4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

where to buy silverstar bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default where to buy silverstar bulbs?

Has anyone found a place to buy the lowbeam sylvania silverstar bulbs for the trucks with the 4 headlight bulbs. I have found the 9005st highbeams and the 9145st fog lights but I can not find the H11st lowbeam bulbs for sale. The sylvania site says that they are out there somewhere but has anyone found them?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:47 PM
HemiRAMV8
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would caution against the Silverstars, I had four of them (two double packs) fail over the course of a year with them on a different car. Got mine from Autozone (though they were H1 bulbs). Even the stock computer advised a discretionary refund if people prematurely brought them back. May just be the H1 bulb, but the whole range is tarnished for me.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

Don't waste your money on Silverstars for the headlights. You'll get one year of use then you're on borrowed time. I don't know how Sylvania does it, but shortly after a year they crap out. You'd be better off getting a cheap set for the headlights (and the fogs if you use them all the time) and get Silverstars for the highbeams, but then again, the highbeams on these trucks don't do anything.

Instead of spending $120 on Silverstars bulbs, just get an HID set-up for your headlights for about $100. You will notice the difference and thank me later for the beer money you saved.

Last edited by Thatmarkguy; 08-27-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
BOFslime
Rookie

Silverstars are the junk bulb of the ricer world. The blue tint 'white' look they have is from a blue film on the inside of the bulb. They have a terrible light pattern and do not last. Replacing your working factory bulb with one of these things will not be an upgrade.

As thatmarkguy said, you're better off getting an HID kit.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:41 PM
jayman84
Captain

well I must be one of the few that have not had any problems with them in the past. I had a set in my 06 charger for 3 years with no trouble. My old truck had a set that lasted 6 years and the ones in my wifes jeep have been going strong for 4 years.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

silverstars worked good 4 me in my other vehicles... but i think your wasting your time with them... you will get a white light.. but its still going to be dim...

id suggest you buy some HIDs... there are some vendors on this site that will hook you up.... or you can try ebay... i think $80-$110 for hids is a better deal than $50 for the silverstars..

but if your intent on the silverstars you can get them locally at pepboys or online at ebay, amazon or just google them...

Old 08-27-2009, 07:33 PM
jayman84
Captain

the main thing that keeps me from getting a hid kit is the fact that the stock headlight assembly is not built for them. Have you ever met a car going down the road that has those really bright blue headlights and it looks like they have their brights on when they actually dont? that is what happens when you put a hid kit in the stock assembly because they are not capable of deflecting all the light from a hid setup into a tight pattern, so light just floods out all over the place and makes it a hazard to all the cars you meet on the road. Now if there was a projector headlight kit out then I would buy it and do the hid setup but until then i'm not willing to sacrifice safety just for looks. And yes doc I have found them all over with the exception of the H11 silverstar lowbeam bulb....that is the one I cannot find anywhere right now. It is listed on the sylvania site but none of the stores I have checked carry it...and I cant find it on ebay either.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

oh your right.. i forgot i don't think silverstar makes an h11 bulb...

but to your other point.. the factory dodge headlight does do a good job cutting off the light... i have HIDs in mine and never does my light go into the back window of people I'm behind or go into oncoming traffic.. i too hate those inconsiderate punks who are blatantly blinding everyone...

in this pic you can see the strong cutoff I'm talking about.. you can see that no light whatsoever goes above the factory line...

and my front end is actually on a hill which makes the light seem higher than it is... you can tell by my back tires being lower than the front.. so when the truck is level.. all the light is on the ground.. not going out in front

Last edited by Doc Fluty; 08-27-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:37 PM
ArcticWolf
Professional

See if any dealer carry the PIAA, they make a H11 bulb (#15211), and are equal to the silverstar. I been running them for almost a year now.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

Originally Posted by jayman84
the main thing that keeps me from getting a hid kit is the fact that the stock headlight assembly is not built for them. Have you ever met a car going down the road that has those really bright blue headlights and it looks like they have their brights on when they actually dont? that is what happens when you put a hid kit in the stock assembly because they are not capable of deflecting all the light from a hid setup into a tight pattern, so light just floods out all over the place and makes it a hazard to all the cars you meet on the road. Now if there was a projector headlight kit out then I would buy it and do the hid setup but until then i'm not willing to sacrifice safety just for looks. And yes doc I have found them all over with the exception of the H11 silverstar lowbeam bulb....that is the one I cannot find anywhere right now. It is listed on the sylvania site but none of the stores I have checked carry it...and I cant find it on ebay either.

The cars you are making reference to either do not have their headlights adjusted correctly and/or are using a 55 watt HID set-up. The recommended system is a 35 watt set-up.

There are different color temperatures you can get. 4300K and 5000K are going to give you the whitest color output. Usually anything over 6000K to 8000K is going to be blue, when you get up to 10,000K to 12,000K the light is pretty close to purple. On the other end of of the spectrum, most temperatures under 4300K are going to be yellow.

A projector still won't change a light that is overly bright and misaligned.

I've got HIDs in my truck - it was the first mod I did to my truck. The factory lights were dim and adjusted so far down from the factory that the truck was just plain unsafe at night. Now I've got 5000K HIDs properly adjusted and literally the difference is night and day.

Don't be put off because of a few idiots (ricers) who have overly bright and misaligned headlights and have ruined your impression of HIDs.

HIDs are your friend.

But if you don't want HIDs, it's cool, it's your choice, but you don't seem to be informed of the hows and whys of HIDs.

Quick Reply: where to buy silverstar bulbs?