will help someone wanting to mod their truck. I'm about done with her for now....

Thanks to all you guys that offered help during these projects!!!

Door fatmatted

Rear seat removed

Fatmat getting put in place

LED under seat installed

Plenty of light

My GIG put in

Amp under the seat

Another shot of the amp

Under the seat subs

Close up of sub

power wire through firewall

nothing fancy

Starting headlights

Painting

Done

HID ballast

HIDS

Finally the Recon "scanning" LED bar in action
Great Job. I did a similar install using dynomat extreme. I removed the seats, center console, door panels, headliner and all interior trim except the dash, and dynomated the crap out of my truck then I put 1/2 inch dynopad over that. Overkill I know but I had a lot of it and used it all.

I started to try to take aprt my headlights before, using the oven, but I got nervous about it and backed off. Good job on the headlights

Old 03-10-2011, 01:44 AM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08DodgeTRX
I know I'm bringing back an old thread but....

Isn't the 2009+ cab the same as the 2006-2008 cab?

To me it looks like it is.

Why, b/c I had an amp on the back wall of my 2008, it fit just fine as long as you left out that crap foam board insulator and since you matted the back wall I would think it would work for you.

That is what I am hoping to do again in my new truck.

Another question is the noise insulation as good as you hoped?

Thanks
Crew Cab is new to 2009 Rams... The quad cabs are different as well but i believe the same"ish" behind the seat. Mounting behind the seat has been done, ventilation would be your issue

Quick Reply: Sound system complete finally & Some other mods. Lots of Pics