4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn Bug Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HKS
More 2013 Crew Cab issues. #1 The new radio has crakling static on all AM stations. Some connector was probably damaged by removing the NAV/Radio several times.

#2 The 8 speed transmission does not disconnect the torque converter clutch before stopping. You can feel it disengage after a complete stop. I imagine reprograming the shift points may be in order. More later. Getting tired of going to the dealer for half my life. I am thinking maybe the 3.6 L V6 and simple radio system would be a better way to go.
What is the feeling you are getting for #2? Could it be the 'bump' that happens related to the fuel tank being around 3/4 full?

Rob

Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 PM
ltcprice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why go with nav

Originally Posted by HKS
I was on the phone (40min) on hold for 15 minutes. Went o the vehicle and followed the Dodge operators instructions. She finally determined it was a bad GPS update that wiped out the Uconnect function. The Dodge dealer is trying to squeeze me in during the lunch hour today. Dodge HQ gave a ticket number with a response in 5 days. I suspect any update affects the entire 8.4" center console display. I am going on a trip in 2 days when I need Uconnect. After that I could care less.

My advice is do not activate GPS $595 in the first place. It is an incomplete piece of junk. Or wait a year for Fiat engineers to get the bugs out of the software.
HKS

P.S. The lady at Dodge customer service needs to throw that cheap phone of hers in the trash. Audio sounded like mush.
I was thinking about getting the GPS for $595 but decided against it. i just use my iphone mounted to the window and it works great with either apple maps, google maps , or waze. the best part is i can keep them 595 bucks in my pocket

Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 PM
feyded

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
What is the feeling you are getting for #2? Could it be the 'bump' that happens related to the fuel tank being around 3/4 full?

Rob
I feel it too, its actually just an aggressive TC lockup, kind of annoying compared to the other vehicles Ive had or come from. Atleast it prevents me from using my brakes so much right?

Minor issue though.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM
HKS
Amateur

Originally Posted by feyded
I feel it too, its actually just an aggressive TC lockup, kind of annoying compared to the other vehicles Ive had or come from. Atleast it prevents me from using my brakes so much right?

Minor issue though.
You are right about not needing brakes when going downhill. But I would think the torque converter would unlock just before a dead stop.

HKS

Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 PM
pscoolberth

2013 Ram 1500/Big Horn...owned for one month. 800 miles. Nav Screen went black. Disconnected negative battery cable and the screen came back on after reconnecting. Wondering now if my vehicle has had the Apr 2013 update. Taking it in on Monday.

Thanks to everyone on this forum...hoping there is a fix.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM
HKS
Amateur
Default AM Radio STATIC Fix

Originally Posted by HKS
More 2013 Crew Cab issues. #1 The new radio has crakling static on all AM stations. Some connector was probably damaged by removing the NAV/Radio several times.

#2 The 8 speed transmission does not disconnect the torque converter clutch before stopping. You can feel it disengage after a complete stop. I imagine reprograming the shift points may be in order. More later. Getting tired of going to the dealer for half my life. I am thinking maybe the 3.6 L V6 and simple radio system would be a better way to go.

There is a bulletin out to fix the AM crackling noise on a strong AM station. The culprit is the ignition module even when engine is not running.

I am skeptical about this fix since the AM static changes with the voice level (Amplitude Modulation level). Almost like a switching power supply is changing frequency.

HKS

P.S. had to stand in line and wait another week after the parts arrived at the dealer.

Last edited by HKS; 10-09-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:58 PM
HKS
Amateur
Default AM Radio noise not fixed

Originally Posted by HKS
There is a bulletin out to fix the AM crackling noise on a strong AM station. The culprit is the ignition module even when engine is not running.

I am skeptical about this fix since the AM static changes with the voice lever (Amplitude Modulation level). Almost like a switching power supply is changing frequency.

HKS

P.S. had to stand in line and wait another week after the parts arrived at the dealer.

Dealer installed (cut wires) filter in ignition module wiring, signed off as fixed. I showed maintenance scheduler that is was not fixed. Now I have to wait and see if Chrysler will give me a new radio. Dealer lied on maintenance papers that I signed. It seems the noise is not there when the engine is off now. The only difference I can think of is the fact that there is 12 volts on the radio with engine off and 14.4 V with engine running the alternator.

Same symptoms, no static when radio announcer is silent. Static (crackling) when announcer is talking. Symptoms are worse on strong AM stations.
HKS

Last edited by HKS; 08-03-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HKS
Dealer installed (cut wires) filter in ignition module wiring, signed off as fixed. I showed maintenance scheduler that is was not fixed. Now I have to wait and see if Chrysler will give me a new radio. Dealer lied on maintenance papers that I signed. It seems the noise is not there when the engine is off now. The only difference I can think of is the fact that there is 12 volts on the radio with engine off and 14.4 V with engine running the alternator.

Same symptoms, no static when radio announcer is silent. Static (crackling) when announcer is talking. Symptoms are worse on strong AM stations.
HKS
dealer cut the wires...???? ohhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyy, this is not going to end well.
I find it very odd nobody else is having this problem... they should have just replaced the damd radio

Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 AM
HKS
Amateur
Default AM Radio Static On Strong Stations

Originally Posted by LU229
dealer cut the wires...???? ohhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyy, this is not going to end well.
I find it very odd nobody else is having this problem... they should have just replaced the damd radio

Cutting wires and installing filters is an official Ram approved fix for my problem. Did not work. There were instructions to make sure wires to the filter were no longer than 7". ????? Maybe the tech can't read.

I am betting on a broken antenna connector for when the dealer removed the radio the first time. I am going to ask to see the connectors when the radio is removed.

This problem only happens to the full blown 8.4" Multi-display radio, GPS nav, climate, bluetooth, XM,USB, SD system.

HKS
P.S. Star Case Number S1308000002 Release Date 2/15/2013 said " Installing capacitors may reduce amount of audible interference to an acceptable level".

Noise is not caused by spark plugs. It is caused by the 12 Volt operated electric fuel injectors.

Last edited by HKS; 08-12-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM
HKS
Amateur
Default Ram 1500 8.4" Display Radio

Got the 3rd radio installed. Did not fix AM reception problem. Still crackles on strong AM stations. Now the maintenance advisers switched tactics at Performance Dodge in Lincoln NE.

Now they say Chrysler is not interested in AM radio performance. I need to test drive another another 2013 Ram truck and check the radio.

I am about ready to give up on American made trucks with such lousy service support.

HKS

This problem started with the first software upgrades to the 8.4" display/radio/nav. Sounds like computer software interrupts/updates happening.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn Bug Report