4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Have you had this much trouble 11 Ram sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013 | 03:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Sorry Guys.

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. SUBJECT:
Engine Ticking Sound In Cold Temperatures
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replace the exhaust manifold bolts for cylinders 7 and 8 with new
stainless steel higher strength bolts.
MODELS:
2009 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (Sales code EZD
or EZH) built before August 14, 2009 (MDH 0814XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some Customers may notice a ticking sound heard at start-up in cold ambient
temperatures. This sound could be less noticeable as the engine warms to normal
operating temperature. This condition may be caused by broken or loose exhaust manifold
bolts for cylinders 7 and 8.
DIAGNOSIS:
If customers complain of the symptom/condition, perform the following repair procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
4 06509544AA Stud, Exhaust Manifold (7 & 8 cylinders)
AR (9) 06507746AA Bolt, Exhaust Manifold (only necessary if
exhaust manifolds are removed)
AR (1) 53032965AF Gasket, Left Exhaust Manifold (only
necessary if exhaust manifolds are removed)
AR (1) 53032966AF Gasket, Right Exhaust Manifold (only
necessary if exhaust manifolds are removed)
NUMBER: 11-002-11
GROUP: Exhaust System
DATE: February 17, 2011
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Raise vehicle on a hoist.
2. Remove the exhaust manifold heat shields from both sides.
NOTE: The exhaust manifold bolts may be broken. If possible use vise grips to
attempt removal without removing the exhaust manifold.
3. Remove exhaust manifold bolts on cylinder 7.
4. Can bolts be removed without removing exhaust manifold?
a. Yes >>> Replace exhaust manifold bolts (2 only) torque to 25 Nm (18 Ft. Lbs.),
install heat shield, torque to 8 Nm (70 In. Lbs.) and proceed to Step #5
b. No >>> Remove exhaust manifold remove and replace all bolts, replace exhaust
manifold gasket. Follow the detailed service procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 9 - Engine > Manifolds >
Manifold, Exhaust, Installation procedures. Proceed to Step #5
5. Remove exhaust manifold bolts on cylinder 8.
6. Can bolts be removed without removing exhaust manifold?
a. Yes >>> Replace exhaust manifold bolts (2 only) torque to 25 Nm (18 Ft. Lbs.),
install heat shield, torque to 8 Nm (70 In. Lbs.).
b. No >>> Remove exhaust manifold remove and replace all bolts, replace exhaust
manifold gasket. Follow the detailed service procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 9 - Engine > Manifolds >
Manifold, Exhaust, Installation procedures.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation
No:
Description Amount
09-45-01-94 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 7 and 8 Replace
(B)
1.3 Hrs.
09-45-01-97 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 7 Replace /
Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 8 (B)
1.9 Hrs.
09-45-01-98 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 8 Replace /
Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 7 (B)
1.9 Hrs.
09-45-01-99 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Broken Exhaust Manifold
Bolts Cylinder 7 and 8 (B)
2.4 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:

Old 11-06-2013 | 07:28 AM
onegoodmason
|
Veteran

Thanks for the TBS . Just as I suspected , it's the manifold bolts . Thing is , this has been an issue since new . Also , temp has nothing to do with it , hot , cold , doesn't really matter . I did a video at 3 months old , and about 5-7k . I'll try to upload it off my phone after work . The dealer tech said manifold bolts right away too , then I showed the video , and took him to hear the engine . He doesn't think bolts any more .

Stopped by the dealer yesterday late afternoon , I swear I am going to have to start recording these conversations . Service adviser told me the t case was being replaced new , rear diff was rebuilt with new bearings , and the other things on the list done or being completed last friday . Yesterday , she said they put the t-case back together and need to test drive it to see it that was the source of the vibrations . I questioned her . "Is there a new t-case installed or not ?" Couldn't answer . "was my rear diff worked on or not ? again , couldn't answer . Says I need to wait till tomorrow to find out what's done . This is why I hate dealing with 99% of the women in the automotive industry , it's like having the hair on your bag plucked one by one . It's coming ome today if it's in one piece . I'll bring it somewhere else if it's not fixed , and , add it to my file with Chrysler . Today is business day 7 having my truck in the shop . Pretty sure I could have fixed everything in 2 tops with the parts .

You got to be able to see why I am frustrated with this situation by now . Not only has my truck been a total disappointment , but , so has my dealer experience . Did I mention when I got the torque convertor replaced , I had to tighten the clamps on the exhaust ? I picked it back up after hours , right away , it seemed louder but , nobody is there so I drive home . Check it out , 2 clamps loose . Makes a guy wonder what else isn't tight .

That's the latest update

Old 11-22-2013 | 07:41 PM
onegoodmason
|
Veteran

I got lots to update , but first , the video I mentioned in my last post . Was actually 5 months from new when taken . It's never quiet , but only occasionally this loud . I hear it going through the drive thru every time as the sound bounces off the wall .

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/one...58495.mp4.html .

Here's the link to the t-case video . This was after the first time I was told it checked out fine , and was shown before the second time I was told it checked out fine .

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/one...f4aaf.mp4.html

Old 11-22-2013 | 08:26 PM
onegoodmason
|
Veteran

I have applied for , and proceeding with CAMVAP . An arbitration process . Chrysler contacted me and made an offer .

Offer 1 : pay $1000 to me to compensate the time in the garage (pymnts) Work with me in resolving any issues , and I would have to sign off an agreement .

The extended warranty was quoted $4000+ , $1000 doesn't go far repairing or buying a warranty . Surprising enough was that offer , it's almost an insult .

OR

Offer 2 : Get an employee discount and buy a new truck . WTF was that . Take a near 20k hit on my truck, still owe 10-12 after the trade , and finance another 15k to buy new ?

Basically , an offer to make them money , and cost me more . I don't get it , was I suppose to be all happy and jump on that ? Chrysler doesn't give it's customer's any credit what so ever . Both "offers" were turned down .

Via CAMVAP , they can be ordered a buy back with use reduction . It still equals more than the trade in value by approx $6000 . I made a counter offer to have just my warranty extended for my piece of mind . Normally , I would just fix anyting on my own but I figure , with so many issues till now , the future looks bleak and why should I have to pay . I might never have to use it . That would cost nobody anything . I really think I was more than fair . It's a win win idea . DECLINED .

So , I await my time with Chrysler and the arbitrator . I have pics , videos , records of service , records of conversations etc etc etc . They know they have a poor chance , or I would not have gotten a offer

Old 11-25-2013 | 08:36 AM
onegoodmason
|
Veteran

Not so sure the t-case is functioning properly . Am I suppose to feel it engage , after it's switched to 4hi lock or 4 low lock , and every time from a stand still when locked in ? That's what I expect from the AWD , not the 4x4 . I can duplicate the video above , and have . Only difference is no noise and the truck jerks , wanting to engage . With no gas applied , it's in low range , and only the pass tire spinning on a slippery surface .

Have to film from my cam off the phone and load the video . Will do later today .

Does that sound normal ? Never had this system before but it's not like anything else I own(ed) . Maybe Dodge defines "lock" different than me .

Last edited by onegoodmason; 11-25-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Have you had this much trouble 11 Ram sport