4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

2010 5.7 Sparkplug Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 PM
dearymike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks thats gona help alot great gob

Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

This is proof that I will let the dealer do it.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Valdes
This is proof that I will let the dealer do it.
Why? Just smoke a lil joint and it'll be F*** all.

I just did mine today and at first it seemed a lil complicated but once you start it's actually quite easy. Took me 3 hours from start to finish taking my time properly gapping each plug, putting anti-seize and cleaning the coil packs and what not. I was able to drop each plug gently with one finger, i tried to do the hose trick but the hose i had was too big.

Thanks merv just saved a couple hundred buck$

Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 PM
InterpunX
Captain

Originally Posted by gr8rows
When you check the gap how tight should the gap tool feel? Tight, snug, what?
I would say semi-tight and snug. As long as you can slide the tool around. All my plugs were a lil too tight and couldn't get the .043 in there.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:30 PM
71_340
Default Spark Plug Change

I just took my 2010 Ram to the dealer and had it done. It cost me $241.00, including tire rotation, oil/filter change and the usual multi point check-up; all parts were included in that price.

I have mine always serviced at the Dodge dealer for the following reasons:

1. Absolutely no questions should I need warranty work.
2. Really not that expensive, not worth the trouble doing it yourself.
3. No mess in my garage, no oil or filter to dispose off.

I am a diesel mechanic and it is just not worth it to me to do it myself. Just my two cents.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by 71_340
I just took my 2010 Ram to the dealer and had it done. It cost me $241.00, including tire rotation, oil/filter change and the usual multi point check-up; all parts were included in that price.

I am a diesel mechanic and it is just not worth it to me to do it myself. Just my two cents.
I have noticed if you go to the dealer for regular service they are more apt to give you better service. This vehicle I didn't buy at the dealer I go to but they don't care and I bring my own oil and filter since I go synthetic and they want over 100 including oil etc. I can get oil and filter for 30 bucks full Valvoline synthetic or Penzoil with K&N filter with 14 rebate because I buy 2 since I need 7 quarts deal covers 5. I have 3 quarts and a filter left.I look for a sale on syn without filter.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 71_340

Well, you got a great deal for $241 with the oil change. Did you have some kind of discount coupon? I got quotes from 2 dealers out here in California and my dealer wanted $315 for the plug change and the other dealer wanted $350. So I paid around $70 tax inc for the 16 plugs and spent 2 hours on the job. After seeing the condition of the old plugs and reading others comments here, I think I'll leave the plugs in for about 40-50k miles next time. For your price I probably would have let the dealer do it too.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 AM
OCDPLR
Rookie
Default Thanks

Thanks for this write up. When I first looked at doing the job I thought the dealer can do it, they must have a special tool to get into the tight spots. When the dealer told me their price I said no way and googled how to do it and found this. I replaced my plugs today and it went surprizingly smooth following your procedure. The only thing I did differently is I used the spark plug socket to put the new ones in and it worked great, nicely centred the plugs in the holes when I dropped them in.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 PM
gr8rows
Professional

I took my pontiac g6 to the local dodge dealer to get the oil changed, then it started leaking oil all over the place. I thought maybe they didn't tighten the filter enough, so I told my wife to take it back in. They told her that her "oil pan gasket was leaking" it would cost "$300" to fix. I took a look at it noticed the problem was not the oil pan but a problem they actually caused by over tightening the oil filter! They actually screwed the gasket up between the oil filter housing and the block. I bought the gasket for $16 and fixed it myself, with a few scraped nuckles and about an hour. My point is just because it seems like a reasonable price to have strangers work on your baby doesn't mean that it will always pay off in the end. I turn all my own wrenches, (except for oil changes, which now I am considering). Between all the brake jobs, spark plugs, shocks, ball joints, mods I figure I save thousands a year and I have the peace of mind knowing that it gets done right. Parts are realatively cheap from your local auto parts store. I just broke out my tail light, $60 at carquest. How much do you think Dodge would charge me for the part + install.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:55 AM
wobly
Amateur

I did this job over the weekend and installed the Autolite XP5325's. It took me longer than it should have with the neighbors wandering over to ask what I was doing and then hanging around. It cost me $111 for the plugs and there is currently a $2 per plug rebate from Autolite. (check their website) It isn't a hard job, but getting the plugs out by the brake booster isn't the most pleasant thing to do. I will have the scratches on my arms for a few more days.
The XP5325 plugs are working quite well. I have a smoother idle and my mileage has gone up a little. But, I can't say that all the improvement can be attributed to the plugs. While I had the plastic engine cover off for the first time, during the reassembly, I noticed the two metal lines connecting near the throttle body were disconnected and there was a small amount of oil in the crevices of the plastic intake. I don't know that anybody at any of the work that has been done to the truck has ever removed the cover, so it "could" be an error from the factory. All I know is the truck runs smoother and the transmission shifts more quickly.

Quick Reply: 2010 5.7 Sparkplug Change