4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

really bad gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 AM
ewb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 crew cab 4x4 hemi, 6inch superlift, 34.1 inch Goodyear wrangers, superchips set on xs gas saver. I get 430 miles to the tank.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 AM
plumcrazy73
Captain

ewb, what size tank and what gears?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Harmsie
Amateur

Originally Posted by CarGuyOhio
The weather/winter gas took between 2 and 3 MPGs from me. EVIC went from 17 to mid 14s and hand calcs are not far off from the EVIC.
Same here in MN. Went from 18 to 16 with the latest cold weather hit.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:20 PM
hemiflht

Did speedo correction today dealer said only three settings 20' 17' or 20' aggressive tire size might have to buy a tuner said they couldn't input 35' tire size r they right gas mileage seems worst now!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 02:03 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Over the years I have lost count of how many posts I have read on diesel and gas sites about poor fuel mileage on lifted big tired trucks.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hemiflht
Did speedo correction today dealer said only three settings 20' 17' or 20' aggressive tire size might have to buy a tuner said they couldn't input 35' tire size r they right gas mileage seems worst now!!!
Big heavy a$$ truck and every mod you did to it was not in the name of saving fuel. Either live with it, or sell it and let someone else enjoy the truck. That 2009 you see in my signature is netting about 13.9MPG with a 1.5" level and 35" Nitto Terra Grappler tires. Of course, this is a lot of city driving and idling in the mornings while waiting for his kids to go to school. You get that very same truck out on the highway and it does around 16-18.5 depending on which state we're in and the weather.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:11 PM
DodgeNweave
Amateur

X2! Dealer said the highest setting they had was for 33s or some crap, Im not wanting to use a tuner. ie possible warranty issues.

You would think the technology level of these vehicle computer systems, would allow for more adjustment in certain areas.
I think Mopar needs to come up with a tuner!
Reality is, nobody bought this truck as a gas saver per say. You would have bought a honda. But we certainly should have the ability to control what is done with the truck right? I mean we own them! And even though they say they are tuned for max fuel efficiency, we all know there are minor adjustments that can be made to optimize this area, and performance.
After having the dealer admit to me that cold air and a freer flowing exhaust was better for the engine, I wonder why if better, were they not built in, in the first place? Those products are extremely cheap for them. Along with other engine bettering products.
Yet Chrysler stands with arms crossed saying we cant touch practically ANYTHING on their vehicle or they will void the warranty.
This also brings to mind the fact that most stock trucks of our size get roughly the same mpg regardless of engine size, within a couple of mpgs of each other. I would venture to say there is a possiblity of the automakers, the oil companies, and the EPA ( government) all holding hands in favor of lining their pockets, not necessarily making the better product.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Throwing a free flowing intake and a free flowing exhaust on vehicles does indeed help, but manufacturers cannot do this legally across all 50 states. In the long run, it is much cheaper for them to produce one vehicle that is 50 state legal than it is to make special edition vehicles for states that need more equipment on their vehicle. IE California in this case. If you make a change to your exhaust and live in California, the modification must be CARB legal or you will fail an emissions test.

I am unsure about other brands, but I know in the mid 90's through 2000's, Chrysler played with the idea of producing trucks for sale in certain states. IE the ram. If you bought a California edition ram, the truck had two extra catalytic converters instead of 1 or 2 (Depended on the year) It was also during this time that Chrysler played with tuning that a person could buy aftermarket. They may in fact still do this for some vehicles, but I have not looked into it. In the past, they sold a different PCM called the MOPAR performance PCM that threw down a complete different tune compared to what the factory was putting out.

As for the argument about tire size... Chrysler is not out to cater to people who modify their vehicles. It is a hairy situation. Therefore, they will only adjust parameters that can be found in and on other factory settings. These tire sizes are a prime example. Why should they care or provide support for a person who wants to run a tire size differing from what they offered from the factory? Hell, they can barely take care of people who do not modify their vehicles let alone people who do.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 PM
hemiflht

Money for gas is not a problem was just wondering y friends with same set up r getting 3to 4 miles per gallon more . Just on here to try and get some info since the dealers don't know s&&&!! I'm trading the truck next week on a 2010 ram crew Laramie diesel making the appointment tommorrow for the lift and 37' tires!!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Money for gas is not a problem was just wondering y friends with same set up r getting 3to 4 miles per gallon more . Just on here to try and get some info since the dealers don't know s&&&!! I'm trading the truck next week on a 2010 ram crew Laramie diesel making the appointment tommorrow for the lift and 37' tires!!

hmmmmmmmmm...........
You are trading the truck in next week, but you are still doing the lift and wheels...???? I dont get it.
Oh, wait a minute, did you get one of those letters from your stealership telling you that they need hemi trucks because they are highly saught after...?

Quick Reply: really bad gas mileage