4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions for folks familar with stereo/speaker upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:14 AM
phatjoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for folks familar with stereo/speaker upgrades??

Hello:

I've got the standard 6 speaker stereo system in my ram 1500. I'm looking to upgrade the speakers, and potentially the stereo. I'm not looking for a 1000watt system, just something that will sounds a bit better. I'm also relatively new to speakers/stereos.

1) I've heard that sound quality has very little to do with the stereo, that it's really dependent on the speakers. Is that true?

2) If I was to replace the stereo, will the steering wheel controls continue to work?

3) I plan on buying 6" speakers (front/rear) from Crutchfield. Is it difficult to remove the door panels from the ram? I just don't want to be in a situation were I screw it up, and there is rattling/vibrations etc because I didn't put the piece back properly.

4) Is it difficult to replace the stereo? Any lessons learned that you can share?

I know these are basic questions, but I'm new to stereos/speakers

THANKS!

Old 08-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

1. wrong... its all a team.. you get a $1000 head unit and speakers and get a crappy amp... you will notice. just like if you got a 600 hp engice but skinny crappy tires... at slow speeds you might be ok.. but once you push it to where you want it to be.. it will not turn out so well

2. prolly not.. I'm sure you can custom fab something.. but it will cost and still might not work.

3. no just screws... and the rattling (if there is any) can be cured with dynamat or spray noise killer

4. not difficulty to replace the radio.. but it depends on what your taking out and sticking in... if your just putting in a cd player... all is easy.. if your putting in a touch dvd with gps... then you have to mess with the parking brake and speed sensor...

id suggest if your getting a high end deck.. take it to a professional.. that way if something screws up.. they fix it.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:32 PM
topgun
Captain

If you are not an audiophile, changing out the speakers will do wonders for your truck and probably satisfy your needs. The easiest and most reasonably priced setup is to go with the Mopar Kicker upgrade. For about $200 list, you can change out 4 of the speakers. The dash stay the same I believe. Everything is plug and play, no cutting or splicing. Had them on the last truck and they made a huge difference. I sold them to a guy that also added the Subwoofer kit and he is thrilled with the difference. Not everybody wants or needs a 1000 watt system.

Just another option for you depending on your budget and wants. If the 09 stock speakers are anything like the previous gen trucks, you'll understand why they sound like they do when you take one out. On my 05, the front speaker frames were cheap plastic and had a very small magnet. The Kickers were like night and day. Made a world of difference for little money.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:05 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

i upgraded the door speakers for now and it sounds alot clearer and more crisp.
i got the Kicker KS-Series component front and rear.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:16 PM
72combo
Champion

check a seller Avondale Chryrsler on EBay they are selling kicker kits with the upgraded speakers and amp for like 400 bucks or so then the amp and sub is separate now that is a few bucks more.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:15 AM
phatjoe

Thanks everyone for the responses!

One thing that's interesting is that Mopar's site sells 6"x9" Kicker speakers for the Dodge Ram.

When you go to Crutchfield's site, input dodge ram, their site indicates that 6"x9" speakers won't fit. I find that odd.

Their site recommends 5" or 6" speakers with a speaker adapter bracket.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Doc Fluty
Banned

the 6x9 opening that dodge uses is shallow.. so aftermarket 6x9s that handle more power wont fit because of the depth issue.

crutchfiled tends to play it safe with measurements... you can get spacers and all sorts of things to make whatever you want to fit.. fit

Old 08-09-2009, 08:56 AM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

Yeah when i did my upgrade we made a template of the 6x9 opening and then cut out hole's for 6-1/2 speakers

Old 08-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Hal_T
Rookie

I plan on upgrading to a Kenwood Excelon DNX9140

Check it out. It's a good unit.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:55 PM
lowriderman1225
Rookie

i replaced my front and rear door speakers with 6x9 pioneer TS-A6963R and they fit perfectly. the mount depth was 2 7/8 inch.

Quick Reply: Questions for folks familar with stereo/speaker upgrades??