4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best headlight upgrade I ever made

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010 | 12:13 AM
apexfx
|
Amateur
Default best headlight upgrade I ever made

just installed a set of Toshiba 9011 HIR bulbs in high beam,wow,way better than stock, and the best thing is the beam stayed same as factory.By the way I have the quad lights,stock with the Sport.

Old 11-18-2010 | 11:11 AM
doubledown
Amateur

The 9011 is the low beam. Do they make a bulb for the high beams? Who did you order them from? I definately have to do something with these headlights.

Old 11-18-2010 | 02:10 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by doubledown
The 9011 is the low beam. Do they make a bulb for the high beams? Who did you order them from? I definately have to do something with these headlights.
http://hirheadlights.com/

Old 11-18-2010 | 02:44 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

Seem expensive to me.

Old 11-18-2010 | 03:11 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by John Valdes
Seem expensive to me.
It kinda is once you consider that we can go to full HID bulbs for $60 with shipping included. Mind you, this is only the bulbs and not the projectors needed for a sure fire HID install, but still..

I'm thinking about changing mine out to 6000K for the high and low beams with a 3000K bulb for the fog lights. In Missouri, we don't have all the light laws that other states have, so I can get away with a high contrast yellow beam that will really help with road marking visibility in wet weather at night.

Old 11-18-2010 | 04:40 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
It kinda is once you consider that we can go to full HID bulbs for $60 with shipping included. Mind you, this is only the bulbs and not the projectors needed for a sure fire HID install, but still..

I'm thinking about changing mine out to 6000K for the high and low beams with a 3000K bulb for the fog lights. In Missouri, we don't have all the light laws that other states have, so I can get away with a high contrast yellow beam that will really help with road marking visibility in wet weather at night.
Have you been on the other side of those lights, I happen to know someone who hit a person who was standing on the side of the road, he swerved because the truck that went by, well his headlights were so bright they blinded him temporarily so he just moved over a bit know there was a shoulder but not knowing there was a person there. It turned out to be a relative of the truck driver...not sure what kind of bulbs etc. but where do you live you need lights that bright and when other cars around you should be able to ton them down a bit? If you need that much light maybe an eye test is in order.

Old 11-18-2010 | 04:45 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by 72combo
Have you been on the other side of those lights, I happen to know someone who hit a person who was standing on the side of the road, he swerved because the truck that went by, well his headlights were so bright they blinded him temporarily so he just moved over a bit know there was a shoulder but not knowing there was a person there. It turned out to be a relative of the truck driver...not sure what kind of bulbs etc. but where do you live you need lights that bright and when other cars around you should be able to ton them down a bit? If you need that much light maybe an eye test is in order.
Perhaps a reading comprehension test is in order for you. I made mention of projector housings in that last post for this sole reason. You are right in the regard that these HID bulbs in a factory housing is pretty senseless, but if done correctly, they are just as safe as factory HID systems. It's not the light intensity here. It's where they are aimed and where the cut off is.

Old 11-18-2010 | 06:18 PM
doubledown
Amateur

" The HIR1 / 9011 replaces a stock 9005/HB3 high beam bulb and the HIR2 / 9012 replaces a stock 9006/HB4 low beam." This is a quote from the hirheadlight site. apexfx, you put the 9011 in the low beam and it worked fine? help me out i'm a little slow. I need more light and don't know which bulbs to order.

Old 11-18-2010 | 08:51 PM
apexfx
|
Amateur
Old 11-18-2010 | 11:10 PM
eclipsems
Professional

Originally Posted by doubledown
" The HIR1 / 9011 replaces a stock 9005/HB3 high beam bulb and the HIR2 / 9012 replaces a stock 9006/HB4 low beam." This is a quote from the hirheadlight site. apexfx, you put the 9011 in the low beam and it worked fine? help me out i'm a little slow. I need more light and don't know which bulbs to order.
I believe that article is just outlining two particular bulbs if your vehicle uses them, they are not particularly outlining bulbs for a Dodge Ram.

According to my research, if you have the 4 Headlamp system, you need:

2010 DODGE Ram Pickup (With 4 headlamp system)
Low beam headlamp: H11
High beam headlamp: 9005

You can look it up here:
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

I'm ordering a set, and post pictures with the difference if my camera is up to it.

Quick Reply: best headlight upgrade I ever made