4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Diff Fluid Change at 18k?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff Fluid Change at 18k?

So I took my truck into the dealer for an oil change and theypolitely informed me that I was due for my 18k maintenance which included an oil change, tire rotation and rear diff fluid change. Since I was getting my oil changed, that was that. My tires are aftermarket, so that didn't apply either. But rear diff fluid change at only 18k? My Ford had a 75k or 100k interval. My wife's Hummer has a 50k or 60k interval. WTH? I decided to pass (only at 17,250) and I figured I can get it done somewhere else for less than 188. The guy at the dealership "warned" me that if I didn't get it done by 18k it would void my warranty. I said it could only potentially void the rear diff warranty if fluid was found to be the cause of the problem and he said "no, the warranty states that you must perform all preventative maintenance or the entire warranty is void." Is this correct? What's reasonable for rear diff fluid change? $90?

Old 11-02-2009, 09:56 AM
milkman1371
Professional

i have never heard of having to change diff fluid so soon.....

I am going to look at my book....

Old 11-02-2009, 09:58 AM
milkman1371
Professional

Oh and by the way... reasonable is not 188.00!!

Fluid should cost you.. maybe...$15 to $20..labor, one hour at the most...

Sould be able to get it done at a honest shop for $50 to $80 IMHO....

Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Brummo
Captain

You're kidding, right? 18K for rearend fluid change? That has to be a hoax.. What are they using, water?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:19 AM
HEMICrew
Rookie
Default Long but useful!

This is long but I think it will help.

If you look at page 478 of your Owner's Manual, it shows the maintenance schedule for 18,000 miles. Here is the direct quote.

"Change the engine oil and engine oil filter"
"Rotate tires"
"Inspect the front and rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing."

The inspection of the front and rear axle fluid is required at 18,000 mile intervals but nowhere does it say there is a mandatory replacement time. The transfer case fluid should be inspected every 30,000 miles.

As far as voiding the warranty goes, page 7 of your warranty information booklet, Section G states the following:

G. Registration and Operation Requirements
The Basic Limited Warranty covers your truck only if:
- it was built for sale in the U.S.
- it's registered in the U.S.
- it's driven mainly in the U.S. or Canada; and
- it's operated and maintained in the manner described in your Owner's Manual

With all that said, if you don't meet the requirements of being a police, taxi, heavy consistent hauling, etc. then you shouldn't be replacing that soon but it appears it's all up to the "opinion" of the service tech.

Another interesting find for those of us with 2009s with the Limited Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

Page 13 of your warranty booklet Section G states the following:

"G. Inspections
In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage. For your convenience, powertrain inspection logs have been provided. You should use these logs to keep track of each 5 year powertrain inspection interval."

Bottom line, don't depend on the techs to tell you when it's due...make sure you don't miss that or that will be a reason for them to deny your powertrain lifetime limited warranty.

Jason

Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18K inspection sounds normal to me, especially for a first change. $188 sounds steep, especially since they usually just suck it out rather than pull the cover.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 AM
mike2810
Captain

Depends on the condition of the oil. Take it to a different shop for their take on the issue. As stated above, read your owners manual. Have the dealer explain why it needs to be changed.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM
kevinc66
Professional

Originally Posted by HEMICrew
This is long but I think it will help.

If you look at page 478 of your Owner's Manual, it shows the maintenance schedule for 18,000 miles. Here is the direct quote.

"Change the engine oil and engine oil filter"
"Rotate tires"
"Inspect the front and rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing."

The inspection of the front and rear axle fluid is required at 18,000 mile intervals but nowhere does it say there is a mandatory replacement time. The transfer case fluid should be inspected every 30,000 miles.

As far as voiding the warranty goes, page 7 of your warranty information booklet, Section G states the following:

G. Registration and Operation Requirements
The Basic Limited Warranty covers your truck only if:
- it was built for sale in the U.S.
- it's registered in the U.S.
- it's driven mainly in the U.S. or Canada; and
- it's operated and maintained in the manner described in your Owner's Manual

With all that said, if you don't meet the requirements of being a police, taxi, heavy consistent hauling, etc. then you shouldn't be replacing that soon but it appears it's all up to the "opinion" of the service tech.

Another interesting find for those of us with 2009s with the Limited Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

Page 13 of your warranty booklet Section G states the following:

"G. Inspections
In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage. For your convenience, powertrain inspection logs have been provided. You should use these logs to keep track of each 5 year powertrain inspection interval."

Bottom line, don't depend on the techs to tell you when it's due...make sure you don't miss that or that will be a reason for them to deny your powertrain lifetime limited warranty.

Jason

Thanks for FYI about our Warranty,I've been hearing crazy things on the internet(I should know better)I even heard if your oil is not changed when the "change oil light" comes on,by a Dodge stealership,that'll void your Lifetime Warranty.My first and last oil change,I kept the receipt for the oil change just in case....................Kevin.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:43 PM
HEMICrew
Rookie

Originally Posted by kevinc66
Thanks for FYI about our Warranty,I've been hearing crazy things on the internet(I should know better)I even heard if your oil is not changed when the "change oil light" comes on,by a Dodge stealership,that'll void your Lifetime Warranty.My first and last oil change,I kept the receipt for the oil change just in case....................Kevin.
Kevin,

I haven't seen anywhere yet that requires you to have all maintenance done at the dealership but I would keep all receipts regardless of where you have service done. I will do all my service at my dealership because they have decent prices and I'm willing to pay a few extra dollars to ensure they can't void my warranty for some ludicrous claim down the road. Either way though, keep every receipt and a maintenance log.

Jason

Old 11-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I would have had no problem with an inspection at 18k - that makes sense, but now that I've looked in the maintenance section of the manual, nowhere does it say that it's required to change the rear diff fluid - just inspect it every 18k miles. I'll most likely call the service manager to tell him his service reps are misleading and pressuring customers. I don't know if he'll care, but if he doesn't, that's the last time I'll be visiting them.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Fluid Change at 18k?