4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4WHi on Highway - Major mechanical breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for fun - this is a picture of the output shaft of one of my jeep transfer cases.

And the rear axle shafts

4wd can be tough on parts if there is no slip.

Last edited by oldjeep; 11-16-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the OP per the dealer;

Story: Front diff pinion bearing seized, pinion then twisted off. Then the front drive shaft hit the engine mount bracket and tweaked and split the transmission case. The drive shaft also hit the engine oil pan and made 2 dents on the side of it. The pinion got jammed in the ring gear and cause the front differential case to split. The front differential got so hot from the seized pinion bearing that the fill plug and the wiring harness closest to the front diff melted.

I don't see how the pinion bearing would get so hot if the transfer case failed or if the pinion gear just snapped. Sure sounds like the root cause is a seized bearing and I don't see that being caused by being in 4WD at high speeds.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is fun.haha.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:30 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
From the OP per the dealer;

Story: Front diff pinion bearing seized, pinion then twisted off. Then the front drive shaft hit the engine mount bracket and tweaked and split the transmission case. The drive shaft also hit the engine oil pan and made 2 dents on the side of it. The pinion got jammed in the ring gear and cause the front differential case to split. The front differential got so hot from the seized pinion bearing that the fill plug and the wiring harness closest to the front diff melted.

I don't see how the pinion bearing would get so hot if the transfer case failed or if the pinion gear just snapped. Sure sounds like the root cause is a seized bearing and I don't see that being caused by being in 4WD at high speeds.
I don't see a diff housing getting hot enough to melt a fill plug from a failing bearing either

Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey oldjeep, what xfer case is that? It doesn't look like my D300

One of the things I taught my son when I bought him his own CJ, "go ahead, leave it in 4wd. Just don't come get me when the damn lever won't move!" He learned.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:21 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Duso02
Hey oldjeep, what xfer case is that? It doesn't look like my D300

One of the things I taught my son when I bought him his own CJ, "go ahead, leave it in 4wd. Just don't come get me when the damn lever won't move!" He learned.
D18 out of a 46 CJ

Old 01-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks like the kind of damage from rock crawling when a wheel gets sudden traction on a rock, or some one jumped a truck in 4WD.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjeep
I don't see a diff housing getting hot enough to melt a fill plug from a failing bearing either
Really? Isn't the bearing pressed on the shaft, so if the bearing freezes, now your forcing the 2 parts that are pressed together to rotate. I could see how that would get scorching hot very quick. Those rubber plugs are soft and pliable. Unless the wiring was touching the case, I dont see how that would melt though.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:58 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
That looks like the kind of damage from rock crawling when a wheel gets sudden traction on a rock, or some one jumped a truck in 4WD.
Or you are running 37's with a welded diff and operate the throttle like it is an on/off switch

Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Really? Isn't the bearing pressed on the shaft, so if the bearing freezes, now your forcing the 2 parts that are pressed together to rotate. I could see how that would get scorching hot very quick. Those rubber plugs are soft and pliable. Unless the wiring was touching the case, I dont see how that would melt though.
Possible, but in every instance I've seen - as soon as the bearing welds itself to the race then the pinion snaps. Having welded on a lot of diff housings I cannot see how you would ever generate enough heat to get to a plug on the cover before everything exploded.

Quick Reply: 4WHi on Highway - Major mechanical breakdown