4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bedliner/Hitch Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011 | 07:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I keep my ball receiver in my toolbox on the truck and in the plastic box that used to hold the CD Changer in the Grand Cherokee, both in heavy zip lock bags. I keep grease on the ball and if I left them in the receiver when not in use, they will be dirt, dust and crud magnets.

Although one reason I have the dual receiver in the rear of the Jeep is because it's my daily driver and it'll f*ck up someone's front end pretty good while protecting the bumper of the Grand Cherokee...

Name:  0914011804.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  61.7 KB

Old 09-21-2011 | 07:45 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Yea it will f*ck some ones leg up pretty good also . Like your wife or kids. Worse yet a old man like me then you get a huge dent or two kicked in the side of your truck. I won't leave a note either.

Old 09-21-2011 | 07:47 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by hounddogg
Yea it will f*ck some ones leg up pretty good also . Like your wife or kids. Worse yet a old man like me then you get a huge dent or two kicked in the side of your truck. I won't leave a note either.
Seriously? Doesn't stick out any further than my big aluminum hitch. You're going to blame the owner of the truck because you trip on thier hitch?

Old 09-21-2011 | 07:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah, with the tow hook removed, it doesn't stick out as far as the ball receiver I carry inside the jeep.

Hell 'hound, you should have seen the thing when I bought it! It was an extension as well as a 2 to 1 receiver.
I whacked a nice knot in my shin getting my golf clubs out the back one day. That was all it took. Next moring I cut off the 2" tube that fits in the hitch, cut 7 1/2" of the 2 1/4" receiver part off that bottom tube to where it would clear the bumper by 1/2" and welded the 2" tube back on.
It used to be WAY out there!!!

You may actually get your chance to whack your leg on the thing. I lived in Lincolnton for 5 years in the early-mid '90s, and have a camping lot about 20 miles outside of Clayton I go to about 4-5 times a year. Travel up 441, not far from the little fly spec on the map called Ila, I believe, LOL. Just remember before commencing to put a dent in it, I'm a former LEO and I open carry in Georgia. LMAO...

I actually originally bought it so I could put my hitch mounted bike carrier on and still be able to tow. It's pretty beefy too, the lower, straight hitch is 8k rated and the top one is 4k rated, although the most I'll do with the top is carry my mountain bike or maybe mount my surf fishing rig on the rear instead of the front possibly.

This thing, with maybe 75 lbs. of cooler, gear and bait bucket is about the most I'll ever put on that top receiver:

Name:  0916011137.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  71.4 KB

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-21-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2011 | 08:00 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

In parking lots going between park cars and such. You bet. Lots of people hit those. Wait until it gets your wife in the garage or such in the dark or a kid. Short hitches are one thing. That is not a short hitch. I have busted MY leg on my OWN hitch that was about that long. Now if in church you find your truck side kicked in and after sermon you see a gal limping with a torn hose at her knee and a greasy spot you'll know.

Last edited by hounddogg; 09-21-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2011 | 08:06 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Your going to get mad bc you walked into someone elses hitch... Watch where your walking. In today's society majority of people r on there phone walking through parking lots. You walk into my hitch on your phone, that's your fault.

Hell, I've seen people walk n trip over curbs bc there to busy texting, reading Facebook from there phone...I'm just say'n rather someone f*ck up there car then my bumper as well as the dual exhaust piping..

Originally Posted by hounddogg

Old 09-22-2011 | 08:08 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Wait until your in a hurry or thinking about something else and you bust your leg on your own hitch. Of course you won't tell any one. But then you won't think its so darn funny either.

Old 09-22-2011 | 12:25 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Well I have hot my knee n chin on it before due to plain stupidity on my part lol. I wasn't watching where I was walking.

But the point of having mine in is to protect my bumper bc there's to many people on the road with a drivers liscense that should NOT be...

Old 09-22-2011 | 12:40 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

If hit at anything over a slow roll it will still damage your bumper. If any faster you take a good chance on frame damage. Either way in my mind its not a good enough reason too have a hitch sticking out. Lots of people have busted their leg,ruined a pair of nice pants on hitches sticking out. As I stated,if not hitching up on a regular basis I remove mine. Plus if you don't lock it, someone will steal it.

Old 09-22-2011 | 02:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Well listen, my deal on the back of my Jeep sticks out just a shade over 9" as pictured and I've since replaced the tow hook with a shackle that has it down to 7 1/2" - NOBODY needs to have their a$$ 7 1/2" from the back of my Jeep cause that would tell me they are pure out up to no good!!! If I see someone snooping around the back of either of my vehicles that close - trust me, that hitch is the least of their worries!

And if I whack my shinbone on the thing, I'll chalk it up to my own stupidity...

Quick Reply: Bedliner/Hitch Cover Question