4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4WHi on Highway - Major mechanical breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Duso02
No worries. Most of these part-time systems are just electronic versions of the old manual systems. When you used to have to get out of the cab, lock each hub manually, then get back in and wrestle with a lever on the floor, you tended to use it as a last resort!!! I would probably estimate about 75-80% of the part-time 4wds sold could easily be replaced with 2wd.
I do agree with the for the most part. I constantly hear guys in 4wd trucks who say; "yeah, didnt even have to put in 4wd during the blizzard". Why not use it if you have it? Can't stand that. So, yeah, most probably dont even need it, but have it for that 'just in case' scenario that likely doesnt happen. Canadians...different story.

If the conditions don't allow for me to put my truck in 4wd, I take my '03 Buick that has 4 snows on it. Drives better than any truck in 2wd.

Truck moves from my driveway for 2 reasons.... To Tow, or to be in 4wd during a storm. That is it! I only use it for what it's meant for. I do my daily driving in something more practical which has more than paid for itself in gas savings.
In the 6yrs of owning my truck, I have saved $9k in gas alone. Plus, my truck is worth ~$4k more because of the ridiculously low mileage!

Quick Reply: 4WHi on Highway - Major mechanical breakdown