4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding turn signal side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
ericschroyer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding turn signal side mirrors

Any info on adding side mirrors with turn signals on a 2013 Ram w/o turn signal side mirrors. Heard it can't be done. Called dealer for info and was told the whole door would have to be rewired. Not sure I believe that.

Are 2012 and 2013 that different? Apart from the interior upgrades they appear completely similar. Maybe I'm wrong. NEED HELP!

Old 07-13-2013, 04:42 PM
ericschroyer

So far no help. After removing the door panels and inspecting the control module that the current mirrors are connected to, there seems to be a place to plug in the additional connector for the turn signals/puddle lamps. Hesitantly, I went ahead and rolled the dice on a pair of side mirrors with integrated turn signals. Not sure if they will work, but at least it will provide some important info to anyone else looking to do the same thing. If it turns out they don't work, I will probably list them for sale on ebay. Keep an eye out for them(but hopefully not).

Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can plug them in but they won't work if the truck didn't come with them. Some say that you can get the dealer to activate the option via starscan, I've never bothered trying since I just wanted the tow mirrors, didn't care about the signals or puddle lights.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 AM
ericschroyer

Thanks for the update oldjeep!

Just sent the seller a message to cancel my order. Hope they get the message before they process the order.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:38 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

This is one of those mysteries. I have seen so many threads on so many forums claiming they can be programmed to work and just as many saying they can't. If they can't be added to a truck that didn't come with them in the computer, what the hell was Ram thinking?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:31 PM
ericschroyer

My sentiment exactly.

Seems to me that Ram/Dodge/Fiat went to a lot of trouble for something that should simply plug in and work. Like I posted in an earlier thread, the control modules are mounted into the door support and there is a place to plug them in, but the ECU has to tell the signals to work? And the "Scanstar" tool costs about a month's salary. Imagine I'll just stick with my non-turn signal mirrors.

And the dealer that I bought the mirrors from was kind enough to cancel our transaction and will refund my money. Financial crisis averted.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:03 AM
ericschroyer

Thank you to all for the helpful input. Also seems that changing out the headlights/taillights will also be a nightmare.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:24 PM
maka
Amateur

You can hardwire them yourselves. I have an express and had the plug but the wires were dead (sales code would have to be added) So I tapped into the existing wires and wired everything up myself. I love the look and makes my truck look more expensive.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 AM
hunter99
Amateur

Supposedly it can now be done. I believe they released the sales codes I am listing below at the beginning of August. Heard it was so they could eliminate the non, and extremely rare, tow mirrors without the turn signals.

Anyway, here are the codes to try.

LEBA - External Mirrors with Turn Signals
LECA - External Mirrors with Courtesy Lamps

I would call the dealer and ask the service department about it. I never tried it but thought it was worth a shot. Never got too, I ended trading my Ram yesterday for a new one.

Quick Reply: Adding turn signal side mirrors