4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram vs Mustang GT...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM
whiteboycustom
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy old post.....but ill add to it even though i only read the 1st post,i think it would be close with the power to weight ratio, but without the driver mod in the stang he could lose

i own a 83 coupe with a few add-on's

Name:  DSC02781.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  212.6 KB

Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 PM
black05tj

To the OP: Nice story! One of my favorite "races", not that you could really call it that, was when I was a hot-s**t 17 year old in a Trans Am. Town had streetlights every block or so, and I rolled up beside an old man (80+) and his old lady in their fairly new Buick LeSabre (had the 3800 V6). I launched when the light turned green, getting a nice 2nd gear scratch. Completely toasted him - a given since he didn't even try.

Got stopped at the next light beside him again. I'd had my fun, so I wasn't going to run like that through every light - again, there were a bunch of them. The light turned green, and to my surprise THE OLD MAN LIT 'EM UP! I still remember seeing the old lady's head roll back as he squealed away from the light, her mouth open wide as she was laughing all the way! He completely stomped me on that run!

We got stopped at another light, and I smiled and waved to congratulate him on schooling me. He and the old lady were grinning ear to ear. We let it go at a draw when the next light turned, and I think he turned off a couple streets or lights later. But that was probably the most fun, and most memorable "race" I've ever been involved in.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by RamPhreak
Mike, no worries. I don't get offended when people say I'm wrong, learned that from the SRT group where there are LOADS of stories and people calling each other out and thats where pictures and/or videos make their case. The other guys can say what they want...its all okay. For the record, as the other poster stated, I never called you a liar. I believe your story from your seat, not so sure about the other drivers though. No harm no foul. I guess maybe I need to get one of my local buddies in their stang and have a little play day just to see how fast the truck really is..

Bottom line to everyone here in the forums...again, coming from the SRT community and my relationship with a car building shop, I have seen alot of quick cars...maybe my Ram is faster than I think since I have not really ran it against anything except a FORD Turbo Diesel...and walked away from him after his powerband ran dry. Did I beat him? Maybe....but I was more impressed knowing he definitely has more power than me and didn't beat me.

You had a nice line-up back in the day and I would be very happy to have that camaro...they were bad then and super hot now.
I wonder how many races a tuned srt4 Neon basically can go against an 8 cylinder tuned HEMI pickup. SRT 4's are fast but all that is to me is a bunch of young kids driving little japscrap tuner cars. How many times can you burn nitrous or run that super charger or twin turrbos before the engine says "blegh" I would imagine a HEMI which would not require a turbo or super charger but would handle it longer if it did have and would certainly not even race with srt4's in that situation but I am sure the HEMI would be able to run a bit longer. You get good gas mileage in your tuners but life expectancy....it is there?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Mike Maples
Rookie

I really appreciate the interest in this thread. It's been fun to follow.

Since the original post I have learned a lot about Mustang GT's. The car in question was a pre-2005 model and probably bone stock. My truck is also stock except for an axle-back exhaust and K&N filter. During my research I fell in love with the GT and I now own a 2005 Mustang GT. When I bought it I was less than impressed with the giddy-up in large part because my "daily driver" is the Ram. It would have been a close run between the two.

After a CAI, axle backs and a Brenspeed 93 octane tune it is no longer a contest. This GT will RUN!

Name:  MMD_6460-01.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  111.2 KB

Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 AM
whiteboycustom
Professional

Originally Posted by Mike Maples
I really appreciate the interest in this thread. It's been fun to follow.

Since the original post I have learned a lot about Mustang GT's. The car in question was a pre-2005 model and probably bone stock. My truck is also stock except for an axle-back exhaust and K&N filter. During my research I fell in love with the GT and I now own a 2005 Mustang GT. When I bought it I was less than impressed with the giddy-up in large part because my "daily driver" is the Ram. It would have been a close run between the two.

After a CAI, axle backs and a Brenspeed 93 octane tune it is no longer a contest. This GT will RUN!

the modular motors can make power but your pocket book wont like it, want power without paying a buttload then a fox body with the 5.0 is the way to go, u can s/c it or stroke it or slap a 351 in it or stoke it to a 408.....the modular with h/c/i is pricey but makes power

Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
it's all dodge
Rookie

Mike Maples, where did you get the body colored sidesteps? Your truck looks great! So does that Stang! My truck could use gray steps, but enough about mine. The SRT-4 engines were a well built block, not just a "lets put a turbo on a Stratus 2.4" engine. I had an 03, mighta kept it but a leaky trunk, knowing I woulda had to put out so much $ for the limited slip the 04 & 05 got, then be not warranty covered on the transaxle, 15 less horses, Viper seats pain in the back, pain in the *** to get in and out of....Besides, my Shelby Daytona is more responsive in the turns IMO. And those mods for it don't cost an arm & a leg.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Mike Maples
Rookie

Originally Posted by it's all dodge
Mike Maples, where did you get the body colored sidesteps? Your truck looks great! So does that Stang! My truck could use gray steps, but enough about mine...
Thanks for the kind words. I had the steps powdercoated locally.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 PM
ChryslerTechBC
Professional

Nice Mustang I had a '00 GT with Cams, P51 intake, full Bassani exhaust, a buttload of Steeda suspension parts, 125 hp shot of nitrous, 3.73s and a whole bunch more. That car would get up and go. I'd really like to get an '03-'04 Cobra with a 2.6 Kenne Bell this winter after my house is finished

Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I very well believe the story. I have an 06 and when I first got it I sort of raced a not stock 98 Trans Am. We were at a light on an exit ramp side by side I had the outside lane and not thinking anything just gassed it and beat him around the turn, he didn't like it and hammered it (could hear in his exhaust), so I dropped my hammer, still pulling away...until he downshifted then flew passed me a bit but I still kept up real well...Not bad for 7000 lbs vs 3000 lbs...and he had some mods, I only had the truck from the dealer for 2 weeks so bone stock. We met at the next like and he said "(Expletive edit) you have a fast truck if you kept up like you did" What if I had the 3.92 or 4.10 gears?? Or a manual trans like he did, etc...

Quick Reply: Ram vs Mustang GT...