4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange Noise Taking Off or Stopping

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noise Taking Off or Stopping

I've noticed that when I take off quickly in my truck or when I stop quickly it sounds and feels like there is something rolling or moving around in the bed. I've looked under the bed and haven't found anything loose that would cause that noise or feeling. It's not gas tank sloshing, that's a different feeling and sound.

Anyone else out there notice this issue with their truck?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 PM
topgun
Captain

Did you by chance place your wheel lock key in the rear under floor storage compartment?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Brummo
Captain

Originally Posted by Thatmarkguy
I've noticed that when I take off quickly in my truck or when I stop quickly it sounds and feels like there is something rolling or moving around in the bed. I've looked under the bed and haven't found anything loose that would cause that noise or feeling. It's not gas tank sloshing, that's a different feeling and sound.

Anyone else out there notice this issue with their truck?
I know that feeling too. Not sure what it is. Tourque converter?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:35 AM
cicdude
Rookie

Not sure what that could be. Me, I heard a loud ker-thump when I came to a quick stop once. Same thing when I started out hard. I thought I was having a serious problem. I forgot that I had my trailer hitch in there that kept tipping over. Doh!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 AM
stealthgoat
Professional

Are you guys hearing the counter weights that are hanging from the frame? maybe?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Brummo
Captain

Originally Posted by stealthgoat
Are you guys hearing the counter weights that are hanging from the frame? maybe?
Could be, where are they located?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
topgun
Captain

The counter weights don't move, they are solid. Did either of you check your floor storage box? The one below the floor mat?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Brummo
Captain

Originally Posted by topgun
The counter weights don't move, they are solid. Did either of you check your floor storage box? The one below the floor mat?
nothing in them, does feel like drivetrain, but I'm not real concerned. more curious.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

The locking lug key is still in the plastic bag in the glove box, nothing is in the back seat floor storage compartments, and the trailer hitch is securely in the receiver. It just seems like something's rolling in there like when the melons fall out the grocery bags on the way home from the store after the first stop.

The truck goes in for service tomorrow so I'll put that on the growing list of items including:

Intermittently non-working keyless entry fob.
Recurring check engine light (again).
Incorrectly reading outside temperature.
Intermittent transmission downshift thunk.
And whatever current RRT's are pending, maybe I'll get a Fuel Saver light out of it - probably not, I've got an October '08 build date and dual exhaust, already two strikes against me.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:40 PM
NCBigHorn
Amateur

another thing that you may want to check is to make sure that your spare tire is tightened all the way up to the top. i was having a similar issue and crawled under one day. the spare tire mechanism that raises and lowers it had worked itself loose and it was hanging down a good bit and bouncing around off my reciever hitch. something to check out.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise Taking Off or Stopping