4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Firestone air bags leaking...not sure why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:47 PM
cmscat50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone air bags leaking...not sure why?

OK so I just installed these the other night. Filled with 5 PSI and drove a couple days. Checked and still 5PSI. Brought into the dealer yesterday for oil change / rotate tires. Checked air bags today...no air! Hooked up air pump and it just blows air right through. I hear a leak near the airbag on each one. From what I can tell reaching in there the hose is hooked up to the airbag yet. Not sure what if anything I did wrong. I originally hooked up the hose while the truck was on the hoist so there should be enough slack in the hose.

Anyone else have an issue? I guess next step is to attempt to unhook hose from airbag and pressurize the hose and see if the hose is the leaker or the airbag.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps you didn't leave enough slack in the air line near the top of the bag so when the dealer lifted the truck on the hoist the lines pulled out of the fittings?

Rob

Old 12-03-2010, 02:54 PM
oldjeep
Champion

put a little talcum powder in your inlet and then shoot some air in. Should become obvious where the leak is.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:57 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

same thing happened to me. at 5psi there is enough slack at the top to allow the spacer to jostle around and jiggle the fill tube enough to allow air to escape....I think.

I filled mine to 10psi and hoping that does the trick.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM
cmscat50

Well I can't even fill mine. The air goes out as fast as I put it in. Again I'm nearly positive the lines are still hooked to the bags. I reached in there and couldn't pull the line out of the top of the bag. I'll jack it up and take a closer look in a couple days. It's confusing, but may be a dumb mistake on my part...since the leak is on both sides.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:48 PM
JoesBrotherRamMan
Professional

Isn't this reassuring lol. Was about to pull the trigger on buying some. Btw, is install of relative ease?

Old 12-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default same thing happenned to me 2 times

I had the same issue twice. The first time I didn't have enough slack and the lines came out and had the same symptoms as you. I couldn't put any air into the bags. I rerouted with plenty of length and reinserted the hoses and still had a slow leak. This time, I pulled the hoses from the bags and cut off about 1/2 inch from the end so new hose would go into the bags. I made sure the hose went in as deep as possible and now I run 7-8 PSI (I have a camper shell) all the time and they haven't leaked in a couple of months.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 12-03-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:29 PM
pdavis53
All Star

Originally Posted by JoesBrotherRamMan
Isn't this reassuring lol. Was about to pull the trigger on buying some. Btw, is install of relative ease?
No kidding! This is the first issue I have ssen with these bags. Don't let one or two issue's stop you from buying them. My guess is it is something simple.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:12 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

three things....1 you have to have enough slack for suspension travel..2 you have to have the ends of the tubes cut straight so they fit in properly...3 you have to make sure the tubes are pushed in all the way. The third one is the common problem, you have to push pretty hard on the line going into the bag to make sure it seats properly and goes all the way in. If you have done all three and it still leaks then you might have a problem with the fitting on top of your bag. These bags are the best thing I have added to my truck and I absolutely love them. So dont give up on them yet.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 PM
cmscat50

It was my fault. When installing I didn't have the tire 100% off the ground. I cut the hose about 1"...yes a single inch short. So the hoses though not completely pulled out were pulled out enough to leak. I pulled about 2" more slack into the hose and will try it.

Quick Reply: Firestone air bags leaking...not sure why?