4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5 Year Lifetime Powertrain Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5 Year Lifetime Powertrain Inspections

The inspection process has begun for those of us with early 09 models. My in service date is October 29, 2008, so I need to get my done soon.

What exactly are they supposed to be checking? My dealer said that it will take a full day to complete. That blows my mind, just doesn't seem to be that much to "check".

What has been the experience of other owners that have had their 5 year inspection?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's not a full day. They do a powertrain inspection. If your dealer is especially busy, they probably just want you to leave it for the day.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:10 AM
mike2810
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is not due till Feb 2014 +- 60 days. I looked at the warrenty book. It gives no information on what is going to be done. It states the inspection is free.
Guess I will find out in Jan or Feb.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:25 PM
WESIDE
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info. Where would I look for this date? Build date or purchase date? And is this every 5 years?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:09 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WESIDE
Good info. Where would I look for this date? Build date or purchase date? And is this every 5 years?
It's from the "In Service" date, most likely the Sell date. You can go to Dodge website and inquire, call your dealer OR you can PM Dodgecares, Master Tech or Me with the last 8 of your VIN # and one of us can check for you.

As far as I know it doesn't apply to the Lifetime Maxcare ....YET. Only to the Lifetime Factory Powertrain that came with some cars/trucks. MaterTech posted a global announcement at the top of the forums, but I may make a Sticky at some point.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:08 PM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNtech
It's from the "In Service" date, most likely the Sell date. You can go to Dodge website and inquire, call your dealer OR you can PM Dodgecares, Master Tech or Me with the last 8 of your VIN # and one of us can check for you.

As far as I know it doesn't apply to the Lifetime Maxcare ....YET. Only to the Lifetime Factory Powertrain that came with some cars/trucks. MaterTech posted a global announcement at the top of the forums, but I may make a Sticky at some point.

For those with Maxcare and lifetime warranty I would be resolute about having the inspections performed. It's true that the Maxcare warranty does not require inspections however, if you look at the Maxcare contract it (Maxcare) excludes everything that the lifetime warranty covers.
In theory, they have the legal right to deny lifetime power train coverage even if you have Maxcare if the LT warranty is voided in any way (not having inspection performed).
I'm not a lawyer but imho, that's how the Maxcare contract could be interpreted legally.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The dealer does a few things during inspection.

First they validate the VIP (computer information - owner/warranty eligibility.)

If all four required validations are passed, then the physical inspection is done.

The dealer checks for visible leaks, physical damage, any mods that have affected the powertrain, fluid condition and level, and any DTCs.

As the dealer goes through a checklist, any (warrantable or non-warrantable) related work must be authorized and performed.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:09 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

And get a copy of the paperwork saying it was done. Do not leave it, or any other paperwork records in your vehicle. My dealership started walking away with my paperwork for the 5 year check....took 45 minutes BTW....so I had to ask for the copy back. Slimey, slimey....

Old 10-14-2013, 02:54 PM
mike2810
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I get mine done, besides getting a copy of the paperwork, I plan to have the service adviser sign the warranty book.

Five Year Inspection Interval
Powertrain inspected
_________________ _____________
Odometer Reading Date
____________ _____________
Repair Order # Dealer Code

Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

LOL...I didn't even read the whole thing. Do you have to go again in another five years?

Quick Reply: 5 Year Lifetime Powertrain Inspections