4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2009 RAM stereo replacement experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009 | 11:04 AM
CaliAthlete
Professional

What system did you start out with? I'm getting the upgraded "premium" 9 or 10 speaker setup whatever it is...I think Alpine? Haven't even picked up my truck yet as I'm still in Iraq for another couple weeks, but if that system isn't up to par I'll probably end up redoing the whole thing as well, or at least the speakers (comes with the navigation, backup camera, etc so I don't want to mess with the head unit if I can avoid it).

Old 11-27-2009 | 10:30 PM
Spring Hemi

Good job! Wish I had the nerve to do it also.

Old 12-03-2009 | 02:46 PM
TDD_Shizzy
Amateur

Did you crimp on new connectors or just solder the wires to the speaker terminals? I just ordered Pioneer TS-A6963R for my doors and Pioneer TS-A878 for the dash, from Sonic Electronix for 145 shipped. Figured at $50 a pair for 6x9s, that get rated well, i cant go wrong. I need to sift through the wiring diagram site to get familiar with it all, unless you have some easy cheat sheet for the wiring that you used. Thanks for the great write up!

Old 12-03-2009 | 08:53 PM
WESIDE
Veteran

Wow, Lots of info.
Thanks for the time you spent doing the write up.
Subscribing to this post

Old 12-04-2009 | 02:42 AM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by Eternalodyssey
Friggin,

I don't think the sound quality was brought down one bit by the replacement of the speakers. Actually I hooked up both the front and rear speakers on the driver side and did an audible sound comparison. I will admit I am not audiophile but the sound is just amazing how different it is like night and day. The factory speakers are 2-way 4 OHM with paper cones and foam surrounds. My Kenwood speakers are also 4 OHM so there is very little to no change in the way of resistance with the new setup. I left the dash 3 1/2s wired in for that very reason and after comparing by covering them up and listening and then uncovering them and listening, I believe in my non-expert opinion that the imaging is quite enhanced by having the dash speakers bounce sound off the windshield. When I spoke to the gentleman in the parts & service department who assured me that my project would meet minimal success, I discovered that the 6x9s are all 4 OHM and according to him, the dash speakers are 2 OHM. All in all, this matters little to me as it sounds great to my ears and I was able to fit my navigation unit in my dash with just a little modification. While the changes are permanent, I don't believe there will be any effect on my 8 year warranty, because if anything broke, the dealership would have to prove that my removal of a minor amount of plastic and metal holding the original stereo in caused damage. And that is rather unlikely. I did in fact lose my original SIRIUS ESN subscription but that is not a big deal to me, as I am utilizing a quick-connect dock hidden in my uppermost glove box to house my SIRIUS tuner. The tuner pops out of the cradle and I can take it with me to work and pop it in my SIRIUS boom box or my Home Dock. I signed up for a new subscription, as SIRIUS informed me that they would not transfer my 1-year trial subscription unless the original stereo was stolen. Not a big deal, I don't mind paying for it because since getting SIRIUS, that is ALL I listen to. I also like the local channels during my drive home here in STL as they play some decent music during rush hour so I opted for the HD tuner. After Thanksgiving I will likely post my whole setup in case anyone is interested. I was surprised how much room is available behind the dash. It all fit tightly but it fit nonetheless. I was initially apprehensive about ripping apart my dash and trying to install all my Gucci Gear but I just received orders back to Iraq in a few months so I suppose the last week or so I have been looking at things a little differently. I'm going to enjoy MY truck the way I want to, not the way DODGE may have designed the stereo setup to possibly squeeze a few bucks out of me for a system I likely would not have been happy with.
Ihave 3 accounts with Sirius, my Ram, sons Avenger and 72 chevy. When I told them I was considering upgrading my radio to a better model would the sat be transferable, No problem. I don't know if Sirius Canada and Us has different policies? I already have it installed and the sat was working so why bother, if I make it to March that is my expiry date. I will just see what happens, I have heard of radios purchased going beyond the year because the dealer started them as loaners . If you let them know that you will not bother to renew later maybe they will change their tune?

Old 12-06-2009 | 07:41 PM
Eternalodyssey
|
Amateur

"TDD Shizzy," I simply clipped the factory speaker wires so that in the far distant case that I decided to trade the truck in, I could return the speaker clips and the factory speakers to their original locations. I used 18 AWG crimps to attach the aftermarket connectors to my Kenwood speakers. I have discussed with others the feasibility there would have been of redesigning the openings within the door panels with round 6.5" speakers and while the idea carried certain validity, I failed to see how 6.5" 3-way speakers would sound any better then comparably priced 6x9 5-way speakers. While components with crossovers might certainly be the way to go if you are willing to perform serious work on your doors, I think trimming the minor bit of plastic required to make aftermarket 6x9s was by far the smarter way for me to go. Shizzy, I will try to locate the wiring diagram I used when installing the speakers & share that with you. While I know of no proof that placing a speaker into the opposite phase (swapping positive & negative) will cause damage to your speakers, I know they can sound like garbage when you turn them up to louder levels due to cancellation. "72Combo," I argued with the Sirius representative for about 10 minutes about my factory subscription and wanting to transfer it but she insisted in me not being able to transfer it. At least I think that was what she said, I couldn't understand her. I talked to a second representative after requesting a rep who spoke intelligible English. The second rep explained to me in easy to understand terms that 1 year factory subscriptions are not transfereable unless the stereo (vehicle) was stolen. She did however offer me $75 off the lifetime membership so I sucked it up and paid my $400 for the lifetime membership since I use a portable tuner between my truck, my boom box at work, and my home stereo dock in my living room. It would have been $13 a month for the subscription anyway and I can transfer it 3 total times when my tuner "breaks" (gets phased out by newer tuners being available and me "accidentally" phasing it out by running over my old one with with my RAM). I know Sirius only offers their Lifetime membership from time to time so I would jump on it if you are leaning on the fence at this point.

