4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

towing help

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012 | 08:59 PM
Nate769
All Star

IMO your overloaded. As Petro Dog stated its pretty much bang on. We are again assuming a MAX trailer weight of 10,000 pounds. I have been told tongue weight could be up to 25% of the Gross Trailer Weight, but 15% is pretty average. You would be safe to say a tongue weight of 1500, but it could be more. The average rams payload capacity is around 1600lbs. Right there your already over your limit, because chances are you way more then 100 pounds.
You have too remember that payload capacity includes weight of the trailer and all cargo including passengers. So right there again your over.

To add to that, anyone who pulls a trailer now knows that these trucks sag with weight in the back. I pull a bumperpull 30' holiday trailer. The max rating on the trailer fully loaded is 7200 pounds. So take that 7200 and take 15% of that is 1080, BUT I pull with an equalizer hitch so that becomes less ( I just don't know what the values are, but you don't get that with a fifth wheel) I sag quite a bit. Granted I am never pulling that full 7200 pounds, but its no where near the 10000 yours is. So with mine sagging, yours is gonna ride on the stops...

Also these trucks are only rated up to a MAX of 9000lbs towing capacity, so saying your trailer is 10000lbs, Well again your over.

This is assuming MAX ratings, so you COULD be within your limits by time everything is done, but it will be close. Not to mention, if you ever get pulled over your gonna get nailed BIG TIME. At least here in Alberta they base it on MAX ratings, the max the trailer will be compared to the max your truck can pull, AND the max payload your truck can handle. If your over any one of those values, your caught.

I have heard of lots of ram owners being pulled over because of the rear end sagging. So automatically the highway services assume your overloaded. Only to find your within your max limits so they can't stop you...

Old 09-11-2012 | 08:43 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Most of what you offer is good info, but there are a couple things I want to comment on...

Originally Posted by Nate769
I have been told tongue weight could be up to 25% of the Gross Trailer Weight, but 15% is pretty average.
A quick Google search will show that almost everyone recommends 10% of the trailer weight as tongue weight. That's what I've always seen, heard, and used. Nothing wrong with 15% either, but I think 25% is out of the range of recommendation & safety. Too much tongue weight can be just as dangerous as too little.

To add to that, anyone who pulls a trailer now knows that these trucks sag with weight in the back. I pull a bumperpull 30' holiday trailer. The max rating on the trailer fully loaded is 7200 pounds. So take that 7200 and take 15% of that is 1080, BUT I pull with an equalizer hitch so that becomes less ( I just don't know what the values are, but you don't get that with a fifth wheel) I sag quite a bit. Granted I am never pulling that full 7200 pounds, but its no where near the 10000 yours is. So with mine sagging, yours is gonna ride on the stops...
That has not been my experience. I've pulled a skid steer loader for a short distance over quiet, dry, flat backroads where the total trailer weight was upwards of 12,000lbs. Without airbags my 1500 was still riding with a level stance and the tongue weight was adjusted correctly. So, over the towing capacity or not, a 10,000lb trailer using correct tongue weight ratio is not going to cause the RAM to ride on bump stops.

Also these trucks are only rated up to a MAX of 9000lbs towing capacity, so saying your trailer is 10000lbs, Well again your over.
Not sure if it varies by model year and you're quoting from a different one, but for the 2010 RAM 1500s there are a variety of drivetrain/body configurations with the Hemi and 3.92 axle that have max trailer weights slightly above 10,000lb. I think they did increase ratings from 2009 to 2010, so maybe that's what you were referring to.

Rob

Old 09-11-2012 | 10:57 AM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
A quick Google search will show that almost everyone recommends 10% of the trailer weight as tongue weight. That's what I've always seen, heard, and used. Nothing wrong with 15% either, but I think 25% is out of the range of recommendation & safety. Too much tongue weight can be just as dangerous as too little.

