4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey there Dodge, you's ah lissen ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:48 PM
john x 2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey there Dodge, you's ah lissen ???

I traded in a '01 Chevy 3/4 t. for this '12 Dodge. Now my Chevy came with a regular transmission temp. gage, which while towing for any distance it was worth while to keep a checking on. A neat and a standard feature for the 3/4 !! When I first test drove the new Dodge's and was showing the EVIC system, he showed me all it could do, threw the every more things that these computers are able to preform on these Dodge trucks, and low and behold one of the things Dodge did,, its does display the transmission temp. I was impressed, GOOD, and since the sales man started out showing me the max. of four different displays one over the other displayed there I was sold on the idea that I could program into the display that a gage showed me for all of these years in my Chevy when I was towing, the temp. when I needed it

Well sure enough I can,,,,,,, but, if I do this it's the solitary display that comes up and covers the whole *blank* screen. HEY THERE DODGE you have been around making truck now for a while. In your engineering dept. why in the world did you design into this great EVIC information display such an important feature, but if I choose to view it in doing so I exclude every thing else ????? Why not make it a just one of my/the choices, when it becomes necessary for me to do so.

Last edited by john x 2; 09-02-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

It is probably. What your use to , my 09 is like you have to toggle through the read outs
I toggle mine on the sterring wheel , I like it .

2009. Turned 162,000 miles. Replaced the thermostat
Yea I like it

Old 09-04-2012, 12:04 PM
john x 2

Hi capsfloyd,

I will agree with you are far as whats good for one may be different for another. But hey Lets talk this over,,,, I would assume that the one reason you own a truck its its ability to Carry a load and or to tow . Now with these gas engines they by their design develops there peak, at ar very near their highest RPM. As that engine is churning at or near these galloping horses, so man,,,, is that tranny churning away, to get all that power to the rear wheels. Now any temp starting around 200-210 is the top of where if that temp or higher held for any length of time that tranny starts it down hill spiral. One important item to do it to make sure that the front of the fins on that radiator is as clear as possible, helps the engine temp down also, and keeps the tranny temp. down. New and fresh oil/chemicals in the tranny & engine. All of this can be observed by getting use to where that gage is located on that dial, towing or just free wheeling. If any thing up front or under that floor is askew, those dials will start to tell ya ahead of time. Just get use to where they like to be.

Now what you are saying that ,,,,you,,,, enjoy to toggle between the options on your EVIC while hitting 65-70 down the road with a load in the bed and also a load trailing behind to find your tranny's temp. Then to go threw all of that again to back up to the important info. that you set in there before. Fliping with those little buttons on the wheel while looking down at your EVIC . Then all over again, all the while covering 88 feet per second at 65 MPH, 102 feet per at 70 mph. Man, I sure would hope that these 18 wheelers with tons pushing then down that road behind me, don't have the same idea of this as a choice.

Now really,,,,would it be a whole lot safer and simpler for Chrysler to have given you the options to have this PARTICULAR gage there with the other four, in digital if thats what they want, there at the ready to just be able to glance down and see along with all of the other info that that EVIC can tell ya. NOT excluding all of the others !!!!!!! After all you are trying to keep that truck with in its limits to last a long time, for you and also after all for the Dodge's warranty dept. also.

Last edited by john x 2; 09-04-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand the big deal here either. I have the analog engine temp gauge, the analog oil pressure gauge, analog RPMs, analog MPH, and analog fuel gauge. Monitoring the trans temp on the EVIC is not a big deal to me. With all of the fore-mentioned gauges available, I don't lack for information when I'm driving or towing.

What other additional information would you like to monitor?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 PM
john x 2

Now this really surprises me,
Lets set up a scenario,
When your towing,,,,ok, lets say a small climb threw the Smokey's pulling a RV same where between 5-6000 lbs. No real tall altitude & thin air like the Rockies, but some high rpm's never the less. Sometime before then you reach these steeper climb into these mountains you will come up to some 5-6% or more grades in the foothills.

You would think that even with a new or newer truck that the trans. temp would be of any concern, well it still is. Mistakes are still made on the road as well as in assemblies So my question, on your EVIC do you leave your digital tranny tem gage on and leave it that away, that covers whole screen this whole time? What about the other info that Dodge has to offer, that you want to keep informed about , that you programed into the EVIC in the smaller hills ? Have you ever had a seperate, to it self, a trans. temp gage there in the dashs cluster ?

Probably a hash over, but my thinking on your thinking later.

Last edited by john x 2; 09-04-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have towed over the mountains in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, California, Nevada, Wyoming, etc. I always set my EVIC to monitor my trans temp when towing and if I see it climbing I lock out the top gears and try to make the torque convertor lock up. I have never lacked for any additional information while driving than what is provided by the analog gauges and the trans temp on the EVIC. My truck is a 2009 so maybe yours has a different display but besides MPGs, the evic basically mimics the rest of the analog gauges.

My EVIC has the following parameters for monitoring (one at a time) Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Coolant Temp, Trans temp. I can monitor, Oil Pressure and the Coolant temp and the dash gauges and the Trans temp on the EVIC. What else do you need to see when you tow? You talk about programming info that Dodge has to offer, but I don't understand what that is since my 2009 is limited to what I mentioned.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 09-04-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 PM
rdculus
Veteran

I'm sure if your running outside of the normal acceptable parameters you will see a warning light (temp. Check gauges etc.) so unless theres an issue theres really no need to constantly monitor gauges while your driving

Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional

Sounds like he's Paranoid about his tranny temp.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
john x 2

I was wrong !!!!,

Ok,,,I went out and ran threw the various options that they gave me, looking threw you'all eyes. An you & Dodge way of looking at it you all are right !!!! The choices that are eliminated, to bring uo and show the trans. temp., are not that importain at this time. All of this I can check on on the other side of the mountains. The system perameters will remain the same. I have the same info. gage wise in this Dodge as my '01 Chevy had, but less the 14 point of the other info shown at the samwe time in the information window, in the Gm's truck of that year, that I was use to in 11 year of owner ship.
I can see the trees now that I backed away from the tree's trunk.
Paranoid a form of Paranoia:

Psychiatry . a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.
2. baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others.

Down on GM's,
There is just a differents in opinions on a number of lines of thinking,,,,Reminds me of what a very good long and trusted friend has said to me more that once. Why spend twice as much to use this Mobil 1, when they make so many many brands of dino oils that will do your engine just great. Your over reacting,,, when you reach over 150,000 on these oils,,,, the rest is made to fall apart by then anyways, and then it's just junk on four wheels, so who cares.

Last edited by john x 2; 09-05-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

I toggle through mine every day. Towng.backing with a trailer etc. Works fine in my book.

Quick Reply: Hey there Dodge, you's ah lissen ???