4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 AM
GapRunr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Cruise Control

Has anyone added an OEM style cruise control to their 09 or later Ram? I've got the bare bones base truck and would like to add cruise with OEM style controls.

Has anyone tried the Rostra kit?

http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm

They list a unit for the 09 Ram, but none of the companies that sells this unit show the Ram on the fitment list.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 AM
GapRunr
Rookie
Default Bump

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller ? Bueller?

Old 11-07-2009, 07:51 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

So far on all Chrysler products for about a decade or longer all that has been needed for factory cruise was steering wheel switches.Some parts people will give you a deer in the headlight look about parts.But all thats been needed in the past was these switches.Have done that to a truck I owned in the past and for customers.I want to say there is or was a part number for both?switches I believe.Nothing else is needed or needing to be programed etc.Bet 09 and above is no different then previous years to add factory cruise to bare bone trucks etc.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:06 PM
musicallydeclind

Originally Posted by hounddogg
So far on all Chrysler products for about a decade or longer all that has been needed for factory cruise was steering wheel switches.But all thats been needed in the past was these switches.Have done that to a truck I owned in the past and for customers.I want to say there is or was a part number for both?switches I believe.
I'm looking at the Rostra 250-9008 kit http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm for my '08 Ram 1500 ST but the kit is listed for the 2500 and 3500 not the 1500. The kit is essentially just the O&M buttons. I haven't removed my air bag to see if I'm pre-wired yet due to the near zero temperatures here. Do you recall installing the buttons on an '06-'08 1500?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM
scootr68

I've installed several cruise controls on several late model bare bones Chrysler products. Eack kit I installed was oem and each one has a different harness you have to use behind the airbag module. You also get a different collar that has a notch out for the tree type lever for the cruise. I would stick with oem in case anything goes wrong with it. Also under the hood you will have a servo, vacuum lines,throttle cable and additional wires that will need to be fed through the pcm plug. I've yet to see a bare bones vehicle without cruise have buttons added to make it work...much more involved than that.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:36 AM
topgun
Captain

Look here or here. Two threads with info.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:44 AM
musicallydeclind

Originally Posted by scootr68
I've installed several cruise controls on several late model bare bones Chrysler products. Eack kit I installed was oem and each one has a different harness you have to use behind the airbag module. You also get a different collar that has a notch out for the tree type lever for the cruise. I would stick with oem in case anything goes wrong with it. Also under the hood you will have a servo, vacuum lines,throttle cable and additional wires that will need to be fed through the pcm plug. I've yet to see a bare bones vehicle without cruise have buttons added to make it work...much more involved than that.
Yeah, the '08 Ram won't have all of that under the hood because it's Drive By Wire (i.e. there is no throttle cable to clamp the servo to). I should just need the buttons, the clockspring, and land some wires at the ECM. Some people have indicated that the truck may be prewired in which case, I'll just need the buttons and plug to play. Thanks though.

Topgun - I looked at those other threads which give me hope but they are talking about the 4th gen so I may still need to get the soldering iron out. I'll order the kit and let you all know. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:20 PM
topgun
Captain

This is the 4th gen section???

Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 PM
GapRunr
Rookie

Originally Posted by scootr68
. Also under the hood you will have a servo, vacuum lines,throttle cable and additional wires that will need to be fed through the pcm plug. I've yet to see a bare bones vehicle without cruise have buttons added to make it work...much more involved than that.

Mine is as bare bones as they come. Regular cab, short bed, ST with vinyl seats and rubber floor mats. The only option was the factory hitch. In order to make the cruise control work all I had to do was add the switch. The connector behind the airbag on the clock spring was prewired. The collar around the steering column was pre-indented to show where it needed to be cut to provide clearance for the switch, and cutting it with a sharp knife took all of 10 seconds. It also worked right away without having to get it 'turned on' at the dealer.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM
musicallydeclind

Originally Posted by musicallydeclind
Yeah, the '08 Ram won't have all of that under the hood because it's Drive By Wire (i.e. there is no throttle cable to clamp the servo to). I should just need the buttons, the clockspring, and land some wires at the ECM. Some people have indicated that the truck may be prewired in which case, I'll just need the buttons and plug to play. Thanks though.

Topgun - I looked at those other threads which give me hope but they are talking about the 4th gen so I may still need to get the soldering iron out. I'll order the kit and let you all know. Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply. I believe I posted a new thread with my findings but just to be sure... I removed the air bag and found that the truck was indeed pre-wired. I ordered the left and right buttons from dodgeparts.com shipped for around $35 plugged them in and voila, I had working cruise control without landing any wires or flashing the ECM. Best $35 I've ever spent. Thanks Dodge for giving me 3/4 of $800 cruise option for free.

Quick Reply: Adding Cruise Control