4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bedliner/Hitch Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011 | 10:36 AM
shlotz
|
Default Bedliner/Hitch Cover Question

I just bought a new 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT last week. I want to put a bed liner in it and am looking for recommendations on a afforable quality bed liner. The dealer told me that the MOPAR bed liner that the dealership would install was $350+, and that I'm better off going with an aftermarket as they are much cheaper. Anyone here gone down that route? Secondly, has anyone here purchased an LED hitch cover like the one seen in this link? http://www.hitchcovers.net/product.php?id=59478
Just wondering how it looks when installed on an '11. Pics would be great if anyone has got them.

Thanks

Old 09-21-2011 | 10:42 AM
oldjeep
Champion

If you want a full bedliner, I'd go with a spray in like Line-X. The plastic bedliners are junk for the most part. I personally prefer a rubber bed mat (I've got the mopar one). Protects the bottom of the bed well, but is also easy to clean up

Old 09-21-2011 | 12:05 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

If you search on here you'll see debates about rhino/line-x bedliners mine is rhino lined and I love it. Depends on what you want. Like stated above plastic bed liners are junk not worth the $$.

As for hitch covers I haven't seen a ram with a hitch cover like you posted, I personally keep my hitch in since I do pull often but even when I'm not when that person texting as they pull up to a light decides to give me a love tap it ruins there bumper not mine....happened to in my old truck twice.

IMAG0391 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

Old 09-21-2011 | 12:58 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

Bed liner and hitch cover---

Attached Thumbnails Bedliner/Hitch Cover Question-p7300064-small-.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011 | 02:29 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Your hitch cover is hilarious..
Originally Posted by Pull Ya
Bed liner and hitch cover---

Old 09-21-2011 | 03:08 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

I got it especially for my furd friends---LOL
Jay

Old 09-21-2011 | 03:26 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I haven't used a bed liner in years, not since I had one in my '98 2nd Gen Ram. I do the BedRug thing now. Too many fishing rods snapped, reels broken and other mishaps caused by trolling motor batteries, motors, anchors, etc. slamming into ****! Thing don't move unless you pretty much lock up the brakes on a BedRug, plus it's padded to protect things and impervious to anything I've thrown at it yet. And the padding is a LOT better on 40-something year old knees!!!

As far as that LED Brake-Light, I have that exact one, the ex-wife gave it to me as a Christmas "stocking stuffer" one year while we were still hitched. I don't think I have any pics of it (at least lit), but will look. Do you really need to see what a hitch light would look like before deciding to buy it for a lousy $20? You can kinda look at it and know what it'll look like stuck in a receiver, with just a modicum of imagination, I'd think...

Here, best I got. My truck is a 3rd Gen, but you'll get the idea:

Name:  101_0021.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  100.0 KB

Even though I didn't buy the one on my truck myself, I did like the idea of using a brake light as a "stopper" for the receiver so crud don't get up in it and have since bought one for my Grand Cherokee, but not a "JEEP" logo one, just a generic:

Name:  0914011804a.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  57.4 KB

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-21-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2011 | 05:03 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

"As for hitch covers I haven't seen a ram with a hitch cover like you posted, I personally keep my hitch in since I do pull often but even when I'm not when that person texting as they pull up to a light decides to give me a love tap it ruins there bumper not mine....happened to in my old truck twice"

So...This is sooooo true. I came to a stop light one night and this Bitch came up and rear ended me. My hitch was in so it went right through her Saab 9000 bumper. Not a thing happened to my truck. I felt bad for her. Traded numbers. I called her the next day to see how she was. Been with her for over 17 years now....BTW...Married that Bitch too. Love of my life......No lie!

Old 09-21-2011 | 05:36 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Well that's one way of finding the love of your life lol...

sadly I got rammed by an old man at the stop light the first time didnt want his number, second time was a girl in the drive thru texting so it was a love tap but still knocked up her civic...i had just a single ball hitch in the first two times, if they hit my new hitch n damage will be done.

Originally Posted by RAMULAK
"As for hitch covers I haven't seen a ram with a hitch cover like you posted, I personally keep my hitch in since I do pull often but even when I'm not when that person texting as they pull up to a light decides to give me a love tap it ruins there bumper not mine....happened to in my old truck twice"

So...This is sooooo true. I came to a stop light one night and this Bitch came up and rear ended me. My hitch was in so it went right through her Saab 9000 bumper. Not a thing happened to my truck. I felt bad for her. Traded numbers. I called her the next day to see how she was. Been with her for over 17 years now....BTW...Married that Bitch too. Love of my life......No lie!

Old 09-21-2011 | 07:07 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

I LIKE bed liners. Have had them for years in three different trucks. I use tonneau covers. I like for stuff to slide on the bed liner. I have a steel yard rake I've carried since 1982 in trunks with bed liners and tonneau covers. Its to PUSH stuff to the rear such as luggage,bags of garbage,dog and horse feed etc. With tonneau cover on. Then I use the rake too PULL the items forward. Can't do that with a rug, or lineX and such. I thought with thkis new truck I'd use a bed maft. Well just darn. Stuff won't slide. Took it out and cut it up and used it in my dog runs. Now for the best part of all. The BEDLINER in my 2009 Dodge was a BRAND NEW factory liner for FREE. I called the LINE X dealer in the big town near me. Even in a bad economy he has some bed liners behind his shop he took out of mainly NEW trucks to do spray in liners. He said only a few but come look. Well my lucky day. A BRAND NEW factory liner with tailgate piece lining behind his shop that was the CORRECT ONE for my truck. The line X owner even came out and installed the tailgate piece for me. I told him I would send any business I could his way. He had 6 new Ford liners and 1 long bed GM". He said dealer and truck owners rarely wanted them back and he gave them away. I gave him $20 bucks for helping to install and just cause. Also as your buying the truck wheel and deal on one. Dealers were in the past tossing them in trucks left and right for free. It wasn't until this new economy that they started wanting $350 for one. So call and ask these spray in dealers if they have any 'take out liners'. I have kept bed liners in twgo different trucks 10 plus years each. Some paint rub but no lbig deal in my bkook. I do pull the liner yearly and wash the bed out and reinstall.

Last edited by hounddogg; 09-21-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Bedliner/Hitch Cover Question