4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Dodge Ram 1500 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

2010 3rd Brake Light Leaking...???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 3rd Brake Light Leaking...???

3rd Brake Light Leaking on my 2010 Hemi QC 4X4...!!!!!!!
I thought the 2009 was the only one with this problem,
appears not to be true, my 2010 ruined the headliner and leather seats stained from leaking 3rd brakelight.
Anybody else have this happening to their 2010 trucks...???

Dealer says they`ll send pics to chrysler and wait for decision
One of two options they`ll give me, they replace it all, or just wash the headliner.
If chrysler tells the dealer just to wash it, that ain`t gonna happen, i`ll wash it myself.
They`ll never fix it right, then they`ll ruin all the body plugs re-installing it,
then i`ll develop all kinds of rattle issues....NO THANKS CHRYSLER...!

I took the brakelight lense out to replace the blown bulb, (water blew the bulb) what a cheap POS of a design...!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is going to be a re-accuring leak, the design of the gasket tells me so.
You guys might want to check yours and see if its leaked or leaking.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:05 AM
Der Dummkopf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mind if I ask what region you live in? Is it always raining?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:04 AM
jram99
Veteran

I had this problem in my 09. It had never leaked for over a year so I thought I was spared this problem, but then one day it rained hard for about 20 minutes. Later that afternoon when the sun was out and the wind blowing pretty good I went to get something out of the back seat and found water sitting on the seat. The cloth was wet and the headliner was wet. I knew right way where it came from. I rolled all the windows down and left it there with the wind blowing throught it. Dried it out really nice and no musty smell or stains. I then took the brake light cover off and used some black 100% silicon caulk to make a better gasket. I just put a bead around the opening and set the brake light into it and without moving it around put the screws back in. I also found a small hole at the back of the Sirius antenea so I put a small bead of silicone around that as well. After letting the silicone set up for about 5 minutes I cleaned up the excess and wiiped the lense down and have not have any further problems since. I know I will have to deal with the caulk when/if a bulb fails but the good thing about using household silicone vs gasket maker is that you can usually peal the household caulk off the metal in one pc. I'm like you, just don't trust the dealer to take their time and do it right the first time and didn't want to risk ruining the headliner. Jeff.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Interesting as 2nd Gens third brake lights leaked on every year model. Under warranty replaced third brake light and if headliner discolored replaced them. Handled tons of them. Sealed a lot out of warranty ones with clear silicone. Never had to get no approval to replace a headliner under warranty or take any photos. It was/is a known issue. I would have thought they had that issue corrected by now.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:54 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Der Dummkopf
Do you mind if I ask what region you live in? Is it always raining?
I live in the northeast (PA)
We`ve had alotta rain too

Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by jram99
I had this problem in my 09. It had never leaked for over a year so I thought I was spared this problem, but then one day it rained hard for about 20 minutes. Later that afternoon when the sun was out and the wind blowing pretty good I went to get something out of the back seat and found water sitting on the seat. The cloth was wet and the headliner was wet. I knew right way where it came from. I rolled all the windows down and left it there with the wind blowing throught it. Dried it out really nice and no musty smell or stains. I then took the brake light cover off and used some black 100% silicon caulk to make a better gasket. I just put a bead around the opening and set the brake light into it and without moving it around put the screws back in. I also found a small hole at the back of the Sirius antenea so I put a small bead of silicone around that as well. After letting the silicone set up for about 5 minutes I cleaned up the excess and wiiped the lense down and have not have any further problems since. I know I will have to deal with the caulk when/if a bulb fails but the good thing about using household silicone vs gasket maker is that you can usually peal the household caulk off the metal in one pc. I'm like you, just don't trust the dealer to take their time and do it right the first time and didn't want to risk ruining the headliner. Jeff.
Hi Jeff, i agree with you 100%, i think i would be MUCH better off doing the same thing you did to fix mine that same way.
Ther is no way in hell i`ll ever let them pull that headliner out, i will live with the stains before i`ll let THEM touch my truck. Stains dont rattle, but "tamperd with" headliners do.

Last edited by LU229; 06-16-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by hounddogg
Interesting as 2nd Gens third brake lights leaked on every year model. Under warranty replaced third brake light and if headliner discolored replaced them. Handled tons of them. Sealed a lot out of warranty ones with clear silicone. Never had to get no approval to replace a headliner under warranty or take any photos. It was/is a known issue. I would have thought they had that issue corrected by now.
Dealer told me that chrysler will most likely tell them to pull the headliner out, wash it, put it back in, then replace the 3rd BK/LT gasket. (chrysler is cheaping out...!!! Band-aid repairs should be banned...!!!!)
I will end up with a sh_t job done and the way they want to fix the leak is, by putting the same dam gasket style back into the truck. That is not fixing it the right way, thats just a band-aid fix just to get me past my warranty period, then i will have to pay for firther repairs on my own and it ISNT my design flaw, its their...!!! Dealership also told me, "oh wow, thats the first 2010 we`ve seen do that, only the 09`s did that and i was sure they had that issue solved" I say thats totally B_LLSH_T, especially when 09 an 10 trucks use the same dam 3rd brakelight housing and gasket, so how could it have been fixed on the 2010 trucks.

I see NO valid point in taking the headliner out to wash it, as THAT can be done without removing it.
A guy i talked to today said he used oxyclean, took the stains right out of his headliner, then he sealed up the 3rd brklight with silicone. I may just do that anyway, but i will wait to see what they decide to do. If they want to pull it, i`ll tell them i will get back to them and then try washing it myself first. If the stains dont come out, then i figure somethin else out like semi-remove the headliner FOR THEM, and lightly fasten the new one back up in there and i`ll finish the install myself when i get back home with it. I just dont trust them to do the job "I" would do. They`ll hack it up and say ther you go buddie.

Anyhow, i`d sure like to hear from some other 2010 owners and see if ther`s a trend here, because i DONT believe the 09 trucks are the only ones leaking. Maybe they`ve resolved the issue on the 2011 trucks, and i sure hope so, for you guys with 11 trucks, because THIS is really embarassing when people look at my truck and see wet seats when it rains and not to mention, water stained leather seats and headliner. Its not everyday you buy a $40,000+ loaded truck, we like to keep them nice and as long as we can. (well, some of us do anyway...lol.)

Hey thanks a bunch guys, for the chiming in and commenting

Last edited by LU229; 06-16-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Never heard the term 'washing it'. Never tried to really clean one up. I saw many stained and we replaced. I saw many that the glue had bleed through. Replaced them. My own 1998 1500 back then the adhesive had bleed through. I had a new headliner put in. If the 'right' tech does the replace its a not hard somewhat quick install. Years later that same 1500 truck I found water in the storage trays behind the seat. Headliner was not wet? Go figure. I knew what it was. Pulled third brake light,cleaned the area and rubber gasket. Used a thin film of clear silicone and bolted it back in. Fixed.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 AM
72combo
Champion

Does not silicone cause rust, I heard this somewhere before.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Never heard that. I've used it on many many things over the years car releated.

Quick Reply: 2010 3rd Brake Light Leaking...???