4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will this hurt my truck??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011 | 09:42 PM
11hemi
|
Default Will this hurt my truck??

Hey guys i have a 2011 1500 outdoorsman with a single exhaust pipe i couldnt stand the stock exhaust anymore so i took the tailpipe and resonator off just by removing the clamps and leaving the rest of the exhisting pipe which ends bout at the end of the cab(4 door) i was hoping to leave it like this till i get some money for some exhaust but its been a tight year but ive been told by a few people that doing this i just lost my backpressure and there is a possibility of dropping a valve or burning up the cats or further engine damage. Is this true? But i do notice a strong smell that comes from the exhaust when i get into the higher rpm's. My town is nothing but hills so im into the higher ranges alot to keep a constant speed. Hopefully you guys can clear this up for me cause i love the sound but if i gotta i suppose ill put the stock exhaust back on till i got some extra cash. Thanks in advanced guys!!

Old 09-24-2011 | 10:06 PM
RAMULAK
Captain
Old 09-25-2011 | 01:15 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RAMULAK
I fail to see how this is helping him.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance. I am sure someone with a little more mechanical knowledge will help you out.

Old 09-25-2011 | 01:59 AM
Nate769
All Star

Instinct wants to yes, but technology says no.
Lots of guys I used to know did exactly what you did on their 90-2000s GM 350s, all for the sound. Little did they know they would be putting a new motor in.

If you know how backpressure on motors work good on you. If you don't I would advice googleing it to find out exactly. Long story short, you need to keep those exhaust gases moving so that you don't keep those burned gases in the cylinder. Easiest way? Keep the gasses hot so it stays moving. Best way, long pipe that stays relatively warm.

Anyways, why I want to say instinct says yes, is because I have a relatively good idea on how backpressure works. But why I say that technology says it should not hurt your motor, is because EVERYTHING on these new vehicles are electronically controlled.

I'm sure if the motor recognizes the fact that there is not enough oxygen in the cylinders it will pull more in, technically "forcing" the exhaust gases out, not relying on natural movement. Either way, yes its going to put some strain on something. I would search it up for yourself to get a WAY better picture. However if a new exhaust is in the NEAR future, I wouldn't worry about it. Either way your motor is going to alert you if something is happening. JMO

Old 09-25-2011 | 02:08 AM
Nate769
All Star

shall I add that you have not cut away your whole exhaust, these guys I know did. Cut 2 feet from the headers. You still have some backpressure, maybe that's why you are not receiving any codes. However everything is engineered to be perfect, you have altered it, so im sure you are changing some variables. But nothing that your truck cant perfect.

BUT!....The other thing that just came to mind is carbon monoxide. Your truck is at an increased risk of getting carbon monoxide poisoning because your exhaust stops at the cab. If you do any kind of sitting in one spot with the vehicle running, I would advice putting the exhaust back on.

Old 09-25-2011 | 09:40 AM
gopackgo69
Rookie

You are not hurting anything with your set up, I would recommend buying a turndown, cost about $5-10 at the pepboys or autozone. This would direct the hot gases towards the ground, not what ever it is pointing to under there.

Old 09-25-2011 | 09:52 AM
oldjeep
Champion

1) Very nice brand new truck - check
2) Hack up the exhaust because it doesn't sound cool - check
3) Can't afford to do hack up correctly - check (see #1)

Put the stock exhaust back on it if you can't even afford a new tailpipe. You're not going to have any back pressure issues, its just a hillbilly thing to do to a very nice truck.

Old 09-25-2011 | 10:15 AM
WNDERR
Veteran

Like Old Jeep says, restore it to OEM condition.

A turndown will not get the exhaust gasses away from the cab. You really need to plumb it back to where it belongs.

Put the old pipes back on until you can afford to do it correctly.

Old 09-25-2011 | 10:18 AM
CUHEMI10
Amateur

Originally Posted by WNDERR
Like Old Jeep says, restore it to OEM condition.

A turndown will not get the exhaust gasses away from the cab. You really need to plumb it back to where it belongs.

Put the old pipes back on until you can afford to do it correctly.

Beat me to the punch...................... If its not worth doing right, it's not worth doing. Why risk it?

Old 09-25-2011 | 10:48 AM
11hemi
|

ok thanks guys ill throw it back on today but im hoping maybe in a week or two i could buy an exhaust. Due to some family issues this year money has been tight. Id like to do a it cats back with 45's behind the tires maybe u guys have a few suggestions on where to buy or what brand is best? Id like to go with out a muffler. My biggest thing i wondered about was if the backpressure wasnt enough at the point i have it now how would a few feet of pipe help that much expecially without a muffler? So i wondered if i should even leave it stock anyways and leave it to be safe? reason i got this truck is something to be reliable to get to work and just make it look nice and my diesels to pull and drag race with. Thats what im into more. Im sorry if this was in idiot question but i dont know much about gas trucks. Id appriciate it if you guys gave me a few good sites to check into and thanks for the help guys!!!

Quick Reply: Will this hurt my truck??