4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram vs Mustang GT...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:26 PM
mike2810
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Maples
Hey guys...be nice! RamPhreak makes a good point. It was more of a quick throttle punch than a true race. Like I said, it lasted a few seconds, just enough for a Hemi to go from 55 to 90. I never talked to the other driver. He may have backed out quicker than I did. Just relating what happened, not pondering why.

And I agree about keeping it off the streets. I used to be on the local Police force as a Reserve Officer and I would not have done it if there were any other cars in sight. I still shouldn't have. It did bring back old memories and I'm really loving the truck and the opportunity to hit a few shows and cruise-ins.
Nice truck, Good story, and excellent reply. Us old guys need to stick togeather. I am also not a fan of street racing (been there, done that, now I'm to old for it).

Old 08-02-2009, 01:58 PM
RamPhreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shep8235
Damn dude...why all the crap you just spilled? (refering to what Rampheak said) You don't actually know if he beat him or not..RIGHT? He very well could have. These trucks are pretty quick, especially for there size. Not to mention the horsepower that they are producing. I could beleive that these could run with the mustangs..I had a similar instance when I was at a stop light and my buddy was beside. We were both at the line and as soon as it turned green we both took off..I beat him off the line by atleast 2 car lenghts if not more..I didn't keep in cause I can't afford another ticket..When we stopped my buddy was amazed that I beat him off the line...My buddy drives a 2004 mustang GT with a new exhasut and some other mods to it..All that I have done to mine is just the muffler..So in my opinion before you go busting someones ***** about beating someone let them be...I bet this guy had alot fun when he did it too...Hey Mike Maples, great story..I am not a fan of the mustangs so when I hear a story like this I love it...I am not trying to start anything but this forum is supposed to be helpful and friendly to everyone (atleast that is what I thought) not to bash on each other..Just throwing my two cents in there!!!!

Relax...aparently you didnt read the thread from the get go. As stated, I didn't mean to crap on his thread, really, I love his truck and mine and I would LOVE to say his story is true.

I based my opinion on facts not pipe dreams. This truck is not able to run a 6 second 0-60 nor a 14 second quarter mile, I don't care who the driver is.

Needless to say, we don't (including the OP) know what type of GT was actually being run. Maybe it was a third generation...which are actually quicker 0-60 in the 5.0??? Who knows without picks/video. So before you start bashing me for factual input, check the facts. I will provide them for you to see for yourself: (I pulled 2 stories at random)

http://www.modernracer.com/mustanggt.html

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ne-mechanicals

Last edited by RamPhreak; 08-02-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
RamPhreak
Professional

Originally Posted by sking

Old 08-02-2009, 02:25 PM
RamPhreak
Professional

Originally Posted by Mike Maples
Hey guys...be nice! RamPhreak makes a good point. It was more of a quick throttle punch than a true race. Like I said, it lasted a few seconds, just enough for a Hemi to go from 55 to 90. I never talked to the other driver. He may have backed out quicker than I did. Just relating what happened, not pondering why.

And I agree about keeping it off the streets. I used to be on the local Police force as a Reserve Officer and I would not have done it if there were any other cars in sight. I still shouldn't have. It did bring back old memories and I'm really loving the truck and the opportunity to hit a few shows and cruise-ins.
Thanks Mike, as stated I wasn't trying to ruin it. I think you and your wife had fun and were proud of your truck anyway. I am VERY big in the race and tuner scene/car shows etc so I know and UNDERSTAND the relationship between HP/TQ and GEARING or other related facts. (Feel free to check out www.highendperformance.net to see the caliber of cars I work with). Although they are built mainly for show purposes, all of them are built to race able specs.

I have heard too many stories of people "winning a race" then all of a sudden "whats wrong with my car" because I lost this race. I have a sneeky educated guess the other driver was driving "fast" with you leaving you in the front to get the ticket but not racing. Really, I don't know. Of course I am gonna be the A-hole in here though.