That has not been my experience. I've pulled a skid steer loader for a short distance over quiet, dry, flat backroads where the total trailer weight was upwards of 12,000lbs. Without airbags my 1500 was still riding with a level stance and the tongue weight was adjusted correctly. So, over the towing capacity or not, a 10,000lb trailer using correct tongue weight ratio is not going to cause the RAM to ride on bump stops.

Not sure if it varies by model year and you're quoting from a different one, but for the 2010 RAM 1500s there are a variety of drivetrain/body configurations with the Hemi and 3.92 axle that have max trailer weights slightly above 10,000lb. I think they did increase ratings from 2009 to 2010, so maybe that's what you were referring to.

Rob
You have to remember that this is a fifth wheel tho, the percentages are higher then with a bumper pull. More of the trailer is over the truck right? That's where the 25% could be seen, your never gonna see that much on a bumper pull, (unless you loaded it wrong) This is why I just use 15% for everything. Then I am clear and good if it be fifth wheel or bumper pull. Just preference I guess...

This is true, you can move your skid steer towards the back, or more over the wheels then the hitch, BUT in a holiday trailer you can't exactly do that. Was your trailer a bumper pull? Because I know it sags with my truck pretty bad, and my trailer was probably only around the 6000lb mark. Yes I have an EQ Hitch, and yes it is adjusted properly, and is the right rating.

I took this right from rams website, but I guess I missed one line there, My ratings are for the 3.55 not the 3.92. So he might be alright IF he has the 3.92 gears. Also IF in fact the 10000lbs he quoted is full weight or empty, As far as I have been reading we do not have a confirmation on that.

Either way I think he is pushing it, I would not do it myself, even here in flat land alberta. I know I push my truck a little bit with my holiday trailer, but that 5th wheel is substantially more. I would not be comfortable with that is all.

Not to mention again the whole highway services deal. I am waiting to get stopped for my front end in the air!

Old 09-11-2012 | 11:26 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

You have to remember that this is a fifth wheel tho, the percentages are higher then with a bumper pull. More of the trailer is over the truck right? That's where the 25% could be seen, your never gonna see that much on a bumper pull, (unless you loaded it wrong) This is why I just use 15% for everything. Then I am clear and good if it be fifth wheel or bumper pull. Just preference I guess...

This is true, you can move your skid steer towards the back, or more over the wheels then the hitch, BUT in a holiday trailer you can't exactly do that. Was your trailer a bumper pull? Because I know it sags with my truck pretty bad, and my trailer was probably only around the 6000lb mark. Yes I have an EQ Hitch, and yes it is adjusted properly, and is the right rating.

I took this right from rams website, but I guess I missed one line there, My ratings are for the 3.55 not the 3.92. So he might be alright IF he has the 3.92 gears. Also IF in fact the 10000lbs he quoted is full weight or empty, As far as I have been reading we do not have a confirmation on that.

Either way I think he is pushing it, I would not do it myself, even here in flat land alberta. I know I push my truck a little bit with my holiday trailer, but that 5th wheel is substantially more. I would not be comfortable with that is all.

Not to mention again the whole highway services deal. I am waiting to get stopped for my front end in the air!
Good point about the fifth wheel and tongue weights. I have little background in those so I'm not sure how they are typically done. I forgot he was dealing with a fifth wheel.

You're right that it would be at the top of the limit if his truck is configured for a 10K towing capacity. My point from my first post is that sometimes that might be fine, sometimes it might be too risky. All depends on the situation. Towing is something where the raw numbers really don't define the whole situation.

Rob

Old 09-12-2012 | 12:47 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

I still think all trucks are overrated to some degree. Just as boat trailers are. Just my opinion

Old 09-12-2012 | 07:16 AM
TurboGPZ
Professional

Look at it this way, your over loaded, you have an accident, the insurance company wouldn't pay because your over loaded. You lose big time. Don't go making their job easy.

Quick Reply: towing help