4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What the He-Haw is wrong with my 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 PM
DallasNorth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the He-Haw is wrong with my 4wd?

So I ordered a 2010 Dodge 1500 Laramie from factory almost 3 years ago. Initially the four wheel drive didn't work. First a switch was replaced, next a position sensor, third the "shifting module", lastly some "program update", since then I've been back a few times and they warm the truck up in the dealers shop clean it and it will work. They hand it back "checked OK". So frustrated and warantee will run out in a month.

So here is what happens now: It shifts into 4wd but not out unless I turn the truck on and off a few times. When it shifts in, the "4wd serv" light comes on. When it shifts out, ocassionally the front wheels are still engaged even though the dash says they're not. If I drive for 50 km's or so the 4wd will SOMETIMES start working, it will even work on the fly.

I'm going to take it to a different dealer in another city, stay overnight and be there when they try it cold in the morning. Plus my u-joint starting to shake now. Can anyone tell me if there is some known deficiency with these trucks that might cause this? Vaccume related? An update?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not familiar with 4th gens but it almost seems like it would be vacuum related with the t-case.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasNorth
So I ordered a 2010 Dodge 1500 Laramie from factory almost 3 years ago. Initially the four wheel drive didn't work. First a switch was replaced, next a position sensor, third the "shifting module", lastly some "program update", since then I've been back a few times and they warm the truck up in the dealers shop clean it and it will work. They hand it back "checked OK". So frustrated and warantee will run out in a month.

So here is what happens now: It shifts into 4wd but not out unless I turn the truck on and off a few times. When it shifts in, the "4wd serv" light comes on. When it shifts out, ocassionally the front wheels are still engaged even though the dash says they're not. If I drive for 50 km's or so the 4wd will SOMETIMES start working, it will even work on the fly.

I'm going to take it to a different dealer in another city, stay overnight and be there when they try it cold in the morning. Plus my u-joint starting to shake now. Can anyone tell me if there is some known deficiency with these trucks that might cause this? Vaccume related? An update?

DallasNorth,

Sorry to hear about your concerns. Have you spoke with the Service Manager at your current dealer to advise how you are able to duplicate the issue.

If you'd like to PM me your VIN# and the name of your servicing dealer, I'd be happy to look into this for you. Or if you'd prefer to have a second opinion and if any additional assistance is needed after feel free to contact me for review.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 AM
DallasNorth
Smile Repair solution

After visiting a different dealer, leaving the truck overnight, and trying it cold in the morning, they were able to troubleshoot the problem back to the control module under the passenger side dash.

They replaced this module the next day and for the first time since I bought the truck 3 years ago the 4wd appears to be operating as it should. Hopefully this continues over the next few days. If it does I'd say problem fixed.

P.S. 4th gen rams apparently rely on an electric solenoid actuated ram to operate. I'm told there isn't any kind of vaccum line or vent line to screw up. There's just the solenoid / ram assembly, the transfer case, control module and wiring.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

yes they are not vacume they are electronic shift control

Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 AM
DallasNorth
Unhappy Still not working

Unfortunately although the 4wd high range and 4wd auto seem to work, 4wd low range will not engage. The 4wd low light just keeps flashing. It doesn't bring in the "serv 4wd" alarm any more but also never engages. I'm taking the thing back tomorrow for work again.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
DallasNorth
Default Final Update

Thought I'd update this since I was back checking out the site. The second dealership, after a couple visits, found the control module under the passenger side dash was faulty. They replaced it and finally after 3 years and a few days before the warrantee expired my trucks 4x4 works as it should. I've owned 6 dodge trucks in my life and this is likely to be the last. I like the truck now that it works and will keep it, but I've not been impressed with the terrible mileage , service or reliability I've experienced. Nice ride just the same though.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 AM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Thought I'd update this since I was back checking out the site. The second dealership, after a couple visits, found the control module under the passenger side dash was faulty. They replaced it and finally after 3 years and a few days before the warrantee expired my trucks 4x4 works as it should. I've owned 6 dodge trucks in my life and this is likely to be the last. I like the truck now that it works and will keep it, but I've not been impressed with the terrible mileage , service or reliability I've experienced. Nice ride just the same though.
I personaly don't like all of the electronic crap on the new rams I prefer my 2nd gen made with real steel

Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately although the 4wd high range and 4wd auto seem to work, 4wd low range will not engage. The 4wd low light just keeps flashing. It doesn't bring in the "serv 4wd" alarm any more but also never engages. I'm taking the thing back tomorrow for work again.
Did you put the truck in Neutral when attempting to shift into 4Lo?

Quick Reply: What the He-Haw is wrong with my 4wd?