4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5 Year Lifetime Powertrain Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:49 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike2810
It makes sense that if during the inspection they find something wrong it has to be repaired to maintain the powertrain warranty. Hopefully, when they find something much if not all will be covered.
Probably a good time to catch people who don't bother changing diff fluid or trans fluid.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HEMI_ROM
So now I have to wonder. Lets say I hit 300,000 miles and my engine is tired, smoking a little, low compression on a few cylinders, making lifter noise etc. BUT its still running. Will they rebuild/replace my engine or only address issues one at a time as they come up? This will happen at some point in the future for us "lifetimers" as we rack up the miles. Yes I lay awake at night worrying about such things
Very interesting question! I would think that this discussion only applies to the power train repairs needed. If you need new brakes I don't think they can force you repair that. What if you fail the state inspection for safety/emissions that are not covered by the power train warranty? As you say, if it's smoking and won't pass inspections, who foots the bill?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:22 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Probably a good time to catch people who don't bother changing diff fluid or trans fluid.
I remember reading that while maintenance is encouraged, it will not void your warranty unless it is the cause of the failure. So, if your diff fluid is sludge but is still in good working order, it will not void your warranty. That I do have a problem with because bad maintenance is a culprit, but i did read it in the warranty info on Dodge's website

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
Very interesting question! I would think that this discussion only applies to the power train repairs needed. If you need new brakes I don't think they can force you repair that. What if you fail the state inspection for safety/emissions that are not covered by the power train warranty? As you say, if it's smoking and won't pass inspections, who foots the bill?
Only issues that directly affect the Powertrain would be required to be repaired.
If the engine fails inspection due to smoking, that is something that would be covered under warranty.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:07 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I would expect only things within the scope of the original power train warranty to be covered. So if you have worn valves and they get into there to repair and discover excessive cyl wear for example, will they find it more expedient to just replace the 300,000 mile engine rather than keep taking it apart to rebuild a bunch of worn out things one at a time? I don't know the answer. Seems like at that point it is more cost effective to rebuild or replace the entire engine. Then would they do it again after another 300,000 miles? We may be the first owners to have the factory keep our power trains in order, until we die.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 PM
capsfloyd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told that if the cost of the repair is MORE than the truck is worth hey would write you a check for the amount of your truck?
My 5 yr one up in Febuarey
2009 Rambox cc. 196,000

Old 01-01-2014, 11:52 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Originally Posted by capsfloyd
I was told that if the cost of the repair is MORE than the truck is worth hey would write you a check for the amount of your truck?
My 5 yr one up in Febuarey
2009 Rambox cc. 196,000
Interesting, this may be but I don't see it in writing. Did the dealer tell you this? Below is all I can find in print about the Chrysler lifetime warranty. The last line (What does lifetime mean?) is interesting:

__________________________________________________ ___________

LIFETIME POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY

The first of its kind to be offered by any automaker. Ever. Because with this warranty, you're covered, and it lasts for as long as you own your vehicle. A Lifetime warranty provides worry-free ownership for new Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge owners.

Who Is Eligible?

You are eligible for the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are the first registered owner or lessee of 2006, 2007, 2008 or 2009 Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep vehicle. Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not eligible. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle 18 transferred by operation of law are also not eligible.

What's Covered?

The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed below that is defective in workmanship and materials. There is no coverage for towing in the event of disablement.

When It Begins

The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty begins at the end of the Basic Limited Warranty.

Excluded Vehicles

SRT vehicles, Sprinter vehicles, diesel equipped vehicles, all Ram Cab/Chassis vehicles, rental vehicles and government vehicles are not covered. Vehicles used as a police vehicle, taxi, limousine, postal delivery vehicle, or ambulance are not covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty.

Parts Covered

The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty coven the parts and components of your vehicle's powertrain supplied by Chrysler Motors Company LLC:

Gasoline Engine: ■cylinder block and all internal parts
■cylinder head assemblies
■timing case
■timing chain
■timing belt
■gears and sprockets
■vibration damper
■oil pump
■water pump and housing
■intake and exhaust manifolds
■flywheel with starter ring gear
■core plugs
■valve covers
■oil pan
■turbocharger housing and internal parts
■turbocharger wastegate actuator
■supercharger
■serpentine belt tensioner
■seals and gaskets for listed components only

Transmission: ■transmission case and all internal parts
■torque converter
■drive/flex plate
■transmission range switch
■transmission control module
■bell housing
■oil pan
■MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME

Front Wheel Drive: ■transaxle case and all internal parts
■axle shaft assemblies
■constant velocity joints and boots
■differential cover
■oil pan
■transaxle speed sensors
■transaxle solenoid assembly
■PRNDL position switch
■transaxle electronic controller
■torque converter
■flywheel with starter ring gear
■MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME

All Wheel Drive (AWD): ■power transfer unit and all internal parts
■viscous coupler
■axle housing and all internal parts
■constant velocity joints and boots
■driveshaft and axle shaft assemblies
■differential carrier assembly and all internal parts
■output ball bearing
■output flange
■end cover
■overrunning clutch
■vacuum motor
■torque tube
■pinion spacer and shim

Rear Wheel Drive: ■rear axle housing and all internal parts
■axle shafts
■axle shaft bearings
■drive shaft assemblies
■drive shaft center bearings
■universal joints and yokes

Four-Wheel Drive (4x4): ■transfer case and all internal parts
■transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly
■axle housing and all internal parts
■axle shafts
■axle shaft bearings
■drive shafts assemblies (front and rear)
■drive shaft center bearings
■universal joints and yokes
■disconnect housing assembly
■seals and gaskets for the listed components only

When Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty Does Not Apply

You can not be covered by The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are a second or subsequent owner of the vehicle.

Inspections

In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by the Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage.

What does 'lifetime' mean?

Lifetime is lifetime.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

What's Covered?

The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed below that is defective in workmanship and materials.
This is just funning, but what if things are worn out but not defective? We'll get good coverage and Chrysler will take care of us that stick with the truck upkeep, I'm sure. It just feels like there are a bunch of Chicago lawyers around every turn.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So now I have to wonder. Lets say I hit 300,000 miles and my engine is tired, smoking a little, low compression on a few cylinders, making lifter noise etc. BUT its still running. Will they rebuild/replace my engine or only address issues one at a time as they come up? This will happen at some point in the future for us "lifetimers" as we rack up the miles. Yes I lay awake at night worrying about such things
I'm betting they will go with the odds and they will send you away until it actually breaks. The odds are still that you will get rid of the truck, killing the warranty, before anything breaks. Had a tranny shop tell me that the tranny had a couple thousand miles left on it due to the metal in the fluid but the warranty company refused to pay until it finally died on the side of the road. It cost them twice as much but they told me they play the odds and win more then they lose.

Just imagine how many 2009s have been sold/traded killing the warranty. It would be interesting to see the actual numbers.

The following users liked this post:
qicvick (10-29-2019)
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

On Monday the wife and grandson had my truck . They got back in it and would not start
It would turn over , but not fire
We have Geico ins . Called them and tow jam showed up in 30 min

Thursday got truck back from dealer
Fuel pump , and found thermostat gasket leaking
Covered under max care cost 100.00

They also did the 5 yr inspection , truck has 196,000
No notes from dealer on inspection

Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM
MattsMountain
Professional

I must be coming up on my 5 year checkup as well. Do they call you, send you a post-card or is this something I have to be proactive and set up myself?

Quick Reply: 5 Year Lifetime Powertrain Inspections