4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding tow hooks and aftermarket hitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013 | 07:45 AM
rengnath
|
Champion
Default Adding tow hooks and aftermarket hitch

Hey everyone,

I just traded in my 2012 Chrysler 200 for a 2013 Ram 1500 Express. Prior to the 200 I owned a 2005 Dakota, so it feels good to be back in a truck.

I looked at a few different Express Rams and chose this one because of the color/chrome wheels and because it had the LSD. Unfortunately, it was the only truck that I looked at that didn't come with a hitch (but it at least has the 4 and 7 pin wiring).

I was wondering if anyone has installed an aftermarket hitch on the 13 that you would recommend. Or am I better off just buying the OEM one since it isn't much more expensive. I'd like to do a Class IV, and not looking to tow anything in specific but would like it there for when I need it and to prevent the people who play bumper cars when parking.

Also, I was interested in installing a set of front tow hooks but I can't find any threads about them for the 13 model. Has anyone added these? What's the difficulty level, and can it be done with leaving the front bumper on?

And heres a picture of the truck:

Attached Thumbnails Adding tow hooks and aftermarket hitch-photo1_zpsf7e57e86.jpg  
Old 09-22-2013 | 05:52 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

Good looking truck. I have the same question about the tow hooks. Regarding the hitch...I just tried an extra class iv from a gen 3 ram I had laying around. It all lined up except because I have the CC instead of your QC my spare tire was in the way by about 2 inches. Other than that it woulda fit right up (I had the pumper pulled, bed lifted, etc, so it really did fit - I didn't just take a tape measure...)

Otherwise, I'm betting the oem ones are one of the better deals and might just bolt onto your existing rear bumper (these rams are just like your old Dakota which has the heavy duty rear bumper ready for a hitch).

Congrats on the upgrade from a 200!

Old 09-24-2013 | 09:30 PM
b.rad
Amateur

If you are having questions about a hitch, go with OEM. That is definitely something you do not want to skimp on. If you want to go otherwise, buy one form summitracing. Their products and customer service is top notch. As for tow hooks, you can always be the guinea pig!

Old 09-24-2013 | 09:48 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I had tow hooks on my '09 Sport, removed them when I traded the truck two months ago for a '13 Sport. The bumper is a little different with the '13 model, however the mounting points are the same.

I chose not to modify my bumper insert this time around, so I'm selling the hooks from my '09. Kinda prefer the look without the hooks although the hooks were very useful at times.

Old 09-24-2013 | 09:50 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Hey, is that Palmen, Kenosha? Just noticed the plate tag.

Old 09-25-2013 | 10:35 AM
ZIPPO973
Amateur

Beautiful truck,..... are you handicapped?

Old 09-28-2013 | 09:20 AM
rengnath
|
Champion

Thanks for the replies everyone. Have been busy lately so didn't have time to reply.

I did end up buying the tow hooks. I got them for $130 after tax and they were pretty easy to install. They required a small hole cut in the bezel of the bumper which was pretty easy to do with a sharp razor blade. The only thing I'm not to happy with is the hooks clear the bumper with less than a couple millimeters.

For the hitch, I just ordered a Curt Class IV off of Amazon last night for $113 shipped so that should be here next week.

And that is Palmen in Racine. I usually deal with Griffin in Milwaukee, but Palmen had the truck with the options that I wanted. And the handicap spot is where they decided to deliver the truck (even though all the other spots were empty, lol)

Old 09-28-2013 | 08:03 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Kenosha, Racine, what's the difference, lol. I don't get that far south to often, just know a tech in our state run chrysler club works their.

To bad you didn't see this sooner, I could of saved you $55 on the hooks, I'm selling mine for $75, look brand new. I know whay you mean with clearance, that's why I chose not to install them, my '09 Sport had the larger bumper insert with ea sy clearance.

Old 09-28-2013 | 11:12 PM
CHRGD
Professional

Originally Posted by rengnath
Thanks for the replies everyone. Have been busy lately so didn't have time to reply.

I did end up buying the tow hooks. I got them for $130 after tax and they were pretty easy to install. They required a small hole cut in the bezel of the bumper which was pretty easy to do with a sharp razor blade. The only thing I'm not to happy with is the hooks clear the bumper with less than a couple millimeters.

If I may ask, where did you get the hooks. I did see some on Ebay for $120. And can we get a pic of the hooks installed, and the closeness you were talking about. I'm thinking of adding some to my 2013. I know you said your busy, so when you get time, thanks.

Old 09-29-2013 | 09:59 AM
rengnath
|
Champion

Originally Posted by CHRGD
If I may ask, where did you get the hooks. I did see some on Ebay for $120. And can we get a pic of the hooks installed, and the closeness you were talking about. I'm thinking of adding some to my 2013. I know you said your busy, so when you get time, thanks.
No problem, I'll snap some pics tonight. I bought them from the dealer with employee pricing. List on them was in the $160 range. One thing to mention, they don't list the tow hooks as an accessory for the 2013 and the tow hooks that they pull up are $200 plus the bolts. The part number you want is 82210967, and it is listed as fitting the 13. Pics to come.

Quick Reply: Adding tow hooks and aftermarket hitch