4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Excessive use of washer fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:47 AM
DavGav
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive use of washer fluid

Hello folks, I have looked all over the forum for someone who might be experiencing the same thing as me. I have an 09 Ram 1500 SLT C/C 10/08 build. Love the truck! Thing that drives me crazy is how fast it goes through washer fluid. I put a 4L jug in on wednesday and this morning the washer fluid chime and light come on. I have had the truck for 2 months and have put 6 x 4L jugs of washer into this thing. (My Dakota would go for months without addition) Had the dealer check when I took in for the HVAC recall, and I look under the truck for leaks, nothing! Anyone else notice this?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 AM
mike2810
Captain

Nope. Mine uses about what me last truck did.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Ironsides
Professional

How long do you hold down the sprayer button, and how often do you use it?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:29 AM
plumcrazy73
Captain

Could be a busted washer hose, would not leak when sitting there, but would expel a lot when you use it. You would have to use it longer to get the windshield clean, meaning more leaking out the hole.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:33 AM
DavGav

hi Iron, that's just the thing i have not been using it much at all, weather here has been great, no need to hit it, and when i do its not for long.

Plum, good idea about the hose I'll check that out. thanks

Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 AM
CJDTAUTOTECH
Rookie

did you have the RRT done yet for the washer jug switch that weeps fluid into the woring harness ? Its a update for a new switch and wiring it may be leaking there

Old 08-22-2009, 11:43 AM
DavGav

hi CJDTAUTOTECH, no I was not aware of the RRT. funny when I took it in they did not look it up, but thats another story, not too pleased with my dealer's service dept. Would you know the RRT number so i can have them reference. Thanks

Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 AM
SilverRAMNJ

I had the RRT done and mine is having the same issue. I have used my washer only about 5 times after filling it up and already the light came on.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:31 AM
DavGav

So I took it in to the dealer to have them look and see if the reservoir might be cracked or a bad hose. i also told them about the RRT for the sensor, to which I was told "oh that doesnt apply to your truck" an hour later the service writer tells me, "they have to put a new sensor kit in" go figure. Another 35 minutes he tells me that I need a new washer pump. of course they have none in stock so he will phone me with an update. 4 hours later he calls to tell me they can not order new pump as they can not find the part number . I had little faith in the dealers service department going in, now I am convinced they don't have a clue.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by DavGav
So I took it in to the dealer to have them look and see if the reservoir might be cracked or a bad hose. i also told them about the RRT for the sensor, to which I was told "oh that doesnt apply to your truck" an hour later the service writer tells me, "they have to put a new sensor kit in" go figure. Another 35 minutes he tells me that I need a new washer pump. of course they have none in stock so he will phone me with an update. 4 hours later he calls to tell me they can not order new pump as they can not find the part number . I had little faith in the dealers service department going in, now I am convinced they don't have a clue.
I think that since the probable layoffs that took place when the dealerships closed and who got laid off etc. might have something to do with it since most dealerships got reopened and well if I was laid off and felt bad about it happening I may not be as smart as I once was. But really the new technology has passed the pocket book of the dealerships since they lost a ton while closed and expected to train people and pay for it, I can't believe I am sticking up for a dealership, jmho

Quick Reply: Excessive use of washer fluid