4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RAMBOX Tonneau Covers Only

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Usmc Mopar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the only picts that I have of the bed of my truck with the MOPAR tri-folding cover on it. It wasnt taken to specifically show the rise on the cover but it will give you a good idea of the 1 1/2" rise. I agree that it would look a lot cleaner if it sat flush, unfortunately I was kinda forced to buy it for a move across the country. As soon as I find one that is "hard"&"folding" and sits flush I will be selling this one.

[img=http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2017/1002444m.th.jpg]

hope these pictures come up.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Usmc Mopar
Amateur

here is the other picture

By bocanegraangel, shot with KODAK DX6440 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2009-09-21

Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Wil09RamSport
Rookie

Originally Posted by Usmc Mopar
These are the only picts that I have of the bed of my truck with the MOPAR tri-folding cover on it. It wasnt taken to specifically show the rise on the cover but it will give you a good idea of the 1 1/2" rise. I agree that it would look a lot cleaner if it sat flush, unfortunately I was kinda forced to buy it for a move across the country. As soon as I find one that is "hard"&"folding" and sits flush I will be selling this one.

[img=http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2017/1002444m.th.jpg]

hope these pictures come up.
So I take that this cover is soft material. Anyways, thanx for posting the pics. This is the first time I get to see a cover with the Rambox.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:12 PM
RamPhreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a more detailed explanation as given by Bakflip for not supporting the Rambox guys...

"Hi Consumer,

The problem is the RamBox design. All tonneau covers require attachment to the rail of some type, and with the Ram Box, where it's located, and the way it operates, we're unable to build a cover for that box. We need a straight solid rail the entire length of the bed to attach and latch the cover. Unless a huge epiphany happens (which I doubt, as we have looked at that design very closely), we will not be able to ever build a cover with that design. The bottom line is that if any cover is built for that truck, it will be very limited in it's ability to use both. To boot, we still get very few inquiries about a cover for that truck (we need thousands to get our attention, and we may have had maybe a dozen). But even if every owner calls us tomorrow and pays us all the attention in the world, we cannot see one of our covers ever fitting on that design. I guess most of the customers who opt for the RamBox want the RamBox instead of a tonneau cover because of very few inquires.

Good luck and thank for the interest.

All the very best,

Mark
BAKFlip Tonneau Cover.com"

A bunch of crap to me...but oh well. I guess in any future truck purchase with regular beds I will rule out this company for lack of support. We know a design can be done...it just takes a better engineer to do it!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Cigarthef

Extang, is making one, a hard flip, model #EXG56420.

According to my Dealer, they are to ship in 3 weeks. fully removable, has three sections and is supposed to work wth the cargo retention system and bed liners from Dodge.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Shumdit
Professional

Bakflip could easily make new "rails" to bolt in place of the aluminum channels the factory provides if they wanted. Maybe they are just too stupid to know how to engineer this. I certainly do not buy the "only a few inquiries" line. Probably for the best since they seem to have some design issues anyway. Here is what I say to Bakflip: I wouldn't buy your crap even if you make one to fit any of my trucks.
There, that feels better

Old 10-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cigarthef
Extang, is making one, a hard flip, model #EXG56420.

According to my Dealer, they are to ship in 3 weeks. fully removable, has three sections and is supposed to work wth the cargo retention system and bed liners from Dodge.
It's available now and they are shipping them.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:55 PM
HEMICrew
Rookie

But is it flush? That's what I liked about the Bakflip model. The MOPAR one is not flush at all and I"m just not feeling the look. Please put up pics if you have this Extang hard folder cover with the RamBox.

Jason

Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Shumdit
Professional

Originally Posted by HEMICrew
But is it flush? That's what I liked about the Bakflip model. The MOPAR one is not flush at all and I"m just not feeling the look. Please put up pics if you have this Extang hard folder cover with the RamBox.

Jason
Unfortunately it's also not flush. No offense to those of you who have any of the ones on the market like these, but it simply looks horrible on the RamBox models. I actually think the non-RamBox models suffer more than the regular bed models with a raised tonneau. Here is the Extang:

I think I would sacrifice the folding capability and have either a single piece unit or a 2 or 3 piece unit that just could be removed when needed if it could just be flush.

Last edited by Shumdit; 10-11-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM
HEMICrew
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Shumdit. The only way I can see so far that I can get a flush unit is to get one of the roll-up covers (non-electric) but then you lose 11-13" in the back because of the canister. Decisions....decisions. I have time since I don't really need one until December but I was hoping something would have been out by now.

Jason

Originally Posted by Shumdit
Unfortunately it's also not flush. No offense to those of you who have any of the ones on the market like these, but it simply looks horrible on the RamBox models. I actually think the non-RamBox models suffer more than the regular bed models with a raised tonneau. Here is the Extang:

I think I would sacrifice the folding capability and have either a single piece unit or a 2 or 3 piece unit that just could be removed when needed if it could just be flush.

Quick Reply: RAMBOX Tonneau Covers Only