4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

oil leak above filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:14 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Could have caused the head to warp by reinstalling improperly, or reusing the head bolts if they had it off a couple times. Odd that they removed it to drill out the manifold bolts though.
Or just plain sloppy workmanship after the fact (unclean surface`s going back together likely caused the leak) And back when i turned wrench`s for the last dealer i worked at, we had a headgasket recall on one particular model, we were told to re-use the headbolts, torqued properly, never had a come back with one single issue after the recall was over. Also consider, warranty only pays 1/2 the labor time vs non-warranty time to the tech, he`s gonna slam it out the door without much care to the customer OR the vehicle. I know THAT for a fact, i`ve watched many a tech`s do it. As for myself as a tech, i dont care how long it took me, i wanted the job done right the first time... that happy customer is my concern, they ARE my bread an butter. So what if you have to lose a little time on warranty, that happy customer will be back for other non-warranty service work, you`ll make up what you lost. I never lost alot on warranty work over the years either, and also gained many of great loyal customers for my actions. Dont see that anymore... get it in, get it out, worry about it if it comes back. Greed, thats all it is today.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by HEMI_ROM
Some exhaust manifold bolts on the other head had broke off a few months earlier. They ONLY replaced the broken ones even though I pleaded with them to replace them ALL. Of course the bolt on this head eventually broke and it sheared off at the head surface so they could not remove it. Hence they pulled the head and sent it to the shop to be drilled out. This is the head that was eventually replaced for the oil leak. Today I have brought it back in because there is some horrendous lifter noise? coming out of the new head. They have told me my truck is "jinxed" and I am certain they are sick of seeing me.
You took it in for one thing, they work on it, their inferior workmanship likely caused other problems is my guess (huhhhh...???...say it isnt so...!!!)

Old 05-29-2013, 12:25 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Originally Posted by oldjeep
If you have lifter noise in the head of a pushrod V8, you've got some really big issues
LOL, correct. I meant to say valve train noise of some type. Of course the truth is I do not know for sure, just guessing based on the clacking noise. When I let off the gas is when it starts in.

Quick Reply: oil leak above filter