4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012 | 10:21 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

I've seen several threads on here about people whose rear axles have locked up and snapped/dropped the driveshaft. Do some searches and you'll probably find them. I think it is usually preceded by a loud whining noise. :-)

Here is one example:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...f-on-road.html

Rob

Old 06-06-2012 | 10:34 AM
RAMULAK
Captain

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
That maybe a reason as to why they're were no available option for LSD on '09 models, or early build '10 models. A gentlemen (member) Dusty here had some good insight regarding LSD problems prior to '09, he may chime in with some input.
I have an early '09 with the limited slip diff.....
No problems with it what so ever and 50K on it now.

I don't see how "A BUNCH" of Ford guys have all see 3-4 trucks on the side or the road. A bit of an exaggeration. If it were true Both Ram and the NHTSA would be acting on it. With the rear failures we have been seeing I hope people are reporting them so that this issue gets fixed. Once it does the Ford guys will just find something else to not want to buy a Dodge for any way. I have owned Dodge Trucks since I was 16 yo. I am 53 now. Never had a truck that made me say I wold never buy another Dodge again. Because I have owned a few Chevy's and Ford trucks as well. Each has their own issues to deal with. I like the older trucks anyway. Less crap to break on an old truck compared to these new fangled electronic, tin foil paneled, plastic trucks these days.

Last edited by RAMULAK; 06-06-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2012 | 02:05 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

I have an 09 with a 3.92 LSD. I do not tow. All started with a pinion seal leak at 70k miles now and yesterday had pinion bearings, carrier bearings, pinion seal replaced. Symptom was whining on acceleration and coast down and howling between 50-70mph. It was loud.

All is good now. It was only a couple hour job at the dealer and covered under lifetime powertrain warranty.

Old 06-06-2012 | 04:09 PM
jawsdc
Veteran

Originally Posted by kddsRam
I have an 09 with a 3.92 LSD. I do not tow. All started with a pinion seal leak at 70k miles now and yesterday had pinion bearings, carrier bearings, pinion seal replaced. Symptom was whining on acceleration and coast down and howling between 50-70mph. It was loud.

All is good now. It was only a couple hour job at the dealer and covered under lifetime powertrain warranty.
i saw you on the side of the highway with your driveshaft hanging off your truck.

Old 06-06-2012 | 05:47 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Agh, maybe it was just the 3.55's that didn't have the LSD option, I know mine doesn't with the 3.55.

Originally Posted by RAMULAK
I have an early '09 with the limited slip diff.....
No problems with it what so ever and 50K on it now.

I don't see how "A BUNCH" of Ford guys have all see 3-4 trucks on the side or the road. A bit of an exaggeration. If it were true Both Ram and the NHTSA would be acting on it. With the rear failures we have been seeing I hope people are reporting them so that this issue gets fixed. Once it does the Ford guys will just find something else to not want to buy a Dodge for any way. I have owned Dodge Trucks since I was 16 yo. I am 53 now. Never had a truck that made me say I wold never buy another Dodge again. Because I have owned a few Chevy's and Ford trucks as well. Each has their own issues to deal with. I like the older trucks anyway. Less crap to break on an old truck compared to these new fangled electronic, tin foil paneled, plastic trucks these days.

Old 06-06-2012 | 06:42 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

Never heard of such a thing, "The entire rear end laying in the ditch"

Old 06-06-2012 | 06:48 PM
Tunaman
Veteran
Talking

I was a Ford man for ever. I would shake my head in amazement everytime i saw or heard of anyone buying a Ram. Even though I must admit, I never considered it a danger driving for fear of hitting a Ram with the "Entire rearend laying in the ditch. And then one eve. a few weeks ago I drove a Ram just for something to do. PROMISED the dealer I wold NEVER own a Ram. We get in, wife and I, took a drive and we both agreed, it was the most comfortable truck we have ever been in. Well, it now sits in my driveway, absolutly love the truck, although we hate the dealer. Bye, Bye Fords!!

Old 06-06-2012 | 08:10 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Never heard of such a thing, "The entire rear end laying in the ditch"

It must be true. All the Ford guys said so............LOL!

Last edited by RAMULAK; 06-06-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2012 | 03:22 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Yup Blue, low rearend fluid will do it every Tim! Ram, Ford, Chevy, any of them.

Old 06-07-2012 | 08:52 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

There was a issue with pinion nut failures. Been corrected. Rear axels built by same folks that built FORD manual transmissions for years. ZF manufacturing. I'd bet ZF who only does the 1500 axels as AAM does the 2500/3500 were real nervous about issues. Chrysler fired Dana when the quality went to heck.

Quick Reply: Ram rear end?