4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel bearring hub

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 PM
capsfloyd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearring hub

2009 cc 1500 ram 190,000
Having to have both hubs replaced
Drivers side window/lock control went 1/2 bad ... Mirrors not working sometime

Bet news max pro care. 100.00 deductible .... Got love it

Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

Originally Posted by capsfloyd
2009 cc 1500 ram 190,000
Having to have both hubs replaced
Drivers side window/lock control went 1/2 bad ... Mirrors not working sometime

This is why I am putting money aside to buy the warranty. 2k+ is not cheap, but neither are hubs and electrical.

Enjoy your rental car too!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM
lhedrick

Have to wonder,,,,,,, why would a person spend so much on a truck if it needs an extra 2K warranty? Sounds like a bad deal.

Trucks are supposed to be able to do real work.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:31 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lhedrick
Have to wonder,,,,,,, why would a person spend so much on a truck if it needs an extra 2K warranty? Sounds like a bad deal.

It is insurance - you decide if you want to pay 2K up front or pay for the repairs 200K miles later. I don't have the extra warranty, but it doesn't take much to get up to 2K worth of repair bills, especially if something electronic goes out.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:28 PM
SMGFATMAN71
Professional

Every Mechanical object is prone to failure; i like knowing im prepared for the inevitable. 2k for lifetime bumper to bumper coverage, sounds like a bargain to me.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 PM
lhedrick

My current truck is 19 years old 160,000 miles. Standard cab, 8 foot bed V6 and it still gets 19 MPG. No engine failures ever.

No automatic anything, crank up windows, manual trans, lock/free hubs, manual transfer case.

Less then 1500 in repairs (muffler, brake pads, timing belt, the usual maintenance items) In 19 years, paid 16,000 for the truck new. The stuff they call a truck today is weak.

A button to activate a motor, which moves a manual linkage to shift a transfer case into 4WD. Why not get rid of 2 of the parts and have a lever in the cab which won't break?

So why do I want all that electronic stuff? If I need to buy insurance because the truck is going to break, it's time to buy a different truck.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:28 AM
Atomic Dog
Professional

My current truck is 19 years old 160,000 miles. Standard cab, 8 foot bed V6 and it still gets 19 MPG. No engine failures ever.

No automatic anything, crank up windows, manual trans, lock/free hubs, manual transfer case.

Less then 1500 in repairs (muffler, brake pads, timing belt, the usual maintenance items) In 19 years, paid 16,000 for the truck new. The stuff they call a truck today is weak.

A button to activate a motor, which moves a manual linkage to shift a transfer case into 4WD. Why not get rid of 2 of the parts and have a lever in the cab which won't break?

So why do I want all that electronic stuff? If I need to buy insurance because the truck is going to break, it's time to buy a different truck.
Sounds to me like you should buy a Ford F150. I think you would be happier.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:09 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you - sounds like you don't have a 4th gen ram - why are you here?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 AM
lhedrick

My current Toyota T100 is 19 years old. It's still running fine but it's time to think about a replacement. Rust is starting to take it out.

So I am looking at all the new models. What I am finding is that all the 1/2 ton light trucks, RAM 1500, GM 1500, Ford F150, Tundra have turned into the Chevy Impala Station of the modern era. That's kind of ok but some of us still want basic work trucks.

It looks like I may need to move up to a 3/4 ton just because the are more solid and 1500 pounds heavier also.

Each year the Feds are requiring higher MPG standard among other stuff like traction controls, ABS on and on and on. We are closing in on a time when the 1/2 tons truck will not longer be able to do any real work without the doors falling off. I need to buy soon or move up to a very heave 3/4 ton truck. If I wait too long a 1/2 ton truck won't be worth buying.

I am here to find out what people are saying about their RAMs. Sounds like the 5.7 is a very solid engine but there seems to many other issues. For me the V6 would be fine but it won't be available in the 2500.

One disturbing thing I am finding is that people just accept that their 45000 dollar truck is going to cost them a lot in repairs. Seems strange to spend 45000 on a truck and figure it's so weak it will need a truck medical insurance policy. I have never had to do that in the past.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 PM
clipper77
Veteran

Originally Posted by capsfloyd

My GF purchased an extended warranty when she bought her Passat used...it covered the engine and tranny when they both blew up at ~100k.

Saved her ALOT of money in the long run.

Props to you.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearring hub