4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Waranty work....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Stihlpro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waranty work....

My truck has about 1400 miles on it. On the way home the other day I felt a slight shimmy in the wheel at 64-70 mph. It would go away at slower speeds. It was also slightly drifting to the right if I took my hands off the wheel. Being a little annoyed about this I decided to go to the dealership tonight since the service dept. Is open 24 hours. I explianed my problem and also noted to other items that I have been having problems with. 1...the key FOB was doing the usual work, don't work, work , don't work act. Like the problem many of you are having. 2.......I noticed today while I was pulling back into the shop that my passenger side Ram Box looked like it wasn't closed all the way. I went over to it and opened it and closed it again. Seems for some reason the door isn't sitting flush on top with the rest of the bed rail. The driver side seems fine. The tech took it out for a test drive and I went along ....u know...to make sure my baby wasn't being drag raced or molested by dirty hands all over the interior. He got onto the freeway and just a few seconds later said oh ****....we are doing 70 already....I said yeah.....the ride is so smooth and the Hemi just gets u there quick. He noticed the shimmy right away and said he was going to check balance and tie rods. He didn't notice the drift and said it was probably just the way the road was. I know it wasn't the road because I was on a few different ones when it was happening. We went back and I said I would wait. That was at 5pm. At 10:30 I was getting pissed seeing all these other people come and go. I asked where my truck was and he said out front. I asked why I was never told it was done and what the outcome was. The service manager said it was never printed on the sheet that I was waiting....Then happen to see it on the last page when I got a little forward with the bastard. Anyway....one wheel was out of balance. The rebalanced all 4 and also replaced my key FOB. There apparently is no adjustment on the Ram Box lid so they couldn't do anything about tonight. He told me I would need to bring it back so the body guy could look at it. If he can't get it to sit flush then they would have to replace the whole box assembly. If they did that then it would also have to be painted. I don't need this headache with only 1400 miles on the truck .....paint not matching and all the other problems that come when U have something repainted. Has anyone here had this problem with their Ram Box? It's not overly noticable but I am **** and notice things like that. Kinda looks like when you close your door but it is still open that 1 click.....any advice or help would be apreciated. everything I had done tonight was covered and free of charge. The Ram Box would also be covered.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 AM
jason2922
Veteran

Being as new as it is, get a new one and have it painted. You won't notice any color difference.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
capsfloyd
Captain

There was a recall on the locks, I think. Mine went in and the repair was made

Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Stihlpro

Originally Posted by capsfloyd
There was a recall on the locks, I think. Mine went in and the repair was made
What was done to fix it and how can I find out if my truck is included in that recall?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Stihlpro

Here are some pictures....The right side box is the problem....I also included one of the left box just to show a difference. Is there any adjustment on the lid? If I push down on the lid when its closed it will sit flush so there has to be some sort of adjustment to bring it down. It only sits high in the rear.

Last edited by Stihlpro; 01-19-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:28 PM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine (passenger side) also looks like yours in the rear. interested to see how they handle it. i would rather have the door fixed as opposed to having it replaced. the dealer did some pin striping on mine too.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Stihlpro

I am pretty annoyed about this and I was told by the dealer the whole box assembly would need to be replaced. I would rather pay out of my own pocket at a body shop than have the yahoo mechanics at the dealership try to fix it.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:42 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by Stihlpro
I am pretty annoyed about this and I was told by the dealer the whole box assembly would need to be replaced. I would rather pay out of my own pocket at a body shop than have the yahoo mechanics at the dealership try to fix it.
Wrong thought there unless you can take it to a body shop you know of. I personally think that most of us have the idea in our head, I am included, that when u get something painted outside of the factory it wont be as good. Well here is a kicker for ya, when a plant is having paint problems and they cannot make their quota for the day -- how many units out the door they will send vehicles if in demand to the dealer and the dealer will make the paint repair. Now I cannot say for sure they still do that but they did before. It was called Ship to Maintain. So if you are worried ask them to paint the new box before they put it on the truck. I think they can adjust or just replace the door on the box. I think there is a tsb or recall or something I remember reading somewhere. I will try to find what I read.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Stihlpro

Originally Posted by 72combo
Wrong thought there unless you can take it to a body shop you know of. I personally think that most of us have the idea in our head, I am included, that when u get something painted outside of the factory it wont be as good. Well here is a kicker for ya, when a plant is having paint problems and they cannot make their quota for the day -- how many units out the door they will send vehicles if in demand to the dealer and the dealer will make the paint repair. Now I cannot say for sure they still do that but they did before. It was called Ship to Maintain. So if you are worried ask them to paint the new box before they put it on the truck. I think they can adjust or just replace the door on the box. I think there is a tsb or recall or something I remember reading somewhere. I will try to find what I read.
I understand what you are saying and have a great body shop I deal with. But here is the kicker for YOU....LOL...If there was a recall on the box shouldn't they have known or found out about it? And shouldn't they KNOW how to adjust the lid if it is such a problem? Thanks for the info...I hope you can find it..This way I can print and bring it to show those yahoos.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:51 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by Stihlpro
What was done to fix it and how can I find out if my truck is included in that recall?
Call the dealership give them your vin and ask them what RRT's and Recalls and TSB's are there for your vehicle. Rapid Response Transmittal---I think are mainly software upgrades, Recall is a Recall..gotta be fixed, Technical Service Bulletin----If people come in complaining about a certain item it gets fixed, not usually something that is offered unless the customer complains...like the door on your box. Kinda like if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. I personally think they would demand that you allow them to fix the box door since you are driving around and every is checking out the new RAM, I can't stop at a light without someone asking if it's the NEW ONE....I have to admit I check them out too and I am in one. I am seeing so many now, before here and there, bummer though most like mine Black CC. I love the white and now wish I waited.

PS Hey man don't let them scare you with the paint thing if they don't paint it right don't accept it. Make sure you try to get a loaner, or tell them you will go to a dealer that has loaners most do around here.

Quick Reply: Waranty work....