4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

Ticking sound when coasting?

Old 08-29-2017, 09:53 PM
etprime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truly sorry to hear you've gone through all that. Hopefully the mechanics/shop showed some remorse and embarrassment. You deserve a new truck

i've now put 20,000 miles on my truck, with the noise happening all along with zero issues. I recently bought a boat and I've been telling that up-and-down Hills and the truck runs like a champ, just doesn't sound like it

Old 08-31-2017, 02:41 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Collins
My truck is from Canada and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it as I have reads others in this thread say there truck is from Canada.
Not an issue. They're all from Warren Truck (Michigan); engines are from Mexico.

Originally Posted by Jim Collins
When you take it out of drive and put it in gear it stop or if you push on the brake or gas it makes the noise.
That is not consistent with the prevailing issue being discussed in this thread. The "noise" is associated with operating the vehicle with MDS active and under light/partial throttle load. You may have other problems over and above the heart ache you've already been through.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:06 PM
EMTMike
Default Just bought used 2011 Ram Hemi Laramie

I see that I am late in this forum but just wanted to share my recent experience.
A month ago I purchased a used 2011 1500 Laramie with 98,000 miles on it. I had never heard of this ticking issue prior to buying the vehicle. Day after buying the truck I used it to tow my camper and had no issues what so ever. However I was in tow/haul mode the whole time. Day after returning from trip I drive to work and notice strange ticking noise as I coast through small tunnel near my home. First though is that towing did something to rear end. With gearing in truck I'm rated for 8500 pounds and my camper dry is 7800 and loaded up I know I am slightly over that 8500 mark. Then noticed that ticking was more towards front and had no relation to engine RPM change. Found this forum a days later and realized this must be my issue. Only makes noise in ECO mode, and doesn't make noise when tow haul is engaged. I brought it back to the dealership and explained the issue. The service tech looked at me like I have two heads and crazy. They told me that they had never heard of this issue before. I took the shop foreman out for a test drive and drove under every bridge I could at 40mph windows down coasting. Finally he says he hears the ticking.
They keep the truck for the day and over night. Next afternoon I get a call and the foreman tells me the truck is all set to pick up. When I get the truck the foreman tell me that he call Chrysler about the issue. He says that they told him to disconnect the Cam phaser solenoid and take it for a drive to see if noise goes away. Foreman tells me he drove under every bridge coasting at 40mph and ticking had stopped. He said that he called Chrysler back to tell them that with solenoid disconnected there was no ticking. Chrysler stated that noise is normal wear on solenoid and no fix was required at this time because solenoid was working normal.
I explained to the foreman that I wanted that documented in service record of vehicle so that if it ever did cause issue I could fight to have it fixed on Chrysler's dime not mine.

So just thought that I would share my story and that Chrysler seems to think its just the solenoids now and that its normal.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:01 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the cam phaser solenoid was in the valley under the intake manifold. How did he disconnect it?

Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 PM
EMTMike
Default 2011 Dodge Tick

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I thought the cam phaser solenoid was in the valley under the intake manifold. How did he disconnect it?
I did not ask them that so I am not sure. I just reread the care notes on the invoice and just states that after solenoid was disconnected and no noise was heard.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:19 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional

Originally Posted by EMTMike
So just thought that I would share my story and that Chrysler seems to think its just the solenoids now and that its normal.
That's FCA's disingenuous way of telling ya that there's no way in HE double L that they're gonna fix your six-year-old truck. It's not normal and they (FCA) know that but of course they'll never admit that.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:34 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
That is correct, as is the associated wiring. That wiring is bundled with the MDS solenoid wiring and exits the back left of the plenum where it's connected to the engine main harness. That might be where they disconnected but that would have disabled all MDS solenoids as well. I still smell a rat...

Old 04-18-2018, 09:24 PM
John Mullins

I had the same issue on my 2011 sport and it was a bad MDS ( Multiple Displacement Solenoid ) It was only one that went bad but when they had it apart I replace all 4 of them

Old 05-18-2018, 01:22 AM
Fatherfunk
Default Im going to start a class action lawsuit on this

If anyones interested im going to start a class action on this. Because it has been going on far to long and nothing truly has been done by Chrysler to fix the problem or compensate us for it. I understand some of us have had the shops work on it for free. But all the time taken from you and from your truck is not ok.
Which Chrysler still has this problem and still seems to have very similar answers to say this isnt a common problem which it clearly is. This has gotten ridiculous. So if anyone is interested let me know.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Dusty48
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fatherfunk
If anyones interested im going to start a class action on this. Because it has been going on far to long and nothing truly has been done by Chrysler to fix the problem or compensate us for it. I understand some of us have had the shops work on it for free. But all the time taken from you and from your truck is not ok.
Which Chrysler still has this problem and still seems to have very similar answers to say this isnt a common problem which it clearly is. This has gotten ridiculous. So if anyone is interested let me know.
This is a shame, unfortunately, but understandable. I don't know why but a lot of field techs have been second guessing this issue for a long time.Granted, a number of components CAN cause this problem, but so many cams, lifters, timing chains, and MDS solenoids have been replaced and not resolved the issue. Somebody should have noticed the usage rates. It's also unfortunate that engineering hasn't zeroed in on what some have found to be the most common failure, the cam phaser. I admit a faulty cam phaser is not an easy thing to diagnose, but just throwing parts in the motor is not a good solution, either.

Regards,
Dusty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking sound when coasting?