4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Hi and TIPM Relay Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 PM
dodge29
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi and TIPM Relay Question

Hello Everyone!

I have a 2011 crew cab Ram ST with 5.7 liter hemi. I'm trying to identify some of the fuses in the top half of the TIPM, specifically K1, K2, K3 and K4. I can see how they are labelled in the lid of the fuse cover. What I'm intersted in is how they effect the trucks starting, if they are bad, especially K3. Picture attached.

Attached Thumbnails Hi and TIPM Relay Question-image.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K's are relays, not fuses.

Explain your situation in a little more detail and I am sure you'll get some informative responses.

Is it turning over? Do the gauges light up? Are you trying to Hotwire a truck?

LoL, just explain a little more for the best help.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 AM
dodge29

Originally Posted by Owensue
K's are relays, not fuses.

Explain your situation in a little more detail and I am sure you'll get some informative responses.

Is it turning over? Do the gauges light up? Are you trying to Hotwire a truck?

LoL, just explain a little more for the best help.
The truck was having an intermittent starting issue until 1 week ago today. It had been back to the dealership 4 times with no help. One week ago today I opend the fuse box lid and found several of the grey relays that were not seated all the way.

Others have told me that there is an additional relay that is an integrated part of the TIPM itself, which is down underneath the fuse box. They did not explain the relays I am questioning and stopped responding. It seems like Chrysler might have a group out crusing these forums to run damage control. They will answer questions to a point, then they disappear. My point is that any relay tagged with a "run" as part of its name, or "start' as part of it's name, probably has something to do with starting and running the vehicle.

Also, I'd welcome any comments on the MDS system of the Hemi engines, the harmonic stress it puts on the timing chain and tensioner when the cylinders activate, and the resulting catastrophic engine failures they have been experiencing as a result of timing chain/tensioner failures. This is happening in both Challenger and Ram vehicles.

Ok how was that?

Last edited by dodge29; 04-09-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:17 PM
LVRR
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge29
Also, I'd welcome any comments on the MDS system of the Hemi engines, the harmonic stress it puts on the timing chain and tensioner when the cylinders activate, and the resulting catastrophic engine failures they have been experiencing as a result of timing chain/tensioner failures. This is happening in both Challenger and Ram vehicles.
Have heard of the timing chain problems in the Challenger but none in the Ram. No mention on 3 other forums I am associated with about the Ram and having any timing chain problems.

What's your source?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 PM
dodge29

Originally Posted by LVRR
Have heard of the timing chain problems in the Challenger but none in the Ram. No mention on 3 other forums I am associated with about the Ram and having any timing chain problems.

What's your source?
Aren't the engines nearly identical in many cases?

Other forums, but, "you can't believe everything you read on the Internet", right?

What about the relays and the intermittent start problem, no thoughts here?

What's your source?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 PM
dodge29

Time will answer this question.

Last edited by dodge29; 04-09-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 PM
dodge29

Just another Internet rumor.

Last edited by dodge29; 04-09-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Others have told me that there is an additional relay that is an integrated part of the TIPM itself, which is down underneath the fuse box. They did not explain the relays I am questioning and stopped responding.It seems like Chrysler might have a group out crusing these forums to run damage control. They will answer questions to a point, then they disappear.
To start with, if that was true (highlighted statement) the techs here that happen to be Moderators would have no part of it. Chrysler has screwed us to the wall countless times, so I can tell you that wouldn't happen. We're here for YOU not them.

Also, Mastertech and I plus a few other techs that aren't mods are available to anyone for anything at anytime through PM or email. OR, if you would like one of us to take a look at your problem in the forums and respond, just link it in PM. We don't always see every post of every thread due to the 11-12 hours/6 days we pull.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:03 PM
LVRR
Veteran

Aren't the engines nearly identical in many cases?
Nearly identical, yes, but very different also. Do some research. I do believe you will find the timing gear parts on the Ram are different from the Challenger.

Other forums, but, "you can't believe everything you read on the Internet", right?
I would think with 4 different forums there would be a high percentage of belief.

What about the relays and the intermittent start problem, no thoughts here?
No thoughts on this.

What's your source?
That is still my question to you.

Sounds like you are trying to be a little snarky here.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 PM
dodge29

Originally Posted by LVRR
That is still my question to you.

Sounds like you are trying to be a little snarky here.
What say we just wait and see?

Quick Reply: Hi and TIPM Relay Question