4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil change interval?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012 | 12:53 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Which/what engine sludges? The 4.7? It was known to get some buildup at the top of the valve cover where oil is put in. Explain? I have not heard or read about sluge issues on late models or Hemis

Old 06-14-2012 | 05:14 PM
huntergreen
Professional

hound dog, the earlier 4.7 engines were know to sludge up with infrequent oil changes or use of dino oil and extended oil change intervals. extended meaning following the manuel. have been changing wifes oil in her grand cherokee with the 4.7 with m1 every 5000 miles since new. still going strong with 160000 miles on it. check out some grand cherokee forums and you can read all about the sludge issues.

Old 06-14-2012 | 05:24 PM
huntergreen
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Oil change intervals have been increased from the age of 3kmi to 5-6kmi for EPA ONLY!!!
The governement pushed for cleaner vehicles and least amount of pullution. Extending the oil is one of them.

Also, MANY think that newer oils are better than just 15yrs ago. WRONGO. Oil companies have begun to put SOOOOO many additives in the oil to the point it's actually bad for the oil. The newer oils also have far less Phosphorus/Zinc additive in them because they are mandated by EPA to obide by oil ratings. That is the main ingerdient to reduce friction and wear on moving metal objects, BUT, since it's known to clog up catalytic converters to a degree, they have reduced that amount in oils by over half in the last 15yrs!
If you buy Race oils, they are "offroad" use and have proper levels of Zinc in them to protect against wear. What I do is buy Engine Break in additive by Lucas and pour in a small amount with each oil change to bring back up the levels.

One more thing. These "Fuel Saver" oils are the worse for engine wear. They have even less zinc additive in them causing more friction on metal-metal components and have many more additives that break down the function of the oil.

So, just because your vehicle says 6kmi betwen oil changes, doesn't mean you should go 6kmi. Most oil filter companies say 3-5kmi for oil filter changes. Additives in the oil such as Mobil Extended can cause waxy build-up and hurt viscosity ratings the longer you drive. I never install anything that's "High Mileage" or "extended Intervals". Too many additives.

That is because the machining processes for bearings and engine components are much beter than 15yrs ago. If they changes oil more frequently and we had a higher PPM of Zinc back in the oil, there's no telling howlong these newer engines would actually last...500kmi???
wow, oils are so much better than 15 years ago. which additives cause the "waxy" build up? did they just reduce the zinc or replace what they took out with another component? changing oil more often will not up the zinc content. lots of cummins engines out there doing just fine with their oils, many over 500000 miles. in other words the sky is not falling, and it took me awhile, but the 3000 mile oil change for normal driving conditions are over. synthetics from wall mart, your choice of brand, a decent filter and your good for 6 to 7000 mile changes.

Old 06-14-2012 | 05:31 PM
huntergreen
Professional

Originally Posted by Ball
This is my first new truck in about 7 years and it has been about 14 years since I have dealt with a gasser. I also understand that oils and manufacturers have surely come a long way with newer technologies. With all that being said, I find it hard to comprehend letting the oil accumulate 8000 miles before a change.

My dealer said 3000 at the purchase but they are also in the service business and would be a bit biased.

Is the high mileage intervals the result of synthetic oils?
imho, there are many factors in extending the oci. for me the min 3 are, better add packs in the oil, better machining and metal in the engine and more oil capacity in the oil pan. some are going max intervals with dino oil without issue. now, imho, on also has to use common sense. if you are off road often, driving in dusty areas or allot of stop and go traffic, you may want to shorten your ocis.

Old 06-15-2012 | 11:02 AM
mr.coon

just a warning, i waited for the change oil light to come on in my truck, and when it finally did, the oil barely touched the dip stick. never again.

Lately, i have been going 15,000 miles between oil changes. I use Bosch distance plus filters and change it out every 5000 miles. i use regular mobil 1 synthetic oil.

Old 06-15-2012 | 11:24 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Just because its got a reminder it doesn't mean not to check the oil until the light comes on.

Old 06-15-2012 | 11:43 AM
mike2810
Captain

Originally Posted by mr.coon
just a warning, i waited for the change oil light to come on in my truck, and when it finally did, the oil barely touched the dip stick. never again.

Lately, i have been going 15,000 miles between oil changes. I use Bosch distance plus filters and change it out every 5000 miles. i use regular mobil 1 synthetic oil.
You check your oil level at each gas fill up to avoid this. Some engines seem to use more oil than others.

Old 06-15-2012 | 11:53 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

I think to go 15k between oil changes I'd use Moboil 1 EXTENDED what ever. Its has a more robust additve pack for 15,000 mile drains. That and using those high end oil filters that you have been using I'd them 7500miles instead of 5,000. Then on second round which would be 15k then change oil and filter. Just a thought.

Old 06-15-2012 | 12:09 PM
mr.coon

Originally Posted by mike2810
You check your oil level at each gas fill up to avoid this. Some engines seem to use more oil than others.
well, live and learn. i don't know what kind of crap oil the dealer put in there but it sure burned it quickly. i only went about 6,500 miles on it. of course, knowing the guy delegated to do the job, he probably didn't put enough in the first place. i just never checked it.

Last edited by mr.coon; 06-15-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2012 | 12:29 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Different oil has different flash points. A number of over the counter synthetics such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum or Ultimate probably have a much higher flash point then most any dino oil. Dosen't mean that in 6500 miles the oil they put in dosen't protect while in the mileage used(6500) just a lower additive pack,hence difference in price and life/flash point etc. I buy my oil off the internet and have it shipped. Two of my vehicles has Amsoil XL 5w20. The vette gets Mobil 1 just cause its on the oil cap and I might not use Mobil again. Might use Amsoil XL 5w30. My diesels,truck and tractor get Amsoil 15w40 Diesel&Marine grade.

Last edited by hounddogg; 06-15-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil change interval?!?!?