4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'09 1500 pinion snapped

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012 | 12:16 PM
laramie09
|
Rookie
Default '09 1500 pinion snapped

Anyone here ever see a pinion gear snap in half? 89k miles, mostly highway. I don't think I'll ever buy another Chrysler product again. I have pictures but the file size is too big to upload.

Uploaded pics and vid to photobucket:
http://s1307.photobucket.com/albums/...chaelriecke77/

Last edited by laramie09; 10-28-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added link to pics and video
Old 10-27-2012 | 01:10 PM
oldjeep
Champion

I've snapped a couple but that involved big rocks and lots of wheel spin. (In jeeps not my dodge) Was the yoke still on the outer end of the pinion when it snapped?

Pics would be nice, just open them up on your computer and reduce the size.

Old 10-27-2012 | 02:17 PM
Cmerritt84
Captain

Upload on photobucket then link it over here.

Old 10-27-2012 | 04:38 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by laramie09
Anyone here ever see a pinion gear snap in half? 89k miles, mostly highway. I don't think I'll ever buy another Chrysler product again. I have pictures but the file size is too big to upload.
I take it you're not hte original owner, if you are it's warrantied for life. Also there may have been a recall on them so check with chrysler before you give up on your truck...you never know. None the less there's been several pinion problems that I'm sure you'll find right here on this forum if you look hard enough. And maybe you'll get some postive answers to help you...good luck.

Old 10-28-2012 | 09:30 AM
laramie09
|
Rookie

http://s1307.photobucket.com/albums/...chaelriecke77/

Just set up a photobucket account and uploaded the pics and even a short video for you guys. Ya know, I could understand if I were beating on the truck, or even if I were towing my camper, which I was about to do this weekend. But my wife, who's 9 months pregnant was driving with my son in the car. It's not like she was doing neutral drops.
A couple of beefs I have with Chrysler right now. They initiated a recall, a safety recall on something that causes accidents 3 or 4 weeks ago. They haven't notified anyone yet. Granted, the recall was for the nut coming loose, not the pinion actually snapping in half. And on top of that, my truck is not under the recall because of the build date. My pregnant wife and my son could have been killed had this happened 10 seconds sooner at highway speeds.
It is covered under lifetime power train. Guy at the dealer told me because its covered Chrysler roadside will tow it free. I get a tow to get her off the highway and home. Then I call roadside and they say towing is not covered. So now I have to pay another tow truck to take it to the dealer. Parts are on order and not available locally. I did however talk them into a loaner car.....a beautiful caravan. Lol

Old 10-28-2012 | 10:03 AM
RAMULAK
Captain

I have an '09 with a little over 53,000 on it as well. I just started getting a funny vibration from the rear. I am bringing it in next week for a look see.
I asked and they told me I was not in the data bank for the recall. But I have lifetime power train plus max care, so if it breaks it is a 100 mile tow to the dealer.....

Edit....I just went out and got under the truck to look at the size of the spare and I do have oil coating the gas tank right next to the diff.....

Last edited by RAMULAK; 10-28-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2012 | 01:26 PM
1954Radio
Captain

I don't know how far you are from your dealer I can't remember the distance but I'm going to guess that within 50 miles was free for me for a tranny coil pack malfunction. None the less call your dealer, mine went as far to pay for a week of rental when they didn't have to. They first time they looked at my truck I had already cleared the engine light code by setting my tune back to stock (same as a reflash) so they could only guess and couldn't take my word or opinion of needing a coil pack. They claimed it was a minor problem and fixed but I didn't even make it 15 miles from the dealer and it went out again. I had paid for the rental out of my pocket and I said 'are you sure you want me to return the rental' because I wasn't satisfied about their findings and doubted making it back home? The only reason why I knew was from seeing so many of the same issues right here on the forums. For wasting my time and a rental not to mention the rental place was closing they treated me real good put me in a Ram rental and above and beyond. Hope you get the same from your dealer...just be nice and respectful and you'll get the same right back.

Old 10-28-2012 | 11:44 PM
AZdave
Professional

Originally Posted by RAMULAK
I have an '09 with a little over 53,000 on it as well. I just started getting a funny vibration from the rear. I am bringing it in next week for a look see.
I asked and they told me I was not in the data bank for the recall. But I have lifetime power train plus max care, so if it breaks it is a 100 mile tow to the dealer.....

Edit....I just went out and got under the truck to look at the size of the spare and I do have oil coating the gas tank right next to the diff.....
Hey Ramulak, when is your date of manufacture? 2 or 4 wheel drive? 3.21, 3.55, 3.92 LSD?
Just curious...

Old 10-29-2012 | 12:01 AM
magnethead
Legend

I'd call that a defect failure. We had the pinion nut come loose on the camaro once through the top end traps, tore the gears up but everything stayed together, didn't lock up. Yours broke clean, that right there says something.

Old 10-29-2012 | 02:25 AM
RocklandRam
Amateur

Looks like a defect in the steel...never seen anything like that during normal driving conditions

Quick Reply: '09 1500 pinion snapped