4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM
jks ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member

hi all, i'm a new b to this forum and hoping to get some of my questions answered regarding my 2012 Ram 1500 ST, crew cab 5.7 Hemi.
I am missing the front overhead console which has thereading lights, etc. so I am trying to find a kit and install it. a) does anyone know where I could find this kit?, b) is there already factory pre-wiring in place? and c) and where can i find a wiring diagram? thanks a lot.

my next project, will be installing a console in the middle section which will have a movie screen.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 PM
nikkoo
Default hi

hello mate, welcome to the forum

Last edited by nikkoo; 12-06-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I'll move your post to the 4th Gen Ram section, You'll get more response from there.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM
PostalTwo
Professional

Finally installed the console in my Express. Here is a run down for all who are interested in this mod.

I decided to keep it simple and cheap with just the basic console, map lights only.

Your going to need the following parts:

Console retainer: 55365119AC

Overhead Console: 1PQ03BD1AA

3 pin connector pinout: 68064999AA

**Remember, these parts are for the basic no frills console. If you want to add options you will need different consoles.

Garage Opener ONLY Console: 1PQ06BD1AA
Garage Door and Rear Slider Console: 1PQ09BD1AA
Sorry, I don't have the part numbers for the Sunroof control.

If you want to add the Compass Module: 56046062AC

Last edited by Sideshow; 10-20-2012 at 10:44 PM.

SideshowView Public ProfileSend a private message to SideshowFind More Posts by SideshowAdd Sideshow to Your Contacts

10-20-2012, 10:05 PM #2 (permalink)

Sideshow

Ram Year: 2012 Express

Engine: Hemi

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Start by removing the A-piller covers and sun visors. This will allow you to get the headliner down enough to get the retainer in. It is secured with the sun visor clips.

You will have to remove the two small black clip brackets. The retainer bracket replaces them.

Then remove the headlight switch panel and the left side panel. These just pop out. Behind these you will see a green connector. Removing the left side panel of the dash gives you all the access you will need for the next steps.

This plug is where the overhead light wires and constant power you need. The middle bottom three pins. Middle one of the three is where you need to tap.

Black/Tan is ground

Yellow/white is overhead light (allows console to work with doors)

Yellow/Lt Blue is Map constant power (this is what you need to tap.

Just pop off the inner white retainer on the green plug and use one of the connectors with the pin-out kit and push it into the green plug. Then snap the white retainer back in.

This is how you wire the pin-out for the console.

I tapped the stock overhead light wires at the base of the A-piller for ground and door/switch power. When you take it apart you see a good spot. Same Yellow/White and Black/Tan wires.

Too many toys, not enough time.

Last edited by Sideshow; 10-20-2012 at 10:46 PM.

SideshowView Public ProfileSend a private message to SideshowFind More Posts by SideshowAdd Sideshow to Your Contacts

10-20-2012, 10:18 PM #3 (permalink)

Sideshow

Ram Year: 2012 Express

Engine: Hemi

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I made a harness and ran it up the A-piller taped along side the OH light wires and then along the inside front of the headliner. Be sure to tape it down to prevent any rattles.

Now the fun part, cutting the headliner.

I made a couple paper templates to help me judge how far to cut.

Start with a small hole in the middle and work your way out slowly

Use the templates and keep test fitting as you go. Cut just enough. (sorry no pics, I was on a roll at this point)

Run your harness through the retainer, tape it down, plug it into the console and snap it in.

I removed the outer part of the console to make sure everything was lined up and run correctly.

Bolt everything together, step back and enjoy your new lights!

stole the from another forum

Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM
PostalTwo
Professional

the pics dont work i guess but i hope it helps anyway

Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 PM
PostalTwo
Professional

Console retainer: 55365119AC

Old 11-22-2012, 02:21 AM
Dirty Ernie

I'm looking for a wiring diagram for a 2012 1500 4X4 too. I could just wing it but it would be nice to have a clue before I get into it.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, stay a while

I personally have never seen a truck without the overhead console. I guess they make em...

You probably already know this, but when installing be sure to disconnect that battery. These computers are tricky instruments, one small wrong move and you could be without a computer.
To add to that, when you are putting in your movie screen. Be sure that you don't pull directly from any switch from the dash. IMO pulling from the cigarette lighter could be potentially dangerous. BUT people have done it, and never had an issue. The reason why is again these computers are soo sensitive, if you pulled more power then the switch could take, you could end up frying something.
Solution? Well if you are any good with relays, thats what I would do. Relays pull VERY little and are perfectly safe. If you end up looking for a source of 12V ACC, just run it via relay and pull it directly off the battery.

That being said, I Would really like to see the installation and completion of that. Make sure to take pictures!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

Why are all the photo links hosed? Looks like a word filter has been put in place by moderators.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

It maybe the IB guys installed a new firewall, but that just a guess. I know there was some problem early in the week.

Quick Reply: new member