4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ESP/BAS/ABS Error

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM
katahdin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hounddogg
Sounds like a wire issue.Got any kind of lift kit on it or? Fill out your signature so we know what you drive and such.
Good idea....until I do, it's a 2009 CrewCab 1500 Sport 4x4 Hemi. It's straight up stock. The only thing I have changed on the truck is the oil.....

Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by katahdin
So the dealership called a few hours ago and said it was a bad wheel sensor (good call guys!!) They said they didn't have the part but would get one in tomorrow. They just called back and said that they were able to fix the sensor and will not have to replace it....does this make sense? I REALLY don't want this to happen again, will just fixing instead of replacing lead to more trouble in the future? They still are going to keep it overnight to do 2 recalls on the truck.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Kat,
I think ther is a TSB for the wheel sensor connector.
If true, they will only just fix the original one on the truck.
Yes, it can happen again, if not fixed correctly the first time.
Now that ther is a work order generated, the 2nd time it quits, MoCo will tell the dealer to replace it.
Be sure you get ALL paperwork from the dealer when you pick up your truck after it is repaired. And CHECK/LOOK over the paperwork and make sure EVERYTHNG is on ther and documented correctly. Its too late to do anything after you`ve walked out the door....! Also BEFORE you drive your truck off the lot, check your truck for towing damage`s. Look for repairshop issues...greasy handprints on interior, door dings, items missing, etc etc etc

Last edited by HEMI5150; 12-14-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:27 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

I smell lawsuits in the near future...!
I cant wait for a smart lawyer to come across an incident with a repaired wheel sensor that is connected to the brake system and they didnt replace the wheel sensor, quick fixed it, (instead of replacing it for safety reasons) person gets into an accident, kills someone....wowwwwwww. I bet dodge (and all others) will demand the dealer to replace the sensor(s) and NOT let them try to fix the sensor anymore. I`ve said it for years ever since wheel sensors became part of the brake circut, NEVER try to fix the sensor, REPLACE it...! And for the smart guys that know how a sensor is made, dont waste your time writing back in here that the sensor is just a magnetic pick up coil, i already KNOW that... magnets and connectors DOOOOO go bad...! My point to this is, try telling that to the court system when you`re in the middle of a lawsuit and dead bodies in the accident need to be explained to the judge & jury. Not something you would wanna go thru. Simple fix, replace ANY faulty brake part that has ANYTHING to do with the brake circut (hydraulic or electrical) and avoid any future issues all together. The customer will be much happier knowing the truck was fixed politically correct the first time thru too.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the wheel sensor wiring is terrible on these trucks. Take a look on the routing of the wiring, it's out there hanging exposed just waiting to be snagged by anything you run over.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Charloz24

Got the same exact problem right on the new years day on my 6000km trucks. Took it to the dealer and it's indeed a bad wheel sensor.

I call this the Christmas Tree problem.......

Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 AM
TDTIPMO
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be far fetched, but with all the snow I'm assuming they use salt. Could just be a bunch of buildup or something caused it. Who knows. Good news is they're fixing it for free.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Charloz24

Originally Posted by TDTIPMO
Could be far fetched, but with all the snow I'm assuming they use salt. Could just be a bunch of buildup or something caused it. Who knows. Good news is they're fixing it for free.
Why it would not be free? I'm under waranty!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 AM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

Yeah that's my point. You're not coming out of pocket, so it's no big deal.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Charloz24

Originally Posted by TDTIPMO
Yeah that's my point. You're not coming out of pocket, so it's no big deal.
Not sure it's not a big deal, still waiting for the sensor (dealer ordered it) and by the time I have no abs and no esp. That I can live with that, but when everything blink, I kinda shake the truck when drivening ( like a stalling motor)

Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 AM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say, but if your engine is acting like it's stalling while you're driving it, I would probably stop driving it. I would be fighting with the dealer to get a rental car if you don't have another vehicle.

Quick Reply: ESP/BAS/ABS Error