4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First complaint I have about my Ram.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:50 PM
jonthefireman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry First complaint I have about my Ram.

Bear with me, I just need to vent about something I struggled with today.

So I broke 1000 miles this weekend and decided I'd change my oil out today while I was on duty. I know....lazy firemen. Some of you are wondering why I would change at 1000, well that's just my OCD, I've always felt the factory oil was "break in" and should be changed at 1000.

So...I get started, changing out to Mobil 1 and a Wix filter. I usually run Amsoil, and still due in my Harley's and my boat. However, I've read a ton of posts that convinced me the Hemi might respond better to Mobil 1, not to mention it's a lot cheaper. I've ALWAYS changed my own oil for a couple of reasons. One, I don't necessarily trust a lube shop to put in what they say their putting in and two, I want to make sure the oil filter and plug are installed right.

Ok, to get to the moral of the story, things were going flawlessly until I got to the Mopar oil filter. OMG, I have struggled with some tight filters before, but this one took the cake! I truly think it was put on with an impact wrench! I broke a strap wrench that I've had for 15 years and didn't budge it. I tried another filter wrench and could not move it a hair. I finally resorted to the old "redneck filter wrench" ala driving a screwdriver through the filter and still couldn't budge it! I literally tore the filter almost in half trying to push that screwdriver. I finally went to our maintenance shop and found an "industrial strenght" filter wrench that got it. Holy crap, has anyone else ran into this with the factory first filter?

I'm half tempted to take the shreaded filter to the dealer and show them! So much for following the manual "don't over tighten the oil filter"!

If you read this far, thanks for letting me vent!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:15 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common problem and there are a dozen threads about it here. The factory filter is on really tight,

Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 PM
busa_tom

I have heard of this from many othr posters, next weekend i intend to find out myself. Thanks for the advice, I wil be sure to have the big wrench style filter remover on hand just incase!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Bearhog
Amateur

Same Issue on my first oil change.

Be prepared for a struggle on the first change. I'd also suggest that you rig up a funnel or some other catch pan directly under the filter. Even after draining, there is still a fair amount of oil in the fitting the filter mounts to. I've never understood why all filters always have to be placed directly over an exhaust, swaybar, etc. Then again, I dont design autos for a living.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 AM
kevinc66
Professional

I heard the same thing about the factory installed filter,I had Firestone do the first oil change,I'll do the rest................Kevin.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM
jason2922
Veteran

Yes, i crushed the heck out of my first oil can trying to remove it... It took a special type tool to remove the crushed can and three ppl attempting to remove it...

Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Mackiver

LOL - yes indeed! Not room for my big pipe wrench but a chain wrench fit and did the job.

Anyone know if there is a remote filter kit for the Hemi? I was led to believe the filter changed in 2009 - don't know what - but the dealer had a different part number.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 PM
ran jr
Veteran

I think someone mis-read the specs at the engine assembly plant and thought the 1/2 turn after the gasket meets was 12 turns. May have been lost in translation.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
rut1095

Took mine to the dealer for the first change... Let them deal with it...

Old 11-09-2009, 09:11 PM
mcs
Amateur

I thought I would change my oil this morning [7000 Km.]I figured it should take less than half hour,not having to jack the truck up.Everything was good ,till I tried to remove the oil filter.Must have crawled under my truck at least 20 times.First tried a strap wrench .No room to turn it.Tried the plastic cup style,and stripped it.Finaly got it to turn using the plier style."Whew"I almost thought I would have to take it to the dealership.

Quick Reply: First complaint I have about my Ram.