To put it in perspective for the guys here who are confused about the 390 HP the hemi makes...or ~340 to the wheels....thinking that those numbers MUST MAKE IT FAST.....a Navy Destroyer busts out 100,000HP+ and cruises at about 30 knots..top speed maybe 35ish. A Cigar boat at 10,000HP maxes at about 140 knots. A hydro plane race boat is about 1,000 HP and tops up to 200 knots (these numbers can be way off but I think the point is being made.) There is a great deal more to think about than just the power....weight, gearing, final drive system such as 4x4, etc that come into play, not to mention the ever deceiving HP and TQ curves (powerband) you see on the dyno. Understanding where those power curves are are critical. Just because you turn the key doesnt mean you HAVE 390 HP. LOL.

My 2005 SRT-4 was published at 230 HP and 260 LBS of torque, wieghing in at about 3100 lbs. The 230 was true wheel HP so it was really making 260HP and 300TQ at the crank estimated. Again, Mustangs almost kept up...slowly walking them until I upgraded the turbo and added Meth turning the boost 25+psi. My truck would NOT keep up with my SRT and I am not ashamed to admit it. I bought my truck because it is a different vehicle...it will pull a big boat up a big hill without sweating, can't say the same about the SRT.

That being said...I do LOVE your story....wish it was really true cuz the look on the other guys face is ALWAYS priceless.

Last edited by RamPhreak; 08-02-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM
tombogue09
Captain

Hotrodmike71,

Thats the first truck I've seen thats just like mine (except fot the rims). Are those 17s?

Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
BIGGS000
Rookie

Originally Posted by RamPhreak
That being said...I do LOVE your story....wish it was really true cuz the look on the other guys face is ALWAYS priceless.
I think you're saying it wrong. Like I said earlier I know nothing about these new fast cars. Never driven one or anything. However, I just think it's inconsiderate to say his story isn't true. I don't imagine Mike is lying. You're just saying the outcome of the story isn't what you consider to be likely. I don't personally know if the Mustang would win or loose in a real race. Seems you have a better perspective than me. Just be mindful of a guy and don't call him a liar because the way his experience played out isn't the way it would play out on a dragstrip. I don't think that was the intention of your statement but that's how it read to me.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:12 PM
MinatorHemi8
Veteran

85% of real street races dont top out to the vehicles potential most end when the other driver sees you get in front and gives up when he cant get back in front,

and ive beaten several stock mustang gt's new and old and havent had any of them take it over a 100 before they gave up.

In fact the only race that has ever maxed out was my 06 Ram with a superchip programmer and etc, against a charger that only sped ahead when i maxed at 140

Last edited by MinatorHemi8; 08-02-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Mike Maples
Rookie

C'mon guys. Don't make me regret ever posting this. Let's not let this degrade into a territory marking session.

All I've done to my truck mechanically is a Ground Force lowering/leveling kit, Mufflex/Magnaflow exhaust and a drop-in K&N air filter (until the CAI is available). The tires are g-Force KDW's that are about 3/4" smaller diameter than stock. Back in the day I ran a 67 Camaro with a "built" 302 Z motor transplanted (410 RWHP) and a 4.10 gear, a 66 Chevelle SS and later a 73 Trans-Am with a 455HP in it. All were strong...the Camaro was the quickest ...and it's been a long, long time since I had this much horsepower available to me. PLUS, I added the neat rubber studded stainless steel gas and brake pedals so there's another 50 HP at LEAST!

The guy was young and he had just bought the GT (as mentioned re: the drive-out tag). He probably was more afraid of getting stopped by the Police than I was. Also, since my truck is de-badged (no Hemi label), he probably just thought it was a spiffy show truck with no guts and was a bit surprised it had some bite. Let's face it, most car guys don't expect a truck to run much at all unless it says Daytona, Viper or Rumble Bee all over it. Mine looks pretty "vanilla"...just the way I like it.

To be sure we were both just playing and there was no real "title on the line" race here. Just a fun story...and I never actually claimed a "win"...just that I could run "with" him, at least for the short distance we went at it.

Last edited by Mike Maples; 08-02-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Hotrodmike71

Originally Posted by tombogue09
Hotrodmike71,

Thats the first truck I've seen thats just like mine (except fot the rims). Are those 17s?
Yes...they are 17's. I wouldn't mind getting bigger rims but I'm going to wait untill at least I need new tires.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:28 PM
devile
Professional

I don't see a need to defend yourself man, you were out, and had a little fun, no body was hurt emotionally or physically, i don't see a problem here... Just some fun enjoying your truck...

P.S. Was a pretty decent story

Quick Reply: Ram vs Mustang GT...