4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'09 1500 pinion snapped

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012 | 12:03 AM
BullyT
Professional

Originally Posted by oldjeep
FWIW - you can't reuse pinion nuts. They are use once and discard
FWIW...that is an opinion, not a fact. I looked into this, and had my original pinion nut Loctited and peened. That was 8,000 km ago. No issues, no leaks, no noises...all good. I'll report back in another 100,000 km....

Old 11-01-2012 | 08:07 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I've snapped a couple but that involved big rocks and lots of wheel spin. (In jeeps not my dodge) Was the yoke still on the outer end of the pinion when it snapped?

Pics would be nice, just open them up on your computer and reduce the size.
I heard that! I learned the hard way about welding the spiders and then getting a tire wedged between a rock and a hard place once many years ago, LOL...

What I'm having a hard time understanding is that you NEVER hear of this issue from the 3rd Gen owners, even though SUPPOSEDLY the axle/drivshaft combo through the '09s (and some early '10s) are the SAME AAM (Chrysler Corporate) 9.25 axles.

Too many reports of this issue abound to ignore the problem - so what did they do that's different for the 4th Gens??? I'd sure like to know...

Old 11-01-2012 | 08:07 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by BullyT
FWIW...that is an opinion, not a fact. I looked into this, and had my original pinion nut Loctited and peened. That was 8,000 km ago. No issues, no leaks, no noises...all good. I'll report back in another 100,000 km....
Typically pinion nuts are either the staked type or stover type and are designed for single use. Diff kits always include a new pinion nut so that they are not reused when replacing bearings - then again, some folks will reuse crush sleeves

FWIW - loctiting a pinion nut is also wrong. You can't set the torque correctly when you have smeared any kind of gunk on the threads, the torque value is a dry value.

Last edited by oldjeep; 11-01-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-01-2012 | 08:30 AM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I heard that! I learned the hard way about welding the spiders and then getting a tire wedged between a rock and a hard place once many years ago, LOL...

What I'm having a hard time understanding is that you NEVER hear of this issue from the 3rd Gen owners, even though SUPPOSEDLY the axle/drivshaft combo through the '09s (and some early '10s) are the SAME AAM (Chrysler Corporate) 9.25 axles.

Too many reports of this issue abound to ignore the problem - so what did they do that's different for the 4th Gens??? I'd sure like to know...
No pun intended but I think some of these parts are made in China no to mention are'nt some of our truck parts assemble in Mexico? I'm pretty sure I remember something about the defected tie rod ends were made in China anyway. Could just be better material on the 3'rd gens...just saying.

Old 11-01-2012 | 10:22 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
No pun intended but I think some of these parts are made in China no to mention are'nt some of our truck parts assemble in Mexico? I'm pretty sure I remember something about the defected tie rod ends were made in China anyway. Could just be better material on the 3'rd gens...just saying.

Could be - but made in china doesn't = poor quality any more than made in USA means good quality.

Old 11-01-2012 | 01:28 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
I agree with this statement. I'm a machinist by trade, and of recent watched one of our customers in China try and duplicate some of patients we design and build. Last two years they've achieved close spec tolerance, but not materials. They sell'em cheap, with extremely low production hours before catastrophic failure occurs on their hydraulic pumps. Sucks to be stupid I suppose!

Old 11-01-2012 | 05:31 PM
BullyT
Professional

Typically pinion nuts are either the staked type or stover type and are designed for single use. Diff kits always include a new pinion nut so that they are not reused when replacing bearings - then again, some folks will reuse crush sleeves

FWIW - loctiting a pinion nut is also wrong. You can't set the torque correctly when you have smeared any kind of gunk on the threads, the torque value is a dry value.
Interesting. The NHTSA and Transport Canada recalls for pinion nuts coming loose states the nuts were installed "without the proper amount of adhesive". Guess the factory doesn't know the torque value is a dry value. Driveline shop that checked my pinion nut said "nothing leaves our shop without Loctite"

Old 11-01-2012 | 06:28 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by BullyT
Interesting. The NHTSA and Transport Canada recalls for pinion nuts coming loose states the nuts were installed "without the proper amount of adhesive". Guess the factory doesn't know the torque value is a dry value. Driveline shop that checked my pinion nut said "nothing leaves our shop without Loctite"

Well, I could post up the page from the FSM that shows the proper way to do it, but I suspect that wouldn't matter since you have "heard" so much. Good luck to you.

Old 11-01-2012 | 07:46 PM
BullyT
Professional

Well, I could post up the page from the FSM that shows the proper way to do it, but I suspect that wouldn't matter since you have "heard" so much. Good luck to you.
My comments have nothing to do with hearsay or what I've "heard". Your post stated that you shouldn't use Loctite with pinion nuts. The recent recall for pinion nuts coming loose cited an incorrect amount of adhesive was used. So, there is a contradiction based on published information not hearsay. Anyway, I'm content to agree to disagree. Good luck to you as well.

Old 11-01-2012 | 08:56 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Could be - but made in china doesn't = poor quality any more than made in USA means good quality.
For each his own but I prefer the majority of parts to made in the USA...good for my truck and good for our economy.
That said, I think I remember seeing that the reason for the tie rod end and rear end failures was because there were some bad batches of parts that were made in China. Not to mention the drain plugs were drilled in the wrong location on some. I'm well aware that some of these parts on our trucks could have both good and bad parts from both countries but I still like "Made in the USA".

Quick Reply: '09 1500 pinion snapped