Old 12-22-2009 | 10:38 PM
Eternalodyssey
|
Amateur

Well it has been too many weeks and I figured I would update this thread with my most current information. I have installed HD Radio with my aftermarket stereo, the Pioneer Avic F700BT, as well as the Satellite Radio and the Quick-Connect Sirius tuner dock in my top dash box. As with my previous posts, I started with the stock stereo and trimmed the bottom of the metal bracket that held the stock stereo in place to fit the wider/taller stereo

Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  90.5 KB

Next I installed the Head-unit and made sure everything fit. It was important to me to be able to maintain having my Sirius subscription so I went ahead and installed the Sirius Connect Dock&Play to house my Sirius tuner within my top glove box. Really didn't take up much space and I opted to run the wires through the existing holes for the time being. I utilized the 3M RED doubles sided tape to affix it to the plastic and it hasn't moved since. This allows me the ability to remove my Sirius tuner from my truck and use it at work with the boom box I bought as well as being able to use it in my home. I highly reccommend this item over having multiple tuners like some might be stuck at using, not knowing this unit is available.

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 2188
Size:  75.1 KB

Then I decided I wanted to have HD Radio access as well as my Sirius so I went ahead and ordered the HD tuner: the GEX-P20HD tuner to connect through the Pioneer Bus aling with a standard Motorola splitter so that the antenna signal would go to both my tuner as well as my HD tuner in case my HD tuner ever went out for some reason I could still access FM stereo. I then installed the Pioneer CD-SB10 interface for the Satellite radio right next to the HD tuner. I spliced the power and ground wires together especially since they utilized identical power wires. I was actually rather surprised with the amount of room I had behind that stereo within the dash. It all fit rather well and I used plenty of double-sided tape to affix everything solidly. The last thing I wanted was rattling in my cab. I think it came out rather well and everything worked perfect the 1st time!

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 2236
Size:  71.6 KB

Notice both the add-on units installed rather flawlessly on the small lip below the stereo.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  81.5 KB

As before, everything fit very well and the truck retain as very well-fit look with the new stereo installed. I am so glad there are other options available other then the stock Dodge offerings.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 3168
Size:  84.4 KB

With everything in place I buttoned it all up and have been driving around with glory that I have a kickass Navigation System and speakers without having to drop the thousands on the stock offering from Dodge that I really was not impressed with. Speaking of speakers, how about some speaker wire colors for those of you wanting to replace your speakers without cracking open your dash? Alllllllllllrighty then!

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  104.1 KB

Okie Dokie.

Green with Purple stripe: - Right Front +
Green with Yellow stripe: - Right Front -
Grey with Purple stripe: - Left Front +
Grey with Yellow stripe: - Left Front -
Green with Lt Green stripe: - Right Rear +
Green with White stripe: - Right Rear -
Grey with Lt Green stripe: - Left Rear +
Grey with Drk Green stripe: - Left Rear -

Hopefully this information helps someone. If not, hopefully it is welcome Gee-whiz. Cheers.

Old 12-23-2009 | 03:31 AM
jason2922
Veteran

Dude, you rock!!!

I've been eyeballing those speakers, think I'll grab me two sets as well...

Old 12-31-2009 | 03:43 PM
nticer5

Hi,
with new 6x9 speakers in front,do you notice a big difference in bass? cause in the truck,where my head is while driving,i cant hear bass,i have to move my head forward near the front windshield to hear true bass...if not,it's kinda distortioning...

Old 01-01-2010 | 08:10 PM
Eternalodyssey
|
Amateur

Yes, I do notice bass all the time with the new speakers but keep in mind I combined new speakers with a new head unit at the same time. It has been my experience that factory stereos output such low wattage and tend to be "directed" not to output heavy bass so that the cheap factory speakers do not distort as bad. When I had my entry level (bottom of the lined) factory stereo in, I did notice a little bit of Bass coming from the front speakers but not very much so I don't know if there is a frequency limiting factor coming from the stock stereo. I did notice though that with my aftermarket stereo and speakers, I experience a little bit of rattling from around the locking popper trim. But that is when I do not use any frequency cutoff whatsoever. My Pioneer F700BT has a variable passive filter built in to it so that I am able to eliminate that by just cutting the extremely low frequencies. I intend to emplace a single 10" sub where the factory sub goes in a month or so. That will significantly reduce reliance on the door speakers for bass. At least in theory it will. But I've never been happier with the truck since putting in my nav unit. The speakers were really worth the little bit of trouble I went through to install them.

Quick Reply: 2009 RAM stereo replacement experience