4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ren

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Brummo
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ren

Ayone else just have their tuner quit on them for no reason. I was driving down the road and was switching through the media..FM, AM, CD, Sat etc with the steering wheel controls, then for no reason I could not get the touch screen to do anything for FM or AM. no sound nothing and the same for using the wheel controls. All I could do was switch to the other modes.They worked perfect. When I got to my destination and let it sit for a bit, things were back to normal. Wierd.....Was I flipping too fast through the modes or what??

Old 11-15-2009, 12:13 AM
cpelton
Veteran

no problems here!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 AM
hemimike
Rookie

yes I have had the same problem happen twice to me,it goes in for service next week I will have them look at it then,as well as look at my headliner it is hanging down a bit and it rattles.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM
depunz
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think mine did that once. I was flipping through the functions fast and it locked up. Only did it once. I'm hoping it won't do it again.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Brummo
Captain

Originally Posted by depunz
I think mine did that once. I was flipping through the functions fast and it locked up. Only did it once. I'm hoping it won't do it again.
Ya, it was weird, was flipping through and couldn't do anything with the tuner (AM/FM). Face was dead to the touch, couldn't change stations, nothing...Everthing else worked, cd, sat, hdd.. Glad it fixed itself though, for now.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 PM
savage_46
Professional

i had the same thing happen to mine a couple times, and witnessed it in a customers truck. mine completely froze on FM and took awhile to change modes. would also freeze every 4 or 5 times when changing songs on the HDD. customers truck would freeze during HDD playback. per chrysler, i called the engineering guy, and he said to replace both. my new one was perfect for awhile, but now freezes every now and then. the engineer said
that due to a lot of the REN problems theyre having, it going to be discontinued and replaced w/ a new model. i asked if anyone who has a REN would still be getting a REN when the model is out--he didnt know, and couldnt give a definative answer either way. HTH and good luck with yours

Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM
sneeks
Professional

Only problem i have had has been the loss of signal from XM. Sometimes it will go out, and not return for the entire trip home from work. Rare, but has happened about 3 times since I've had the truck. Searching for signal......

Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 PM
seigell
Veteran

I've had a weird one: On my REN, I was listening to NFL Game on SAT when the Searching for Signal came ON and sound went OFF. Was in clear surroundings - middle of nowhere - so figured Sat feed had gone down. Switched to HDD - and there was the Game playing !! Switched back to SAT - nothing but Searching for Signal message. Shook my head and switched back to HDD to listen to my Broncos get pummeled on the "Satellite track from nowhere". About 20 min later, HDD Playlist started playing, and SAT feed was still not there - missed end of Game.
My system didn't straighten out it's SAT Reception until about 4hrs and 3 power cycles later (not pulling battery unless must-do).

Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Brummo
Captain

Originally Posted by savage_46
i had the same thing happen to mine a couple times, and witnessed it in a customers truck. mine completely froze on FM and took awhile to change modes. would also freeze every 4 or 5 times when changing songs on the HDD. customers truck would freeze during HDD playback. per chrysler, i called the engineering guy, and he said to replace both. my new one was perfect for awhile, but now freezes every now and then. the engineer said
that due to a lot of the REN problems theyre having, it going to be discontinued and replaced w/ a new model. i asked if anyone who has a REN would still be getting a REN when the model is out--he didnt know, and couldnt give a definative answer either way. HTH and good luck with yours
MIne has done that as well, but thought I was just hearing things, (HDD stuff like you).
I will be definitely be trying to replace it before warranty is up in a couple years.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:15 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by savage_46
2010 gets a new radio RBZ I think but it is not made by Harmon Becker anymore, its now made by Mitsubishi. The antenna connection is not the same so you would probably have to buy a new antenna unless someone has a convertor.