4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram vs Mustang GT...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:03 PM
crod
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this truck is not "fast" by technical terms. but its "fast" for a heavy as "regular" truck. (non svt, srt ect.)

lets be honest. mustangs, especially older(early 2000's) were freakin pigs. wouldnt even break 14sec. bone stock. in a real street race from a low roll or dead stop the ram will hold its own suprisingly well.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
HemiRAMV8
Professional

Just a little 2c here...

In similar situations, I've noticed that dropping from D to 5 on the stick seems to alter the shift-points of the tranny. Fuel saver mode goes away and it lights up all the donks.

I've minced all kinds of young and foolish over the short distance until their willingness to beat me wins over my desire to protect my license. If my huge truck does 110-120 max, and their hair dryer does 130, they're eventually going to get in front. I've usually lost all interest by 100, as they drown in my torque bath.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 PM
RamPhreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, no worries. I don't get offended when people say I'm wrong, learned that from the SRT group where there are LOADS of stories and people calling each other out and thats where pictures and/or videos make their case. The other guys can say what they want...its all okay. For the record, as the other poster stated, I never called you a liar. I believe your story from your seat, not so sure about the other drivers though. No harm no foul. I guess maybe I need to get one of my local buddies in their stang and have a little play day just to see how fast the truck really is..

Bottom line to everyone here in the forums...again, coming from the SRT community and my relationship with a car building shop, I have seen alot of quick cars...maybe my Ram is faster than I think since I have not really ran it against anything except a FORD Turbo Diesel...and walked away from him after his powerband ran dry. Did I beat him? Maybe....but I was more impressed knowing he definitely has more power than me and didn't beat me.

You had a nice line-up back in the day and I would be very happy to have that camaro...they were bad then and super hot now.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:20 PM
jdustu
Veteran

The sn95 GTs weren't quick at all....mid 14s to low 15s. A '09 qc with 3.92s is in the same range. Shoot, my truck runs the same times as my 94 z28 did.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 PM
RamPhreak
Professional

Originally Posted by crod
this truck is not "fast" by technical terms. but its "fast" for a heavy as "regular" truck. (non svt, srt ect.)

lets be honest. mustangs, especially older(early 2000's) were freakin pigs. wouldnt even break 14sec. bone stock. in a real street race from a low roll or dead stop the ram will hold its own suprisingly well.
Comparing it to those trucks would obvioulsy be ridiculous, I agree. Comparing the Lightning and the SRT-10...the 10 was a dog. The Typhoon and the Psyclone were fast trucks by any measure...although not full size.

Bottom line it the Toyota is still faster than the Ram...I would consider it "quick"....but still not fast.

You gotta be careful with which mustangs you are comparing. Yes the early 2000's were slower. The 93/94's could be a 13sec car at the right track with the right driver in the right conditions. This ram still wont ge tinto the 14s and stuggles to stay in the 15s. Even an experieced driver wont see the 15s easily. Since we dont know exactly what mustang it was we really dont know. But Mike did say he ran from about 55-90....which leads me to believe the mustang was in a good power band range. A mustang would easily beat this truck from a dig as long as the driver doesnt break too much traction.

Ive said enough. I am glad Mike had fun. Maybe the kid was racing him...I do not know.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 PM
jdustu
Veteran

Originally Posted by RamPhreak

You gotta be careful with which mustangs you are comparing. Yes the early 2000's were slower. The 93/94's could be a 13sec car at the right track with the right driver in the right conditions. This ram still wont ge tinto the 14s and stuggles to stay in the 15s. Even an experieced driver wont see the 15s easily. Since we dont know exactly what mustang it was we really dont know. But Mike did say he ran from about 55-90....which leads me to believe the mustang was in a good power band range. A mustang would easily beat this truck from a dig as long as the driver doesnt break too much traction.
That's the point. He just said "late model" and "not the new body style". It could very easily be a 95 gt running low 15s lol. This truck will easily be in the 15s, if not quicker.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

[QUOTE=RamPhreak;1756986]

Not trying to crap on your thread...but....I doubt very much that the GT was actually racing you.

No doubt in my mind the Stang was giving it all. I waxed one a while back rather handily and yes he was wide open and pegged making all the noise in the world (as was I), both our windows were down. A Hemi Ram absolutely can beat some Stang GT's.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:31 AM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

Great story, dont see any reason for the guys getting uptight. It was a fun time and im sure it got his heart pumping. Either way, enjoy your truck

Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

Originally Posted by RamPhreak

Not trying to crap on your thread...but....I doubt very much that the GT was actually racing you. As much as I absolutely HATE mustangs I will be the first to admit that your big A@@ truck did not whomp on it if the other driver had a perfectly running car and was ACTUALLY racing you. Especially since you said you only hit 90 at your top, a racing mustang would have been well over 100 if room permitted. It hits that in the quarter mile alone....so unless you raced less than an 1/8 mile and you started and finished well before him...unlikely win.

I know this for a fact because of my experiences in my SRT-4 against GT's. The only ones I ever lost too were Cobra's and that was very rare! As I upgraded my turbo even the Cobra couldnt match my car. When my car was stock it still beat mustangs but it was a slower pull away (walked them) so they get up and go too. That being said, I would laugh at anyone who thinks this Ram (Of which I own one similar to yours according to your pic) could even keep up with an SRT-4, yet alone a GT. This truck is FARRRRR from anywhere near fast.

That being said, I am glad you and your wife had some fun that seems to have brought back the good ole days.....just keep it off the streets please. Thats for your safety as well as your passengers and those around you. It is not worth a ticket or a life.
Not to rain on your quote (JK) but, I thumped an SRT4 gettin on i75 2 days ago, and yes he was all out, talked to him at the off ramp. on Pines Blvd. your SRT 4 isn't that fast sorrrrry. Also this was a stock srt4, no mods, it was from a stop light with two lanes to one had at least 40 -50 ' on him before the merge warning, early AM no one else on the road. I also support track racing, sometimes can't help it.

Last edited by rolltidehemi; 08-03-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:16 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

Sick truck and trucks shown on this thread! Awsome race!

Quick Reply: Ram vs Mustang GT...