4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

really bad gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Throwing a free flowing intake and a free flowing exhaust on vehicles does indeed help, but manufacturers cannot do this legally across all 50 states. In the long run, it is much cheaper for them to produce one vehicle that is 50 state legal than it is to make special edition vehicles for states that need more equipment on their vehicle. IE California in this case. If you make a change to your exhaust and live in California, the modification must be CARB legal or you will fail an emissions test.

I am unsure about other brands, but I know in the mid 90's through 2000's, Chrysler played with the idea of producing trucks for sale in certain states. IE the ram. If you bought a California edition ram, the truck had two extra catalytic converters instead of 1 or 2 (Depended on the year) It was also during this time that Chrysler played with tuning that a person could buy aftermarket. They may in fact still do this for some vehicles, but I have not looked into it. In the past, they sold a different PCM called the MOPAR performance PCM that threw down a complete different tune compared to what the factory was putting out.

As for the argument about tire size... Chrysler is not out to cater to people who modify their vehicles. It is a hairy situation. Therefore, they will only adjust parameters that can be found in and on other factory settings. These tire sizes are a prime example. Why should they care or provide support for a person who wants to run a tire size differing from what they offered from the factory? Hell, they can barely take care of people who do not modify their vehicles let alone people who do.

laramie, you ole`coot, dam nice write up...!!!!!!!!! Hat`s off to ya...!!!!!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hemiflht
Money for gas is not a problem was just wondering y friends with same set up r getting 3to 4 miles per gallon more . Just on here to try and get some info since the dealers don't know s&&&!! I'm trading the truck next week on a 2010 ram crew Laramie diesel making the appointment tommorrow for the lift and 37' tires!!

WOW! Money for gas must not be a problem if you can absorb the hit of trading in a 2010 vehicle already. You are gonna lose your A$$ on that deal!

Stay tuned for the upcoming "why am I getting 5 less miles per gallon and have way less power than the guys with the 2007 and before 5.9 CTDs" thread. LMAO...

Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 PM
hemiflht

The lift and the 37"s are for the new diesel..No i didnt lose alot because i work for chrysler plus i sold my hemi to a guy off the street who is doing the deal through the dealer !!I usually change trucks every year if i really like the diesel it will be a keeper.I didnt come to this site to complain about my truck just wanted to find out if there was something wrong with it .THanks for the replies and hammer z71 thanks for the sarcasm!!!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:50 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You work for Chrysler and you came here to see if there is something wrong with your truck? I smell troll

Old 12-10-2010, 01:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjeep
You work for Chrysler and you came here to see if there is something wrong with your truck? I smell troll
REALLY, works for a dealer where he has access to factory certified mechanics and comes on the forum to see if there is something wrong with the truck. I gotta agree with ya' there oldjeep...

and as far as my quote there OP, there really was no sarcasm intended. The FIRST biggest thing posted in the gasser sections is "how can I get my mpgs up" and the FIRST BIGGEST thing posted in the CTD section is how the fuel economy and power in the 6.7 CTD is nowhere near what the venerable, old 5.9 was (and all the emission CELs)...

Old 12-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HEMI5150
laramie, you ole`coot, dam nice write up...!!!!!!!!! Hat`s off to ya...!!!!!
Well thank you, but you might be surprised as to how old I am. lol

Old 12-10-2010, 02:03 PM
hemiflht

Never said i worked for a dealer plus im not a mechanic.Its quite common to work for this company and still get poor service at the dealer.Sorry by no means am i trying to upset or deceive anyone on this site.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HEMI5150
hmmmmmmmmm...........
You are trading the truck in next week, but you are still doing the lift and wheels...???? I dont get it.
Oh, wait a minute, did you get one of those letters from your stealership telling you that they need hemi trucks because they are highly saught after...?

Nevermind. didn't finish reading the entire thread like I thought I did. Getting old I guess

Last edited by pdavis53; 12-10-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:21 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

There's probably nothing wrong with your current truck (until next week), the laws of physics are equal to all, but driving habits/conditions and the environment which you travel can alter your mileage.

Are you seriously dumping the gas for a diesel because of the mpg's? Good for the economy, hard on the wallet, but to each is his own.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:49 PM
hemiflht

I'm not dumping the truck because of mpg some guy made me a offer I couldn't refuse plus I got a great deal on the diesel once I've done the lift and tires on the new truck won't be getting great mpgs either.

Quick Reply: really bad gas mileage